Routines involving gambling sleights

Nov 3, 2018
Hi guys,
As some of you may know, I've been practicing gambling sleight-of-hand for the last year (false deals, shuffles, mucks etc.). Now I'd like to put what I've learned to some use, so I'm looking for routines that involve this kind of sleight-of-hand.
Let me be clear: I am not looking for gambling demonstrations! But for magic routines that utilize this sleight-of-hand. If possible, I'd like to buy a book (or DVD) with several of these tricks, not just individual trick, so it would be great if you could point me in the right direction on this.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
If you have the money buy The Darwin Ortiz Collection, there are many gambling routines on there.... Anything Darwin Ortiz is gold for this sort of stuff.

I've been doing card magic for 5 years now and I don't believe a year to be enough to master all the material in the scope of gambling sleights. I may be a slow learner but I think these moves with practicing 4-5 hours a day still take years to master. 1 year you will make progress no doubt, but if you want to be extremely adept you will A) have to first give up the notion that you will have a life B) Practice a lot.

Here is the latest from me:

Good Luck. Hope this helps:)

Reactions: JoshL8 and Mr_ARPY
Sep 10, 2017
If you have the money buy The Darwin Ortiz Collection, there are many gambling routines on there.... Anything Darwin Ortiz is gold for this sort of stuff.

I've been doing card magic for 5 years now and I don't believe a year to be enough to master all the material in the scope of gambling sleights. I may be a slow learner but I think these moves with practicing 4-5 hours a day still take years to master. 1 year you will make progress no doubt, but if you want to be extremely adept you will A) have to first give up the notion that you will have a life B) Practice a lot.

Here is the latest from me:

Good Luck. Hope this helps:)
Good as ever. That push through looked really good, btw.

Nov 3, 2018
If you have the money buy The Darwin Ortiz Collection, there are many gambling routines on there.
I'll say it again: I am not looking for gambling routines! I am looking for not-gambling-themed tricks that utilize sleights like seconds, bottoms, false shuffles etc.

I will not (and have not) claim to have mastered anything. I don't believe a year is enough to master even a bottom deal or push-through, let alone everything there is in gambling sleights! However, though far from being a "master", I have become good enough to fool most laymen, and I would like to use the skill I have acquired over the last year in magic tricks. Otherwise, this time I have spent practicing the sleights would have been largely wasted, and I don't want that.

Anyway, thank you for your helpfulness!

PS: By the way, I especially like your second deal. It's done very well, in my opinion :)

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
I'll say it again: I am not looking for gambling routines! I am looking for not-gambling-themed tricks that utilize sleights like seconds, bottoms, false shuffles etc.

I will not (and have not) claim to have mastered anything. I don't believe a year is enough to master even a bottom deal or push-through, let alone everything there is in gambling sleights! However, though far from being a "master", I have become good enough to fool most laymen, and I would like to use the skill I have acquired over the last year in magic tricks. Otherwise, this time I have spent practicing the sleights would have been largely wasted, and I don't want that.

Anyway, thank you for your helpfulness!

PS: By the way, I especially like your second deal. It's done very well, in my opinion :)

My apologies @Scodischarge .... I just happen to look at the title of your thread and made a poor assumption. What you're probably thinking of are tricks like Dunbury Delusion found in Expert Card Technique which is not really gambling related but provide great application for the second deal.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment.... And I would like to see your false deal progress thus far. :)

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Nov 3, 2018
My apologies @Scodischarge .... I just happen to look at the title of your thread and made a poor assumption. What you're probably thinking of are tricks like Dunbury Delusion found in Expert Card Technique which is not really gambling related but provide great application for the second deal.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment.... And I would like to see your false deal progress thus far. :)

No worries, I'm sorry if I came off too harsh. :)
I didn't find the trick going over the table of contents, could you give me the page number, please? But yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for -- applications for gambling sleights in "normal" (= not gambling related) card magic.

I've been wanting to make a video on my progress so far for quite some time, but I haven't got to it yet. But you'll be among the first to know, and I'd value your criticism a lot :)

Sep 10, 2017
I think I know what you’re looking for. In Gene Maze’s art of bottom dealing there are a lot of effects that require false deals, but aren’t gambling themed. I think really think it’s worth checking out.

Nov 3, 2018
I think I know what you’re looking for. In Gene Maze’s art of bottom dealing there are a lot of effects that require false deals, but aren’t gambling themed. I think really think it’s worth checking out.

Thank you, I'll check that out (though it seems to be pretty rare, by what I've seen)! Does anybody know of a book that teaches tricks with more than "just" false deals in terms of gambling techniques? I know that Marlo did a lot of work on gambling techniques; did he not develop any routines using those? Does Vernon maybe have something in his books?
Appreciate your help! :)

Sep 10, 2017
Thank you, I'll check that out (though it seems to be pretty rare, by what I've seen)! Does anybody know of a book that teaches tricks with more than "just" false deals in terms of gambling techniques? I know that Marlo did a lot of work on gambling techniques; did he not develop any routines using those? Does Vernon maybe have something in his books?
Appreciate your help! :)
As I’ve mentioned before, you can find a few in Marlo without tears. And even though I don’t own mint vol 1 % 2, I’ve heard a lot of great things about it. They’re filled with routines and as it’s from Marlo, there’s gotta be some gambling sleight related stuff in it as well.
And about vernon, as someone who own almost every vernon book, there are quite a few gambling themed tricks, but not too many hardcore gambling sleight required ones. At least none that I can recall.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
No worries, I'm sorry if I came off too harsh. :)
I didn't find the trick going over the table of contents, could you give me the page number, please? But yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for -- applications for gambling sleights in "normal" (= not gambling related) card magic.

I've been wanting to make a video on my progress so far for quite some time, but I haven't got to it yet. But you'll be among the first to know, and I'd value your criticism a lot :)

Expert Card Technique. Part 4. Chapter 8. Page 319:)

Nov 3, 2018
Expert Card Technique. Part 4. Chapter 8. Page 319:)
Right, thanks. Don't know why I didn't see it before. And yes, that's the sort of trick I'm looking for. Do you know any more of that sort?

As I’ve mentioned before, you can find a few in Marlo without tears. And even though I don’t own mint vol 1 % 2, I’ve heard a lot of great things about it. They’re filled with routines and as it’s from Marlo, there’s gotta be some gambling sleight related stuff in it as well.
And about vernon, as someone who own almost every vernon book, there are quite a few gambling themed tricks, but not too many hardcore gambling sleight required ones. At least none that I can recall.

Thanks for the info.

PS: By the way, if you want to get Marlo's M.I.N.T. volumes, L&L Publishing offers them as E-Books for $20 each.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results