Controls

this might have been posted before, but i wanted to know any good controls, not forces, but controls. i pretty much only have the double undercut, which can be picked up on when used a lot. so wat other controls are there?

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Yeah, the double undercut pretty dismal considering that there are literally hundreds of amazingly deceptive controls out there.
Dan and Dave sell a bunch of great ones in the on demand section at dananddave.com: Cascade control, Cherry Control
There are also some good ones in the one-on-one section here on Theory11: Death to the Double Undercut(lol), Fan control
I personally use a cherry control but that's just my style. It's also is pretty difficult to learn...
Hope this helps!

There are tons of controls that have been published. And more are being created by magicians as we speak...

Oct 28, 2007
i agree with card clip i love the cherry control it is my favorite control.

i also like the dmb spread control and the out jogged herman shift and the clipshift

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
More Specificaly what kind of controls are you looking for

To The Top
To The Bottom
To The Middle
Mutiple Shift
Cleanliness/Fairness

Answer these and it will make it easier to help

or are you just looking for controls in general.

Aug 5, 2008
Lear a pass and you are set ... ? for you: dont you think Deja vu is a little hard for your skill level, dont get me wrong its just that you are asking for tips on shape-shifter, you didnt know what sybil is, and you only know the double undercut as a control, I mean, I think you should go into another tricks before going into the tricks from the trilogy ... and whoever says deja vu is easy to get down is a GOD.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
It sounds like some passes are in order, but there are a few others too.

Top: Spread Pass/other kind of pass, eg Dribble Pass, Classic Pass.. Other nice moves include: Fan Location, Side Steal.. If the situation allows, a double lift provides many more opportunities for things like switches...

Bottom: Outjogged Hermann Shift is a nice pass which takes it to the bottom. Other moves include Convincing Control, Diagonal Palm Location, anything that involves a break or a jog, will do it really..

Nov 10, 2007
If you want a really easy control check out lepauls bluff pass can be found in the 1 on 1 section. This control is very easy 1 - 10 I would give it a 2 - 3 yes it is that easy. No cuts required spectator calls stop puts the card back in the middle and it is basically controlled tothe top. Thats it make sure you check it out. It is a steal at 4.95$

Sep 2, 2007
London
I think it's important to know a few different controls to suit various situations, so you can mix and match as the occasion demands. Also, remember that not every move you learn has to come from D&D or Theory 11.

If I were you I'd look at the Hofzinzer spread cull, some passes, a side steal, and a jog shuffle. Also, keeping a break above a selection, dividing the deck at your break then riffle-shuffling it to the top flies past laymen. I don't know if this technique has a name, but it's fairly simply to pick up and very deceptive.

Nov 10, 2007
I disagree with you I do not believe it is important to learn different controls. For a few reasons when you are performing for spectators it is not like you perform a miilion tricks you perform maybe a few and move on. If you are going to be performing 20 tricks to the same group of people then yes you should no more controls. I usually go with my double undercut unless I need a card second from top then I would go with 2 other controls I use occasionally. Hope that made sense

Sep 2, 2007
London
There are two reasons why I think you should have a few different controls available to you.

Firstly, it helps in spectator handling. There will, every now and then, be an awkward spectator who calls you on what your doing. If you always do the double undercut, they'll probably let it go the first time, but the second time you use it, they'll either directly accuse you or make it clear that they think you're cutting the card to the top. If, at that point, you could catch their eye and execute a pass, thus apparently continuing the trick without the cut, then the effect becomes more powerful than if you made some excuse for cutting the deck.

Secondly, it means you can be more creative. You don't always have to get your spectators to select and return cards in the same way, which opens up the possibility of varying your effects, improvising, and creating your own ones.

Dec 22, 2007
Yeah, the double undercut pretty dismal considering that there are literally hundreds of amazingly deceptive controls out there.

I don't see why people hate the DU so much. Nobody ever calls me out on it.

Anyways, learn a pass. It can control a card to top or bottom. I prefer a dribble pass because its angle proof. Hermann Pass is also pretty angle proof.

Oct 28, 2007
I don't see why people hate the DU so much. Nobody ever calls me out on it.

Anyways, learn a pass. It can control a card to top or bottom. I prefer a dribble pass because its angle proof. Hermann Pass is also pretty angle proof.

a DU is not very good for hecklers at all, i have been called on it.

and a dribble pass is not angle prood..............or is it? :confused:

I wont recommend the pass because it will take alot of your practice time, something you need for other things if your a beginner.

Learn the overhand shuffle control, this will serve you for a long long time. Skip culls, passes and steals, focus on learning the trick at hand and doing the double undercut and overhand shuffle controls well.

Cheers,

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
Ok well

Top: Spread Pass, Pass, Sidesteal, Double lifts , Top Changes, Clipshift,Fan Location.

Bottom: Diagonal Palm Shift, Outjogged Herman Shift, DMB Control,Cull

there are many many many controls.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
The double undercut is simply the best. It's about timing and casualness.

I usually just switch the selected card for an indifferent and bury that cleanly in the middle.

There is also a way of controlling a card to the top using a DMB/Convincing control.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results