The Types of Spectators

Aug 24, 2008
There >
Hey guys, first of all I'm new here so hello everybody, looking forward to giving/getting lots of help. ;)

Now, this thread is to discuss the different types of spectators or more clearly, the different kinds of personalities that spectators show when in a performance out there. I'm talking more like spectators in school or people who you would see again. But some of these do apply in street performances for example. So here's my view.

The Closedminded
These are the people who probably get amazed with your tricks but still see you as an everyday dude. They tend to lose interest as fast as possible and is like you never showed them any trick.

The Interested
These are the people who really enjoyed the performance. They usually enjoy if you keep doing tricks but won't be behind you asking you "do it again!". They usually follow all directions as told and are the least likely to mess you up.

The Mean-lings
These people are the ones that have one purpose in life: to put people down. These spectators will do whatever it takes for you to mess up the trick or get an unexpected result. They tend to ask you to repeat a trick and they don't follow directios as told by the magician.

The Slow-Minded
These guys/gals are always ready for your tricks and follow all directions as told. But for some reason they will probably end saying a typical "I don't get it". This kind of people will make other spectators go *facepalm*.

The Easy-Target
These spectators are the easiest to perform on. They will get amazed with the simplest tricks and may keep asking you to keep on doing tricks until you don't have anything up your sleeve.

The Religious Flakes
These are the ones that immediately believe that you are using demonic powers doing a basic card transpo and never want to talk to you or even be close to you ever again. Usually call you Houdini, The Devil or simply Satan.

The Nonreactive
These are the ones who are amazed and have no idea how you did it but just go "thats cool". They are usually the jealous kind ;)

The Magic Dabbler
This spectator often reacts exactly opposite of what they'd like from their own audience. They're silent, they burn your hands, refuse to be misdirected, and when you leave, they often divulge what they think you did to their friends. This, of course, is because they were likely the only magician their friend had ever seen, so they must keep their status quo high in their friend's mind.

So, that's all I could think of as of now. What do you think? Any other types?

Lol, this is a random post to be my first thread. Anyways, hello everybody :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 22, 2008
earth
the religious

the ones that immediately believe that you are using demonic powers doing a basic card transpo and never want to talk to you or even be close to you ever again (my favorite type of spectator :)

Jul 14, 2008
Welcome to the forum!!! It's a great thread to start off. I can't think of anything of the type of spectators, but pretty much the same spectators that I have when I am performing card magic at school. Thanks for posting up.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
ramosynthesis, on a completely unrelated note - I love your avatar. Yeah WC3.

An actual on topic note, just reminding that people can of course be any combination of those and/or not fit into one perfectly, being either partially within one or a blend of several.

Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
I'd change "religious" to "religious flakes".

Only the flakey religious people will say anything about it being demonic. Just the typical religious person still falls into the other categories. (I should know, I perform for churches all the time)

Apr 28, 2008
Fortunatley we don't really get the Religious type in the UK, I find it quite hard to imagine anyone being stupid enough to think magic is 'demonic'

I think i've encountered all of them at some point though most people seem to fall into combinations of Easy target/ Interested usually with varying amounts of Slow minded.

Jul 22, 2008
In Greece
First of all welcome!!!Imagine if all these types of spec's where together at the same time when you performed hahaha!really funny and unique performance!I like the religious they make me wanna play the guy who feels in pain for 2 days after doing stigmata!lol!good forum!(sorry for my english)Linos

The Magic Dabbler/ Fellow Magician at your gig:

This spectator often reacts exactly opposite of what they'd like from their own audience. They're silent, they burn your hands, refuse to be misdirected, and when you leave, they often divulge what they think you did to their friends.

This, of course, is because they were likely the only magician their friend had ever seen, so they must keep their status quo high in their friend's mind.

I've met many of these at my gigs.

Pj

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I would say that knowing the different personalities you may face will help, but how the spectator reacts to your magic is completely down to you, and not dependent on 'the type of person' they are.

I have turned people that just flat out couldn't have cared less about seeing anything into fans within the space of around three effects.

My opinion is, there are personality types, but not spectator types.

Welcome to the forums dude!

