Custom Cards Are Bad?

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
this trend started a couple of years ago with all those ellusionist's cards.
Ive heard a lot of crap about them and I agree with most of it.
some say it makes the deck look gimmicked some say it s just a way to make money...
This is why I don't like them
See
I can make magic with every cards I touch
I can manipulate them all the same
Its not the cards doing the fans its me
Why should I buy a deck of cards that doesn't look normal
If I can Use regular bikes(red)
And Besides I look good with any cards in my hand.

What do you guys think about them?

ps.This is not a tell me why im wrong kinda thing
I ll be back after the weekend

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
I don't think that custom cards are bad. They are just not worth their price.
Custom decks are about 6-8 USD while normal decks are much cheaper.

I agree that black cards make the deck look gimmicked. Although you can hand the deck out to the spectators to examine the deck, they might still have doubts that it is a gimmicked deck.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
well, personally i like them.
like the black decks..they can be good for certain effects it gives them some what of a misterious look. and its different like...flourishes..they're flashy and not really magic...kinda like the custom decks...it gives it a different look.

Guys, I beg to differ. I greatly enjoy the feel of all custom decks and I like the thickness of the stock, even though it is easy for spectators to see a rather thick "top card" being lifted off the deck.

However, it really pisses me off to see those retarded youtube kids using custom decks to "show off" their crappy tutorials. This makes me not want to buy them. But as already said they do look gimmicked. I have had performances where the audience doesn't trust my deck. I just roll my eyes and pull out another, but it is disappointing.

So, you decide, customize or use what everyone else uses.

Dec 13, 2007
Atlanta,Georgia
the problem with ellusionists decks is the fact that the black fades ands the ghost decks bend easily, i definately prefer t11 decks. they handle so much better and no one can accuse me of using a gimmicked deck..

the problem with ellusionists decks is the fact that the black fades ands the ghost decks bend easily, i definately prefer t11 decks. they handle so much better and no one can accuse me of using a gimmicked deck..

Ok, that much is true. But I wonder... Why does Ellusionist have such a wider selection of decks? Is the site older or more popular? What is it?

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York

the ghost decks do bend easily...but if u put them in the box over night and just leave them...the next morning they're back to normal as if u just bought them. at least thats how mine is.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
Ok, that much is true. But I wonder... Why does Ellusionist have such a wider selection of decks? Is the site older or more popular? What is it?

What's your point? Popular doesn't mean better and neither does lder. They have a wider selection because they have enough money to invest in all those different kind of decks. The community is a lot larger too.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
To be honest, I really hate custom decks from E. Thick as hell. I had my teacher take a look at them and examine them till his heart was content and he still said he would never play poker with those cards.

I was doing flourishing with a custom deck in my criminal justice class and everyone was watching me but didn't think anything of it until one kid started talking to me about it. (Isn't it weird how everyone will ignore me until a person comes over to break the ice, then all the attention is on me)

He asked if they were tricks cards. I said no take a look.
Everyone in that room was like, nooooo. Their not attached?

So basically, these cards just take credit for all your magic/cardistry.
Even if a person examines it, you'll be surprised how stubborn people could be.
It's sad how some people don't BELIEVE (no subliminal messaging intended) in magic anymore.

May 2, 2008
If I ever used a trick deck I would want it to look as normal as possible, don't people ever consider that? Why would we want to make it obvious we are using a trick deck? O.O

Mar 29, 2008
I have never had complaints about using a custom deck, I honestly get more cool cards or where did you get those cards?

He asked if they were tricks cards. I said no take a look.
Everyone in that room was like, nooooo. Their not attached?

Either your flinging BS or everyone in that room is a complete moron.

And tbh, it cant really be called a custom deck if anyone can get it....

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Either your flinging BS or everyone in that room is a complete moron.

ooooooo, touchy subject with your cool custom cards?
Why would I lie? Seriously? WTF?
I'm telling you what happened, is that so hard to believe? They thought the cards were magnetic.

So why don't you calm down, crawl into a corner, and play with your cool custom cards.
Because you know what, your just so cool!

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys, I just wanted to put two things out there. I live in Australia, which is where these two issues originate from:

1. In Australia, no-one knows what you're talking about if you talk about "Bikes". There is no one dominant brand of cards where I am, "regular" Bikes are as foreign as Ghosts or Black Tigers or Vipers or any E card. What that means is that "regular" Bikes can be easily assumed to be gimmicked cards if you perform suspiciously. The fact is that I think that "the cards looked like gimmicked cards" is a bs excuse. If you lived down here, you'd have to get used to it, and practice more. There are no "regular" cards to fall back upon, no "normal" cards you can point to to prove your honesty if you simply perform in a suspicious manner. Nothing to rely on, the cards don't prove your innocence, you just have to perform innocently to begin with. If you look like you use trick cards, people will think it. Honestly, if people think your cards are gimmicked, maybe you need to look at how you handle cards. Now every once in a while you'll come across a particularly cynical spectator, which may not be your fault. But if it happens regularly, well, if I don't get those comments with "regular" Bikes here, which are just as foreign as E cards, nor with E cards, nor with Wynns or anything else I've tried, there's no reason "they look like gimmicks" should be an acceptable excuse, I think that's a rubbish excuse for performing in a suspicious manner.

2. Custom cards cost almost as much as normal Bikes, if you know where to get them, Bikes being 10 and custom cards being 12-15. I don't think cost should be a factor though it has been brought up in this thread.

My two cents.

Peace

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results