Youtube..

May 16, 2017
Hello
When somone put videos online doing a trick and teaching that trick to people ,is that a normal thing to do, when he credit who invented the trick or the move would that be enough ?

I khow that law wont do anything but lest say law protects the idea ,does the law gonna stop them from what they are doing then (like a copyrighted thing)..

Thank you

Hey achmne,

Even if the "revealer" credits the person who invented the trick, it's still not good. Compare it to someone who records a movie, credits the director, staff, and cast, and then uploads it for free. It's still considered piracy.

Copyright laws can help get videos taken down from YouTube, but that doesn't mean the videos that are still up are "legal."

Never "teach" anything that isn't yours on YouTube. Imagine if you invented a piece of magic and that happened to you. (Unless you're okay with it, I guess).

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The only legal protection is for the video teaching the trick itself. Meaning if someone uploads Jason England's Pass video, that's a copyright violation. If someone records themselves doing everything Jason England does in that video, that is legal.

It is not, however, ethical or in my opinion moral.

Revealing tricks is, in my opinion, lame and kind of sad, for a variety of reasons.

Sep 18, 2017
Indeed; ever mind the Magician's Code: Never reveal the secret! Doing so destroys the magic. It reaffirms in the minds of the faithless that there really isn't anything more to reality than what they can perceive with their ordinary senses; that there's nothing more to them than mere flesh and bone; biological clockwork.

They need to believe in magic. So much more will seem possible to them; it can really open some doors. :)

--Muolidae the Magician

Apr 26, 2016
Indeed; ever mind the Magician's Code: Never reveal the secret! Doing so destroys the magic. It reaffirms in the minds of the faithless that there really isn't anything more to reality than what they can perceive with their ordinary senses; that there's nothing more to them than mere flesh and bone; biological clockwork.

They need to believe in magic. So much more will seem possible to them; it can really open some doors. :)

--Muolidae the Magician
If we never reveal it, there won't ever be new magicians! For the most part, if you want to teach something that is yours, feel free! That is your choice. For the rest, I would stick to very basic, public domain things. Things such as how to palm a card, how to do a double lift, how to do a false cut. These are things that have been taught over and over, and would cause very little to no harm to the secrecy of magic. Now, teaching someone's original effect, that would be highly immoral.
The bottom line is this, if you made it, it's yours to do with as you want. If you learned it from someone else, leave it to them.

Reactions: Lord Magic
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
If we never reveal it, there won't ever be new magicians! For the most part, if you want to teach something that is yours, feel free! That is your choice. For the rest, I would stick to very basic, public domain things. Things such as how to palm a card, how to do a double lift, how to do a false cut. These are things that have been taught over and over, and would cause very little to no harm to the secrecy of magic. Now, teaching someone's original effect, that would be highly immoral.
The bottom line is this, if you made it, it's yours to do with as you want. If you learned it from someone else, leave it to them.
I think a palm might be a bad idea since it isn't something you can just do. But I agree, it is pretty cool to teach people. Plus, It's a cool little social thing to do. Teaching people is fun, especially since everyone keeps messing up, And we can all laugh about it. Plus, they will almost always make their own comedic story.

Another idea is to keep some semi automatic tricks you learned when you started out. You could even do effects you wouldn't normally perform. For example, I would probably never do some of the tricks from the "Glide" section of the Royal Road, but laymen would love performing it.

P.S. that is for laymen irl, no really YouTube.

Reactions: Lord Magic
If we never reveal it, there won't ever be new magicians!

I don't want to sound hostile, but I cannot believe what I just read.

I grew up in the "YouTube" age, but I NEVER relied on YouTube for "reveals" to practice my craft. I had a teacher. I bought material. No one revealed anything to me and yet I became a practitioner of this art.

We are in a new age of social media, etc, but that doesn't mean we should change our views on integrity.

Just my opinion. My goal was not to attack or offend anyone.

