"What's the hardest trick you know?"

Jan 2, 2016
California
Does anyone else get this question a lot? If so, how do you respond?

Usually something like, "ah yes, the unshuffle" or something along those lines and then I'll just do a slop shuffle triumph or any trick that I can do without messing up.

I've also considered showing them a real, difficult sleight (A pass for example) in slow motion, then doing a trick that could be done with that sleight but is done using something simpler and cleaner (like a phase of a standard ACR), but I'm not sure how I feel about exposing a legitimate sleight like that.

If you have heard this question, how do you respond? Are you honest and do you show them the most difficult thing you can do well? Or do you do what I do and just perform a trick that you could do in your sleep?

For those who haven't heard this question, how would you respond to it?

Thanks guys!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Good question.

I think the wrong way to react to this is to do a trick or sleight that you actually have a hard time with. You should probably go into something you know.

I pull out a gambling expose. I'll do a bottom deal, or second deal demonstration that ends in a magical way. These demonstrations usually look like legitimate skill, oftentimes they are very difficult, and they still end with magic.

I want to do more adventure magic tricks though. I want people to ask that, then I look down at my watch and go, "I don't know if we have time. I need a gallon of gasoline and a clearing in the woods...do you want to see it?" Then we take a hike and I do something amazing. I've never done this, but I would love to!

Jan 2, 2016
California
I want to do more adventure magic tricks though. I want people to ask that, then I look down at my watch and go, "I don't know if we have time. I need a gallon of gasoline and a clearing in the woods...do you want to see it?" Then we take a hike and I do something amazing. I've never done this, but I would love to!
Did you get that idea from The Jerx? I know he posts about stuff like that all the time. I've wanted to do that too haha.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Did you get that idea from The Jerx? I know he posts about stuff like that all the time. I've wanted to do that too haha.

It's where my mind has been lately.

The Jerx is definitely part of it but he's not the only one. Max Malini, Alvo Stockman, Paul Harris, and Brent Braun have all got me thinking about it. Brent with his book and all of Andy's material have got me thinking. I'm definitely a member of the GLOMM haha!

One thing that the question indicates is that they are interested and that they are up for something different. I think it's totally appropriate to do a long-form trick at this point :)

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Jan 2, 2016
California
It's where my mind has been lately.

The Jerx is definitely part of it but he's not the only one. Max Malini, Alvo Stockman, Paul Harris, and Brent Braun have all got me thinking about it. Brent with his book and all of Andy's material have got me thinking. I'm definitely a member of the GLOMM haha!

One thing that the question indicates is that they are interested and that they are up for something different. I think it's totally appropriate to do a long-form trick at this point :)
Isn't every magician a GLOMM member unless they're a sex offender?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results