A little advice....

Jul 26, 2018
Ok so I need some advice. I've been practicing magic on and off for years, my last attempt lasted a couple years and I was actually starting to see progress, but then I stopped(for reasons I can't remember) and here I am about 10 years later and Ive been interested in starting again.

This time, however, I want to do it right. I've always loved and respected the craft but, i must admit, being young and in the age of YouTube I fell into the bad habits that a lot of beginners make. Getting frustrated and giving up on effects, trying to learning 50 things at once, trying to progress so fast I don't have a strong foundation, etc..

So here's my predicament. I'm right-handed but hold and handle the cards left-handed(from the first time I picked up some cards, it's always just felt more comfortable to me). There are some sleights that are much easier with my right hand (when I hold the deck "properly") and I'm curious as to whether I should start from scratch and relearn everything with the deck in my left hand, or if I should just keep going the way I am and just practice the way I'm used to.

On one hand, I feel like starting from scratch will completely ruin all the work I put in in the past needlessly. On the other hand, im sure if I were to practice and handle cards in either hand it could only help later down the line.

Should I start from scratch and learn with the deck in my left hand? Or should I just say "screw it" and pick back up where I left off(just with a much stronger emphasis on mastering the basics)? I really want to do it right this time. I want to show my love and passion, I want to progress, I want to learn my craft.

Thank you in advance to any advice or help you guys can give.

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
I'm right-handed but hold and handle the cards left-handed(from the first time I picked up some cards, it's always just felt more comfortable to me). There are some sleights that are much easier with my right hand (when I hold the deck "properly") and I'm curious as to whether I should start from scratch and relearn everything with the deck in my left hand, or if I should just keep going the way I am and just practice the way I'm used to.

Should I start from scratch and learn with the deck in my left hand? Or should I just say "screw it" and pick back up where I left off(just with a much stronger emphasis on mastering the basics)? I really want to do it right this time. I want to show my love and passion, I want to progress, I want to learn my craft.

Thank you in advance to any advice or help you guys can give.

No, you should just keep going the way you are and just practice the way you're already used to. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel. You should just say "screw it" and pick back up where you left off(just with a much stronger emphasis on mastering the basics)

Lee Asher & John Carney also hold the deck in their right hand.

Something Richard Kaufman said on his Basic Card Technique Video/DVD comes to mind: "...Each person must do their magic differently, each person's fingers are differently shaped and have different sizes the palms of the hands, the muscles, the tendons. ... You must find a way that works for you."

Reactions: ZackF
Jul 26, 2018
No, you should just keep going the way you are and just practice the way you're already used to. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel. You should just say "screw it" and pick back up where you left off(just with a much stronger emphasis on mastering the basics)

Lee Asher & John Carney also hold the deck in their right hand.

Something Richard Kaufman said on his Basic Card Technique Video/DVD comes to mind: "...Each person must do their magic differently, each person's fingers are differently shaped and have different sizes the palms of the hands, the muscles, the tendons. ... You must find a way that works for you."

Thank you, that was super helpful. I've always struggled a bit because I have odd hands(SUPER tiny with large gaps), but that was super motivating. Thanks again.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
"...Each person must do their magic differently, each person's fingers are differently shaped and have different sizes the palms of the hands, the muscles, the tendons. ... You must find a way that works for you."

Quoted for emphasis.

Do what works for you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results