My first sandwich trick!

Apr 28, 2008
I learned this and practiced this in literally like 1 hour! tell me what you think

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1615519/card_sandwich_routine/

its just one trick, but I am putting together a routine :D

It's OK but it needs some work, it seemed really awkward when you kept saying 'are you sure you want this card'. It's OK to ask it once to misdirect the spectator for a couple of seconds, it just seems weird if you ask more than once.

I could see you messing round with the cards at the back of the deck, the spectator should never see you do anything remotely suspicuous. They should always assume that their was no opportunity for you to perform any sleight of hand. You got away with it in this video but if performing for a larger crowd somebody is likely to call you on it.

You should never perform a trick within an hour of learning it, I would not even recommend performing a trick within a week of learning it. When you perform the trick it should look absolutley flawless and every action should be justified.

Sorry if this post sounds very negative but I think you will learn a lot more from negative criticism than people who just say 'ZOMG thats awesome' to absolutley anything

You're doing good you've just got a few things you need to work on.

Tahnks man!!!
I apriciate the tips greatly!
I just wanted to get a video up you know..
I am practisnig it alot, dont worry the spectator was my sister. and its kinda an inside joke about the 'Are you sure are you sure"
I wouldent actuly do that lol
but I will put your tipes to use!

May 8, 2008
England
Nice, one thing I didn't like was how your voice changed with the 'watch' Kinda like as a sudden David Blaine moment...

I like the idea of snatching that card from the dribble :)

Nice to see that your working on patter and performance and not just a trick to do in front of a webcam with music.

-S

Aug 1, 2008
It was ok , but i personally wouldn't say "isnt that amazing yes it is" or "HOW... DID... I... DO... THAT?"

let your spectators be the ones that say that!

also, when you asked the 2nd time "are you sure you want this card?" the spectator was about to change her mind... so... work a bit more on the patter misdirection...

its ok, and I disagree with whoever said "do not perform it an hour after you learn it"

the only way to get better at it is to go out and perform it over and over.

good luck!

Apr 28, 2008
It was ok , but i personally wouldn't say "isnt that amazing yes it is" or "HOW... DID... I... DO... THAT?"

also, when you asked the 2nd time "are you sure you want this card?" the spectator was about to change her mind... so... work a bit more on the patter misdirection...

its ok, and I disagree with whoever said "do not perform it an hour after you learn it"

the only way to get better at it is to go out and perform it over and over.

good luck!

To suggest that somebody perform an effect within an hour of learning it is terrible advice.

Going out and performing is how you perfect an effect, not how you learn it. The mechanics of the effect should be almost flawless before you perform it for a live audience.

When you can do the sleights perfectly, you then start performing for a live audience to work out the best presentation for it.

If you go out and perform before you've perfected an effect and practiced the sleights it will not be a good experience for your spectator. Laymen generally have quite a negative perception of magic (they probably know an uncle who does the 21 card trick etc), you have to do something quite special to break through this and give them a truly entertaining and memorable experience.

you have to do something quite special to break through this and give them a truly entertaining and memorable experience.

Like Believe right?

Please read others posts next time ;D its an inside joke with my sister lol...

Apr 28, 2008
Like Believe right?

Please read others posts next time ;D its an inside joke with my sister lol...

Believe is a good example, although it is perhaps too powerful to be an opener.

Even something like the Shapeshifter change works, most people have never seen a Colour change before. To see one card suddenly change into another is quite a shock and lets them know you're worth watching.

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I am going to be nicer this time but I am not going to comment on your technique per-say but more of your performance.

In your performance, you are very cocky, which happens to alot of newer magicians today, they get all caught up thinking that they are better when really, we are just the same, sure we can do magic, but does that make us better then anyone. People, if you didn't already know this, think magic is nerdy or geeky (sorry to break it to you guys), so if you have an ego about doing magic, you are going to be the class clown, I personally always poke fun at myself for being a magician.

If you have any more questions or anything like that, shoot me a PM if you would like.

Apr 28, 2008
I am going to be nicer this time but I am not going to comment on your technique per-say but more of your performance.

In your performance, you are very cocky, which happens to alot of newer magicians today, they get all caught up thinking that they are better when really, we are just the same, sure we can do magic, but does that make us better then anyone. People, if you didn't already know this, think magic is nerdy or geeky (sorry to break it to you guys), so if you have an ego about doing magic, you are going to be the class clown, I personally always poke fun at myself for being a magician.

If you have any more questions or anything like that, shoot me a PM if you would like.

You have a good point here, magic can be perceived as nerdy/geeky, I guess this varies depending on where you live. I think it's our job to show the audience it doesn't have to be like this.

When I perform i'm not cocky but I wouldn't make a joke out of me being a magician either. I try and act like everyone else and fit in. Daniel Madison says that magic is much more powerful when you don't put a barrier between your spectators by acting superior or cocky. You should be just like everyone else in the room except your going to show everyone something amazing, I think this makes the magic a bit more believable.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results