I'm back -- with questions

Hey guys,

After roughly a year out of magic, I'm happy to same that I'm back! Moving to a new school, heading to the gym, playing rugby, and getting a german shepherd shut my magic down. I still performed a couple times formally, and maybe ten more times to others informally; not nearly as much as I used to. After fooling around the past week, I can say I'm almost back up to speed, it's amazing how fast I'm remembering everything.

Before I quit, I was starting to get the urge to learn sleights involving gambling (is that the right term?) -- palming, pinky counting, etc.. My question is, which sleights should I focus on... where should I start? My ex-mentor gave me a DVD including nearly everything from Ellusionist; he also passed on the Card College series.

Thanks,

Mehar

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
My favorites gambling move is bottom deal, but I almost strictly stick to gambling demos for that.
I use second deal and zarrow shuffle in magic performances as well, so my picks would be those two. Also, I heard Pinky Count is really helpful in magic.

My favorites gambling move is bottom deal, but I almost strictly stick to gambling demos for that.
I use second deal and zarrow shuffle in magic performances as well, so my picks would be those two. Also, I heard Pinky Count is really helpful in magic.

I figured false deals, palming, and false shuffles would take up the majority of my time. As for pinky counting, would a thumb count be a suitable replacement?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I'm not sure how the pinky count would help at all in gambling either. It's something you'd use to get ready for a dl usually.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
A pinky count can be done at either the top or bottom of the deck. Both top and bottom counts were/are used in gambling in order to prep for palming multiple cards in various different scenarios. That application of the utility move is useful in magic for the same reason.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
A pinky count can be done at either the top or bottom of the deck. Both top and bottom counts were/are used in gambling in order to prep for palming multiple cards in various different scenarios. That application of the utility move is useful in magic for the same reason.

Good point, for clarity, when it is performed on the bottom of the deck it is generally referred to as a pinky pull down. It just seemed like a strange suggestion. While it is a versatile move I don't know if I would expose it for demonstration purposes like I might a second deal, or a bottom deal.

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
Thanks, I didn't know that and this is first time when I hear the pinky counting from bottom.

May 9, 2012
New York
bottom dealing is sooooooo hard. ive been working on it for a long time and it's still not cleean enough to use. for now, i stick to stacking the deck, and then using false shuffles and cuts.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
bottom dealing is sooooooo hard. ive been working on it for a long time and it's still not cleean enough to use. for now, i stick to stacking the deck, and then using false shuffles and cuts.

There is a good false bottom deal in Royal road that I use from time to time :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results