DVR help

Aug 30, 2012
Can someone explain how I get the color change in DVR to be a little more quiet as it can get kinda loud and also how do you improve the fluidity of the cover hand? very new to card magic. Thank you very much for any help

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Can someone explain how I get the color change in DVR to be a little more quiet as it can get kinda loud and also how do you improve the fluidity of the cover hand? very new to card magic. Thank you very much for any help

Practice more.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That probably came across as harsh.

You can use a small thumb break before the final change to decrease the amount of noise created by the move. Further, the fluidity just comes from practice. I recommend sitting there with a mirror or a camera pointed from the spectator's point of view and simply doing it slowly for a while. You want to time it so the cover hand passes over the card at the proper time to hide it. I can't really go into detail to avoid exposure, but you can do it very slowly and still have proper cover, so slow it down and experiment with the timing to get the best cover.

Aug 30, 2012
That probably came across as harsh.

You can use a small thumb break before the final change to decrease the amount of noise created by the move. Further, the fluidity just comes from practice. I recommend sitting there with a mirror or a camera pointed from the spectator's point of view and simply doing it slowly for a while. You want to time it so the cover hand passes over the card at the proper time to hide it. I can't really go into detail to avoid exposure, but you can do it very slowly and still have proper cover, so slow it down and experiment with the timing to get the best cover.

It did not seem harsh so much as blunt. lol but I do understand what you are saying. I'm really just starting out. after realizing that youtube magic such as andyfieldmagic and mismag aren't really what I am looking for I got DVR as my 1st non self working effect.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It did not seem harsh so much as blunt. lol but I do understand what you are saying. I'm really just starting out. after realizing that youtube magic such as andyfieldmagic and mismag aren't really what I am looking for I got DVR as my 1st non self working effect.

That's quite a leap.

I would have recommended you start with more fundamental sources like Crash Course in Card Magic or Card College.

Sep 8, 2012
As Christopher said, get Royal Road to card magic, and learn easy sleights first. To an experienced magician, this trick will come quite easy, but to one that has no experience, it will come rather difficult. It's a good piece of magic, but too advanced for you. Don't dismiss the trick. Just, leave it there for a while. Or practice it some more.

Aug 30, 2012
That's quite a leap.

I would have recommended you start with more fundamental sources like Crash Course in Card Magic or Card College.

I agree its a bit of a jump but I have been practicing and for the 1st time performed for total strangers and it went perfectly! I was so excited. I have gotten the Royal Road and am loving it. The way some of the tricks are described are difficult to understand and palming is SO intimidating that I haven't even attempted it. Thank you Christopher for your advice and you too erdnase.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I palm on a semi-regular basis. It's not so difficult as you just have to remember that it's more audience management than perfectly concealing the palm.

Aug 30, 2012
How so? I just never seem to get use to palming the cards naturally. I'm going to go back to it though once I have worked on the pass.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Just take a card and put it in your hand. Then touch your thumb to you index and/or middle fingertips. Don't worry about bending the card, they go back. Just get used to doing that. Once you're used to doing that, you learn a good way to get the card from the deck into your hand and you're done. The key to palming is not having your hand cover the item entirely, it's directing the audience's attention to somewhere else so they never even think to look at the dirty hand.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results