Fanning completely even

May 13, 2008
I have been working on fanning for years. What I can't seem to get consistently is the perfect fan with the standard fan, giant fan, or carnahan fan. I have tried multiple decks, with or without fanning powder. I have tried to really analyze exactly how I perform each fan and improve but so far no progress. Looking for any tips on creating a perfectly spaced fan from anyone who could help.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's all about the pressure. And the repetition of just doing it over and over. And over. And over. When you think you've done it enough, do it all over again.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I have been working on fanning for years. What I can't seem to get consistently is the perfect fan with the standard fan, giant fan, or carnahan fan. I have tried multiple decks, with or without fanning powder. I have tried to really analyze exactly how I perform each fan and improve but so far no progress. Looking for any tips on creating a perfectly spaced fan from anyone who could help.

One of my recent obsessions has been efficient practice, which can be difficult to analyse with what I call "progressive" moves like fanning (and the anti-faro, for that matter). For most things we practise, we break them down into smaller elements (either consciously or unconsciously) and work until each one of those smaller elements is as we want it. With fanning, though, it seems to be a binary system applied to a qualitative assessment, which is complicated: you've either got a fan that's as regular as you want it to be or you haven't, but there isn't an established analogue measuring system for regularity. If it's fairly regular at one end but not at the other, is that a sign you're going in the right direction, or is that as good a result as you're going to get with your current technique? It's impossible to say, so, here's my solution for breaking fanning practice into smaller elements and thus reducing it to purely mechanical repetition as opposed to subjective, qualititatve assessment:

Practise each fanning technique, first, with only two cards. Perform the movements of the fan about a thousand times until you assure yourself that, every time you do it, the top and bottom cards end up where you would want them to be in the finished fan.

Now add another card. Practise with three cards until the top and bottom cards end up where you want them in the finished fan, and the middle card is equidistant around the curve between them.

Now add another card. Practise with four cards until the top and bottom cards end up where they should be and the two middle cards are spaced equally, marking off thirds of the curve.

Now add another card...and so on, until you're up to the whole deck. This way, you'll easily be able to see how you're progressing through a sequence of small, achievable goals.

Or you could just start with the whole deck and do it loads. That'll work eventually too.

May 13, 2008
I have been working on the carnahan fan specifically and trying to modify my technique slightly, with slightly less pressure and I am making progress. What I have begun to wonder is does a fan have to be absolutely perfect? I only seem to notice imperfections on one side or another, the middle seems to look good.

Vince I am working on setting up skype where I can use it to perform flourishes, and may take you up on that offer once I have it completed.

Sep 19, 2013
I have been working my way through genesis v1, and jikh seems to use an unconventional pinch grip on the inner corner of the deck as opposed to the outer corner I've seen in every other tutorial. Is there an advantage to this?

One thing that no one mentions about the deeper grip is where the pressure is, the tip of the thumb, the side, the knuckle?
Vince, I have skype. Would you be willing to critique my technique?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I have been working on the carnahan fan specifically and trying to modify my technique slightly, with slightly less pressure and I am making progress. What I have begun to wonder is does a fan have to be absolutely perfect? I only seem to notice imperfections on one side or another, the middle seems to look good.

Vince I am working on setting up skype where I can use it to perform flourishes, and may take you up on that offer once I have it completed.

One of the things that makes a good fan look so good is evenness. So yes, while the fan doesn't have to be the best fan to ever grace this earth, it should be smooth and evenly spaced to be a fully successful fan.

Let me know when your Skype is set up.

I have been working my way through genesis v1, and jikh seems to use an unconventional pinch grip on the inner corner of the deck as opposed to the outer corner I've seen in every other tutorial. Is there an advantage to th
is?
One thing that no one mentions about the deeper grip is where the pressure is, the tip of the thumb, the side, the knuckle?
Vince, I have skype. Would you be willing to critique my technique?

I can't speak for what Andrei teaches on Genesis, as I haven't seen it, but the best grip I've found involves the tip of the thumb being placed between the inner corner and the middle on the bottom of the deck. If it's right on the inner corner, your fans end up with an odd ring of white card corners on the outer edge. If your thumb is on the outer corner, you get the same thing but on the interior of the fan.

It's a little hard to describe with text, I'll show you on Skype.

Best,
Vince

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results