"Great! Now I must learn this TOO!"

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Over the last few months, I've been working on about 8 flourishes off & on. Today, I found a 9th one that I must add to my repertoire. That flourish being Andrei Jihk's 'Backpack'.

Have you ever been working on a flourish or a few, then stumbled upon one that you HAD to put at the top of your priority list? If so, what was it?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
If you are having trouble managing your flourishes, then you should get the 'Ten Moves' app by David Peterson.

Thanks for the app recommendation!

My issue is that I made a goal/deadline for myself and I thought I had my 'list of flourishes' all panned out on paper with a timeline for how fast I'll learn it, polish it, and everything. And I end up finding one MORE flourish that would fit perfectly and it messed up the timeline.

Not a bad thing, just a little frustrating.

My biggest problem right now is doing a deck flip that doesn't turn into '52 pickup'.

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
My issue is that I made a goal/deadline for myself and I thought I had my 'list of flourishes' all panned out on paper with a timeline for how fast I'll learn it, polish it, and everything.
I think the problem is your approach. No offense if this is your approach to cardistry but these things can take time (like a lot of time). You can't really "plan out" your moves on a timeline because you can't rush perfection. It may take YEARS to "polish it and everything". The Virtuoso group had a great quote on their site that said "We see practice and progress as a marathon, not a quick sprint." If you want to know these moves and get great results practice all of these "must know" moves at the same time. You will get the hang of some moves quicker than others but over an indefinite period of time you will master them all.

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
My biggest problem right now is doing a deck flip that doesn't turn into '52 pickup'.
Practice the deckflip with the cards in the box. It helps you to learn the mechanics and the pressure needed. I did this for about 6 months before I transitioned to a sticky deck. I can do it with a new deck now, but a well broken in deck is still preferred for the move.

Reactions: magicdamadude

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
I think I found the appropriate use of pressure last night (and the 'feel' if a card or two are going to shoot out from the deck).

It seems that the easiest moves take the longest to perform correctly (deck flip and flicker to name a couple).
It also doesn't help that I'm doing a 540 degree (1 1/2) deck flip; have to flip the deck a bit higher than normal.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results