Is Cardistry just a hobby?

Feb 12, 2016
I have seen many people saying magicians who do cardistry can not be called cardists. Cardists are not magicians who do Cardistry but performers who ONLY do cardistry so is being cardist just a hobby? what is it? Can u earn a living out of it?
Thanks

Sep 1, 2014
There are people who made their own company/brand of cardistry such as; Dealers Grip, Fontaine Cards, Dan & Dave and etc. so it's possible to make a living out of it.

Jul 18, 2014
There are people who made their own company/brand of cardistry such as; Dealers Grip, Fontaine Cards, Dan & Dave and etc. so it's possible to make a living out of it.
Great point however Fontaine Cards and Dan & Dave released their own cards and Dealers Grip have released their own downloads. If you are going to do cardistry full time, you need products.

Feb 12, 2016
Great point however Fontaine Cards and Dan & Dave released their own cards and Dealers Grip have released their own downloads. If you are going to do cardistry full time, you need products.
Yeah people like Dan and Dave and Zach Mueller have succeeded in the art but everyone cant be that good(yeah anything is possible but if we think practically).. Everyone can not start their own brands and release cards or videos. My question was there are thousands of people devoting their time to the art like all the people on this forum so are they hobbyist.(except wire artists)

Feb 12, 2016
Yeah people like Dan and Dave and Zach Mueller have succeeded in the art but everyone cant be that good(yeah anything is possible but if we think practically).. Everyone can not start their own brands and release cards or videos. My question was there are thousands of people devoting their time to the art like all the people on this forum so are they hobbyist.(except wire artists)

Sep 1, 2014

Sorry to sound sappy but I picture Cardistry as an art form. Yes its technically a hobby that I like to partake in but In my opinion is kinda more than that. Its kinda hard to explain.

Oct 19, 2015
I think of Cardistry as a artists tools. Like a painter has different techniques, pallet knifes, brushes, and types of media that is used to create one work of art. For a Magician, Cardistry adds a style and form to the other elements of his/her overall finished work. So I do not see it as a hobby, but as something that can be added to a magician's act, or a Jugglers act, or to a line of products that one is trying to market.

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
The same goes for any art form, painting, photography... If you want to do that full time, you need to be that good, the known, and there must enough be demand for you to be paid doing it. Otherwise, you have mostly two options:
A. you make a living AROUND cardistry: you brand yourself, you sell whatever to need to sell related to your brand to generate enough revenue to do cardistry most of your time.
B. you get another job, and you devote whatever time you wish to cardistry. Here you can be good enough to generate some revenue out of cardistry, but that's not enough to make you live out of it.

Both options are okay. You live, and you love what you do. But to do A, you better be good.

So, is cardistry just a hobby? Yes and no. Is Starcraft or League of Legends just a game? yes. Ah! so it's a hobby, right? But there are people getting sponsored and paid to compete in tv shows in some part of the world. I guess it's more than a game or a hobby.

I think it is what you want it to be. Playing an instrument is art. It can be just a hobby, but if you become good enough and there is demand for your talent, enough to live on it, then it can be a job. Or you might get another job to have enough money to continue feeding your passion.

One last thing, about the term cardist. If what you do involve cards, and it is artistic, then I think it is cardistry. Do you see yourself as a cardist? Then you are one. Good or bad does not matter. How you use it doesn't matter. There are no rules in art forms.

What art "rules" are is more like "classification". Look at cardestroy. Some say it's not cardistry, others say it is. We could classify it as a branch of cardistry, try to describe or tag it. But it is original, it uses cards and it is artistic. Are squids cardistry? Same question. It does not involve cards, but it spanned out of cardistry, can be an art form in itself, or a creation tool for cardist. It is still art, and the artist won't stop at definitions to do what he loves and to create.

Feb 12, 2016
I think of Cardistry as a artists tools. Like a painter has different techniques, pallet knifes, brushes, and types of media that is used to create one work of art. For a Magician, Cardistry adds a style and form to the other elements of his/her overall finished work. So I do not see it as a hobby, but as something that can be added to a magician's act, or a Jugglers act, or to a line of products that one is trying to market.
I have SAME opinion...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results