Problem: Fingers are Too Smooth to do some effects

Starlight

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2010
Hello magic masters:
Hand lotions don't work. Octopalm too sticky and too hard to apply to specific parts of the hand or fingers.
There's got to be a way to make your fingers a bit more able to gain some friction on cards. This is necessary when trying to do various effect like: Top Shot Card Trick Tutorial - Lennart Green
I've been trying various ways to get my smooth skin to provide a bit more traction when handling cards. I know some of you know exactly what I am talking about here. There's got to be a better way to prepare your fingers for various types of card flourishes even something like: Hot Shot Cut Card Trick Tutorial [HD]
The point I'm trying to make is even better described by saying: there is a part of your finger or even your finger nail that has to come in contact with the card itself, and if your skin is too smooth then your going to have an extremely difficult time performing the effect.
I know I am not alone in trying to solve this problem.
Can you offer any assistance in solving this problem?

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
I’m sure there are a few threads in here about what hand care products people use. I work outdoors pretty often in all sorts of weather so what works for me may not work for you...But here is my 2 cents;
Certain lotions are too greasy I find but Fisherman’s Friend is my go to choice. I put it on 10 or 15 minutes before handling cards and I’m usually good for a while then. After a while touch ups are occasionally needed or maybe you just need a little peace of mind grip for a move like what you describe above.... In those instances I use magicians wax to get my fingers a bit grippy. Not to much, you don’t want to leave residue on the cards (usually). You can have a secret stash on a coat button, belt, or the table edge for easy inconspicuous access.

Hope that helps!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Hand lotions don't work.

How many have you tried, and how often do you use them? It took me some time to find lotions that actually worked for me - and my hands get so dry in the winter that I can run my fingertips over a loose deck and not shift any of the cards.

I've used O'Keefe's Working Hands a lot and it works well for me. It will completely absorb into the skin when properly rubbed in. Currently I use Gold Bond Healing Lotion multiple time a day.

The thing is you don't want to put it on right before you handle props. You want it to have time to properly absorb. Using lotion multiple times a day, particularly after a shower or extended period of the skin being wet, will bring up the moisture levels in general in your skin which gives you grip.

Reactions: DavidL11229

Starlight

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to try some suggestions. It's just so disheartening to want to practice some of the flourishes I've described earlier in this thread only to be frustrated because your fingers a smooth and don't have enough grip on the cards. All you really need is some friction on your fingers. But you also don't want to leave a gunky film or make your hands sticky on your hands either. Something has to work without turning your hands silky smooth, that some skin care lotions do for you. For those of you who love performing magic as I do, I hope this thread helps other magicians too.

Starlight

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2010
"What's disheartening is where you're learning the flourishes from."
Well, that is your opinion. And I respect your opinion.
However, some of the Y/tube videos are well done and explained. Not all Y/tube videos are of high quality, of course. But some are indeed good.
The problem I've described in starting this thread has got to be a very common problem for all magicians.
And I am very grateful for some of the replies I've received to date.
So, let's not be to critical about where somebody learns something, let's just focus upon, the real problem. And some of you have offered some promising solutions. Thank you again. I plan on trying some of the previous solutions.
Have a great day folks.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Well. Two things.

First - learning from YouTube has many issues when it comes to magic. First and foremost being that the vast majority of YouTube tutorials for magic tricks are being taught by people who are not the creators, taught improperly improperly, and without credit the actual creators. The people revealing methods are doing so purely for their own benefit. It's basically considered a form of intellectual theft/piracy.

But second - flourishing isn't a secret art form. It's juggling. My impression is that the vast majority of cardistry is taught in free tutorials because there's no secret to reveal, it's just a series of movements that everyone can, and is supposed to, see.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results