More Card Ideas

Hi All!

I have been stuck at home the last two days with my thirteen month old daughter whilst she recovers from a nasty virus. During one of her extended naps, I thought I might do something constructive and film a couple of routines. Of course, this means the dishes are now not done, so the wife is unlikely to be happy when she gets home, but hey ho, swings and roundabouts!

Anywhere, here are three ideas I've been playing around with for a little while. A bit of web research hasn't turned up anything too similar, so as far as I know they are original handlings, though I am more than prepared to be told otherwise.

Cheap Suit

This is basically a streamlined handling of Max Maven's 'Three-Piece Suit' from Harry Lorayne's Best of Friends Vol III. I managed to eliminate the control, the palm and the drop off on the deck, resulting in quite a clean handling. Anyone who visited the Library sub-forum recently will have seen a write up of this trick. It's not an earth shattering miracle by any means, but is my go to 'quicky' at the moment and my spectators seem to like it.

Dr Daley's Discarded Sandwich

This was inspired by a David Forrest routine called 'Discarded' from his Deception DVD, itself a variation of The Chicago Session's 'Among The Discards'. The effect here is not quite the same, but you do get a transposition and a sandwich trick in one go, which is quite nice.

Assembilicious

This is a really new routine, and as a result the handling is a little rough, but i thought it worth sharing anyway as i think the basic effect is still there. This was inspired by a trick Mark Leveridge featured on his recent Penguin Live lecture. I liked the basic premise, but felt it needed an ending. The effect is essentially a combination of 'The Ambitious Classic' and an Ace Assembly(hence the ridiculous title). Like I said, I don't think it's quite 'done' yet, so any suggestions are welcome!

There we go! Hope you enjoy!

Better get on to those dishes i suppose....

Rev

Anyone who visited the Library sub-forum recently will have seen a write up of this trick.

Apologies, but this bit is going to make no sense to anyone on this forum! I copied this post from another forum I frequent which has a locked sub-forum where secrets can be discussed/taught. That's what this sentence refers to.

However, if anyone is interested in the handling, drop me a PM and I'll be glad to share.

Rev

Cheap Suit - this is sort of a weird trick that doesn't make any logical sense (why does spelling the suits eliminate them? why does that take so long but the change of value is instant?) But I think it'd hit hard with layman anyway.
I haven't seen the original so I can't compare the two, but I agree this handling is very smooth.

Dr. Daley's Discarded Sandwich - I like it, I really like it. In fact I almost do it. The only problem is again, why is this happening? I do something similar as a preamble to a grass hopper trick.

Assembilicious - This one is my favorite. I don't get why packet ACR tricks work, but there's no denying that they do. I like the use of blank cards rather than aces for a clearer effect. And the transpo is a very nice way to finish. I actually think the handling is perfect. I like that the last two happen differently, keeps the audience from tuning out.

Reactions: Rev
Cheap Suit - this is sort of a weird trick that doesn't make any logical sense (why does spelling the suits eliminate them? why does that take so long but the change of value is instant?) But I think it'd hit hard with layman anyway.
I haven't seen the original so I can't compare the two, but I agree this handling is very smooth.

Dr. Daley's Discarded Sandwich - I like it, I really like it. In fact I almost do it. The only problem is again, why is this happening? I do something similar as a preamble to a grass hopper trick.

Assembilicious - This one is my favorite. I don't get why packet ACR tricks work, but there's no denying that they do. I like the use of blank cards rather than aces for a clearer effect. And the transpo is a very nice way to finish. I actually think the handling is perfect. I like that the last two happen differently, keeps the audience from tuning out.

Thanks for the for the kind words.

Re Cheap Suit: I understand what you mean about it being a bit of an odd effect. I wasn't sure it would really work as an effect either until I tried it on a few people. The effect is essentially exactly the same as the Maven original, but the handling is a lot easier.

Re DDDS: In terms of 'why is this happening', I really don't worry about having any deep justification for why the effects happen. Most card effects are inherently pointless anyway. Sure, I like to make sure all my moves etc are motivated, but provided the effect is magical I don't worry about there being any reason for it to happen, other than it being impossible and a bit of fun.

Re Assembilicious: My logic for this was that I couldn't do exactly the same thing for times without it being boring, so I'm glad you appreciate the thinking there. To elaborate further, the first King establishes the effect, the second re-iterates the conditions, the third is a different effect to prevent repetition, and the fourth leads to the kicker which rounds the whole thing off nicely. That was my thought process anyway.

Thanks again for the nice comments.

Rev

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
Cheap suit: Meh, I'm not a fan of the "spelling" plot. While there is a change I feel it takes a bit too long to work up to that point.
Now as for the other two tricks I really like as there are more changes, that gives more opportunities for the spectator to be like "Woah, what's going on, wait what it switched again!"

Reactions: Rev
Cheap suit: Meh, I'm not a fan of the "spelling" plot. While there is a change I feel it takes a bit too long to work up to that point.
Now as for the other two tricks I really like as there are more changes, that gives more opportunities for the spectator to be like "Woah, what's going on, wait what it switched again!"

Cheers man, thanks for the kind words.

Re the spelling: Spelling tricks are something magicians either love or hate. Personally, I like them. A lot of other magicians seem to like them. And I think laymen like them as well. Yes, it takes some time to get to the change, but I think this throws laymen off guard.

Thanks for your kind words re the other two tricks, much appreciated.

Rev

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Rev:

Nice work and clean handling.

I liked Cheap Suit. There is something devilish about doing everything right in front of the spectators. However, I think it woud be great to build into a larger routine -- maybe finding the aces first, doing Cheap Suit and then figuring out a way to find the final ace or to have the selected card switch for the ace. Also, it appears that the trick could be performed in the spectator's hands after you pull the four aces from the deck. You could the spell the suits you want to eliminate and the spectator can move the cards as you spell.

Discarded Sandwich was well done. If you don't have it, check out Bannon's Watching the Detetives which is his variation of Among the Discards in Six.Impossible.Things which was reprinted in High Caliber. The routining with Counterpunch / Four Faces North and New Jax is sort of what made me think of routining Cheap Suit.

I like Assembilicious the best. It had the feel of a good Wildcard routine with the variation of the location of the kings.

Well done.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results