Where Can I Find This?

Seth Hughes

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2018
VA
I Was preforming for a friend recently, And he told me about an effect where the Magician had him pick a card, loose it in the deck, the then sprang them into the air. All the cards then landed on the ground face down except for one, (build suspence... oh no what card could it be?... will we ever know?) The selected card! ( BOOM BIG REVEAL!)

I have no idea where I can find this effect. Or if it exists at all. Any help is deeply appreciated.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
A lot of times a story someone tells of an effect a magician did is Far better than what was actually performed.
This happens quite often in magic. It is quite possible your friend unknowingly missed telling you part of the effect or added something that never happened.

Seth Hughes

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2018
VA
A lot of times a story someone tells of an effect a magician did is Far better than what was actually performed.
This happens quite often in magic. It is quite possible your friend unknowingly missed telling you part of the effect or added something that never happened.
If that is the case, then now I have an idea for an amazing original effect!

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
I'm not saying that is what happened. It just seems to me like something is missing.
I need to remind you, I'm definitely no expert. Perhaps @RealityOne can help more than I can. I believe he's answered questions for Houdini and Jesus lol

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Sep 10, 2017
There are a lot of versions. Shin lim published shinag which is the more flashy version. Michael obrien teaches a version of it free in his youtube channel. Mark calabrese published grab via ellusionist which uses a dribble instead of a spring, but is one of the cleanest versions , ... . There are a lot of versions with different methods, but you can create your own method as well.

Reactions: edweibe

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Perhaps @RealityOne can help more than I can. I believe he's answered questions for Houdini and Jesus lol

It was actually Moses and the double lift followed by the springing thing with the stone tablets didn't quite turn out that well.

I have no idea where I can find this effect. Or if it exists at all. Any help is deeply appreciated.

As others have said, there are a variety of ways to do this.

The earliest reverse card effect I can find in print in English s in T. Nelson Downs's Art of Magic, but that one was an old one back there. There also are a significant number of reversed card effects in Encyclopedia of Card Tricks. However, none of those involve springing the cards up into the air, rather merely spreading the deck. Those methods would be able to be used more in dribbling the cards to the floor where there is little risk of the cards changing position

I can think of only one surefire way to do this based on the springing "up in the air" which would require rifling the deck to select the spectator's card and none of the cards would be examinable.

There are a lot of versions. Shin lim published shinag which is the more flashy version. Michael obrien teaches a version of it free in his youtube channel. Mark calabrese published grab via ellusionist which uses a dribble instead of a spring, but is one of the cleanest versions , ... . There are a lot of versions with different methods, but you can create your own method as well.

None of those have the all of the cards landing on the floor with only the selection face up. However, my favorite effect in that vein is Hit the Deck in Scarne on Card Tricks.

Reactions: Mr_ARPY

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
This particular version involves springing the cards in the air, and having them all land on the ground face down except the spectators, which is face up.

It's the same version. Angel, Vernon and the others could have performed it on land but chose to perform it on water for more dramatic effect.

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
I'm pretty sure I've seen it somewhere as well. It was a street magic routine but I can't recall the performer. I might have been David Blaine.

David Blaine performed a similar but different effect. But I can't describe it without giving the effect away.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results