I think Sankey fooled Penn and Teller

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Jay Sankey has between one of my favorite magicians since I began in magic. Needless to say I am very familiar with Sankey's magic. So when he pulled out Card Board Contortionist on Fool Us I knew what was coming. Penn and Teller didn't.

When Penn was explaining that he understood how the trick worked he clearly implied a ditch. Those who are familiar with the routine know that there is no ditch at all.

I understand that Jay didn't fool them in every way, but I'm pretty sure that he did fool them with his turn and restored card.

Jul 9, 2014
But either way to be honest I was disappointed with Jay's trick selection. I think has a LOT more material out that could have fooled Penn and Teller.

Dec 5, 2014
I felt the same way with David Regal's performance. I'm really surprised at the choice.
Definitely agree with this. I was shocked when Regal was announced and then he decided to do that performance. Not that it's a bad effect, it's great, it's hilarious; but it's not something I would have chosen for this particular show being that you're trying to fool Penn and Teller. So many other routines he could've chosen from that would've been a better fit for this show.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I suppose Jay was also trying to sell an effect, so it makes sense to that degree.

After watching it, it loos like he's trying to just throw them off, but yes I think you're right. I bet if he didn't try to look dirty, they would have figured it out though too.

Dec 29, 2011
Its the same deal with all of these guys, Shin lim, Daniel Madison, Jay Sankey plus others went on the show not to fool Penn and Teller, but for publicity, performing very commercial or show off routines. Its the guys you haven't heard of on the show that are there to fool them.

Reactions: RoyBM
Jul 27, 2015
Its the same deal with all of these guys, Shin lim, Daniel Madison, Jay Sankey plus others went on the show not to fool Penn and Teller, but for publicity, performing very commercial or show off routines. Its the guys you haven't heard of on the show that are there to fool them.

agreed.

Reactions: WyattSB
Dec 10, 2015
He claims he did fool them, but that he didn't want to be rude... great explanations on his youtube channel.

Khaleel Olaiky

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2013
Sankey is also one of my favorite magicians of all time ... but I really didn't like his style of "fooling" them, making them think that he is doing some basics, but he is actually doing pretty advanced moves ... WHY??

I just don't get it, and the other thing I didn't like that he didn't say anything when they think they got him, I know he didn't want to be rude or something like that, but I think it's ok, Penn himself says once to another magician: "feel free to interrupt me at any time",

telling them that they have failed capturing the trick is just fine and it's the magician's right.

So if you are going to fool them the reverse way as Sankey did ... at least told them that they were wrong, that is my point.

Dec 6, 2015
Canada
I found that video this morning actually, and it feels like it was less about being rude and more about seeking that secret position of having actually fooled Penn and Teller without them knowing. I like that idea - poetic in a way. However the way he did it, faking basic, common moves, almost seems like an insult to them and the show. P and T and the audience did have a great time with him on the show though, which I guess matters most.

Reactions: Khaleel Olaiky

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
I found that video this morning actually, and it feels like it was less about being rude and more about seeking that secret position of having actually fooled Penn and Teller without them knowing. I like that idea - poetic in a way. However the way he did it, faking basic, common moves, almost seems like an insult to them and the show. P and T and the audience did have a great time with him on the show though, which I guess matters most.

I agree. Faking a ditch and then saying I fooled you because you thought I used a ditch is not the idea. I guess technically it should be called "Penn and Teller- Fool Us with Something That Looks Clean", though really it shouldn't have to be. Though Sankey did not try to argue the point with them on the show, so I don't really have a problem with his "con within a con" as he calls it. That would be trying to 'win' on a technicality and while I'm glad he chose not to do that, I'm not really sure what the point of the video is or why he chose to not really try and fool them in the spirit in which the challenge is given.

Reactions: @cardist
Jul 30, 2015
What's the problem with using appropriate misdirection to try to fool someone? Is it a fail if the someone you're trying to fool is a magician? Nope. If you know your audience, you use the appropriate misdirection to assist in fooling them. It's that simple. The kind of misdirection you employ with laymen is not the kind of misdirection you should be employing when performing for magicians. How is this not obvious?

Dec 5, 2014
I remember Penn telling some guy on the show once that (and I'm paraphrasing here, cause I don't remember the exact words) "in magic, we cheat. Today you've cheated better than us." In this case, I think Sankey cheated better than anyone. He knew his audience and he knew how to play his audience. How is that NOT fooling them?

Brian R.(7)

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2007
In my opinion, when performing for another magician with the sole purpose of "fooling" them one must employ a very different or "modified" form of misdirection. In a way not so different then all of you misdirect your audience, Jay misdirected Penn and Teller.

Our deceptions rely on our audiences pre-conceived notions about many things such as reality, physics and common sense. Jay's deceptions relied on Penn and Teller's notions and knowledge of our art.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results