CL

Aug 24, 2008
There >
ramosynthesis, on a completely unrelated note - I love your avatar. Yeah WC3.

Haha I know WC3 FTW! :D

The unreactive

I'd change "religious" to "religious flakes".

The Magic Dabbler

^ Thanks guys, I'll add 'em into the list ;)

First of all welcome!!!Imagine if all these types of spec's where together at the same time when you performed hahaha!

I know man! I've been there, with several personalities, it gets crazy! But then again I usually end up alright anyways lol :)

I would say that knowing the different personalities you may face will help, but how the spectator reacts to your magic is completely down to you, and not dependent on 'the type of person' they are.

I have turned people that just flat out couldn't have cared less about seeing anything into fans within the space of around three effects.

My opinion is, there are personality types, but not spectator types.

Welcome to the forums dude!

CL

An actual on topic note, just reminding that people can of course be any combination of those and/or not fit into one perfectly, being either partially within one or a blend of several.

@ Chr!s and praetor:

Yeah I guess you guys are right. This is based more on a situation where you come up to them and start doing your routine. The descriptions I gave for each "type" (more of a personality, thanks Chris) apply more to the first reaction they will get. Of course you may do a crazy-er (new word! :p) trick and completely change their view on you.

^ Hope that was not confusing!

Sep 2, 2007
London
First of all welcome dear chap. lovely to have you.

Types of spectators?
OOOH what a tricky and facinating subject. hehe. There is a technique i call "SHROWING" for reasons only a monkey would understand. But it gets it roots from a pyschological concept involving "roles". So the basic idea of it is firstly understanding what role each person is playing, then trying to CHANGE it.

I know it sounds a bit confusing but hey.

You are in eccense trying to "change the TYPE of spectator they are". Traditionally when you approach someone or vice versa. There will be a distinct "performer + audience feel" But by messing this around abit you can get some extrodinary reactions. One thing i like to do (this does not ALWAYS work bear in mind) is to attempt to make my audience believe i just saw a magician do a trick. then i will nab somone (i do this in the street) and make it look like THEY do the trick. As in i make them make all the "important moves" and hopefully the ruse works. Then you can totally freak them out by taking this a step further.

Ok i am getting carried away. But yes different types give different reactions and require different angles from the performer.

Try make THEM do the trick. this often changes things a bit. Or work down the "cocky"one and then suddenly they will play into your skilled hands.

-Jon

Aug 24, 2008
There >
Thanks there monkey! :) I'll definitely take this "spectator doing the trick" idea into consideration. Seems like it would give a much broader effect. And I mean in it as in the effect could get a good reaciton from a bigger variety of personalities.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
Fortunatley we don't really get the Religious type in the UK, I find it quite hard to imagine anyone being stupid enough to think magic is 'demonic'

I think i've encountered all of them at some point though most people seem to fall into combinations of Easy target/ Interested usually with varying amounts of Slow minded.

I have performed so many times to people that always walk away with "Devil magik!"
and SATAN!!!!!!!!

And this is in the UK.

Apr 28, 2008
I have performed so many times to people that always walk away with "Devil magik!"
and SATAN!!!!!!!!

And this is in the UK.

Are they serious? I've had various people walk off saying something like 'OMG your satan', of course they don't genuinley believe it, they just say it as a joke.

I didn't think we had too many idiots who actually believe it.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
welcome ramosynthesis.great post to start of .in my opinion there is another type of spectators that i call simply STUPID(no offence to anyone with these characteristics).these are usually amazed with a mild ambitius card routine andfind explanations like:Uput the card on the bottom and take it from the bottom and show it or sth like that.they also ask u to do it again and again and try to catch you.sorry for my bad english i am greek
george

Oct 6, 2007
Heres a couple of my favorites to add to the list.

THE GRABBER. The person that wants to examine everything at evey point in time and will grab the cards out of your hand in the middle of a trick

THE "I KNOW HOW YOU DID THAT!" GUY The one who obviously has no clue how you did it and comes up with unrealistic ways of how the trick could be done

THE "DO IT AGAIN" GUY. after an effect that is all this guy will say..over and over..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results