Apr 26, 2016
I don't want to sound hostile, but I cannot believe what I just read.

I grew up in the "YouTube" age, but I NEVER relied on YouTube for "reveals" to practice my craft. I had a teacher. I bought material. No one revealed anything to me and yet I became a practitioner of this art.

We are in a new age of social media, etc, but that doesn't mean we should change our views on integrity.

Just my opinion. My goal was not to attack or offend anyone.
In the wise words of Penn and Teller, arguably two of the most successful magicians of our time, the 'rules' of magic are more general guidelines for the newer magicians. Furthermore, you did have things revealed to you. You were taught a double lift. You were taught a palm or two. You were taught various principles of magic, gimmick building, how to use devices. The point I was trying to make was not 'let's reveal it all'. It was 'let's reveal a little'. I'm not saying that a price shouldn't be put on that knowledge. I'm just trying to illustrate that we need to make it available somehow, and if it's going to be revealed anyway by people with lesser morals, why not at least teach it right, rather than through half heard explanations?

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
In the wise words of Penn and Teller, arguably two of the most successful magicians of our time, the 'rules' of magic are more general guidelines for the newer magicians. Furthermore, you did have things revealed to you. You were taught a double lift. You were taught a palm or two. You were taught various principles of magic, gimmick building, how to use devices. The point I was trying to make was not 'let's reveal it all'. It was 'let's reveal a little'. I'm not saying that a price shouldn't be put on that knowledge. I'm just trying to illustrate that we need to make it available somehow, and if it's going to be revealed anyway by people with lesser morals, why not at least teach it right, rather than through half heard explanations?
As long as it isn't someone else's marketed work.

Reactions: eternalredking

Ah, I see now. My apologies for misunderstanding.

In that case, I agree with you, that we should jumpstart the curiosity of an aspiring magician, but I'm still against the YouTube method.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
In short: There has to be an investment in the craft by the student.

Sometimes that investment is money, sometimes it's the time to learn from a person, sometimes it's the dedication to dig through all the crap out there and find good information and learn and create.

Sometimes the investment is literally just the time and creativity to create all those methods yourself.

But there has to be an investment.

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I've always believed that the art will die unless it is passed on and that is just a fact. It won't live on if the next generation of magicians are never taught how to do things. Every effect on the market is one magician teaching a student how to do that effect. As Christopher said, it requires an investment into the craft. If the student can't be bothered to make an effort to learn it and have something to lose in the process, they will never have the respect for the craft that they should have.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Aug 15, 2017
Hello
When somone put videos online doing a trick and teaching that trick to people ,is that a normal thing to do, when he credit who invented the trick or the move would that be enough ?

I khow that law wont do anything but lest say law protects the idea ,does the law gonna stop them from what they are doing then (like a copyrighted thing)..

Thank you
Nope, unless it is public domain as in case of say, flourishes. But now-a-days people even credit for flourishes and refuse to either teach or teach in detail about a flourish that is not there's to teach.
As for sleights, I don't think it is a very good idea if they have not been given permission. If they have, hurrah for them, they can freely teach it on you tube. And if permission is not available (read, creator has left the world and started his journey to the ultimate reality unknown {read dead})...then ethically that person is allowed to teach it I guess. I feel:-

1) Very few magicians would want to give hard-core secrets, even it is because of jealousy and selfishness or abiding with the ANCIENT MAGICAL LAWS OF MERLIN.
2)It will be punishment enough for that magician if the majority of the magical fraternity is reprimanding him/her, because that affects his/her whole career. If you don't get the power of magical fraternity reprimanding a magician, look at Jibrizy today. That guy's whole magic career is destroyed if he doesn't make a serious apology video. Imagine, NO magician will want to be associated with him, how bad is that eh? Though he probably deserves it.

Aug 15, 2017
BTW, in the above post, reprimanding him/her for teaching coveted secrets I mean. If someone does that on You Tube, they will get famous among the magical fraternity for the wrong reasons...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results