Saturday Night Contest - Resolutions for 2023!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a great weekend! As 2022 comes to a close, we were reminded of everything we have done over the past year and where it has gotten us heading into the new year. It's always exciting to begin a new year, so first and foremost, Happy New Year from all of us at theory11!

We want to know - in your own words - what you feel you have accomplished over this last year (2022) in magic, cardistry, or card collecting. Some of you may have performed your first show, others may have come up with a cool idea or concept that found its way into your repertoire, or maybe you just discovered the art or card collecting and want to share how it's impacted your life. The contest tonight is simple - tell us about it.

In addition, we want to know what your resolutions are for this next year - 2023. What are your goals? What would you like to see yourself accomplish in magic, cardistry, or card collecting over the coming year? We want to hear about it!

Because this is a written contest, everyone of you is free to participate. Submissions should be posted as responses to this thread - and all entries must be in by tomorrow, Sunday, January 1st at 11:00pm EST for judging. We will review the posts and announce the winner (selected at random) once time is up. Note that submissions can vary in length - but are limited to 500 words, maximum.

The winner takes home 1,000 Elite Member Points, a deck of Gold Artisans, and 6 Decks of your choice (they have to currently be in stock).

We look forward to reading through all of your accomplishments, aspirations, thoughts, and goals!

Sep 30, 2021
www.youtube.com
WOW, where to even start, this year has been a crazy whirlwind for sure. I went from having 600 subscribers and barely 10 decks of cards. To now almost 10,000 subscribers and almost 400 decks of cards. The number of things that have happened this year is mind-blowing. I went from the home I've lived in for almost 7 years to a brand-new place and left my brother behind. For this next year I want to grow my YouTube channel to hopefully 50k subscribers. I would also love to obtain a sponsorship (Theory11😉) I also want to start designing my own custom deck of cards! I have many more goals for this next year that I can't fit into this one post. But in the end, I just want to grow and learn more about myself and those around me and also help build the magic/cardistry community. Thank you to all who were apart of this amazing year! Good luck all!

Dec 11, 2022
I’ve never really been that interested in cards until I was introduced to types of cards with beautiful intricate designs and details. (Theory 11 cards) I feel I’ve accomplished a very v e r y nice collection of cards, by somehow getting my hands on mandarin monarchs. I would love to collect some more cards(hopefully rare 😉)and grow my knowledge as a young magician!

Happy new year to all!

Apr 16, 2022
The last year was when I started learning about magic collecting decks and cardistry... Honestly, it has been the best year of my LIFE. After losing my wife 3 years ago my sons and I have been able to bond through collecting and gaming. My youngest son and I learn magic together (mostly card tricks). I started cardistry this year after collecting so many cards I realized I wanted to do something with all my open decks sitting around.
This upcoming year I hope to grow my collection. My favorite decks are Artisans, and I have been trying to save up points to complete my collection with the Gold. More of my goals would be building a stronger relationship with my children through magic and card games. The laughter and happiness these things have brought us is beyond any words. Good luck everybody have a beautiful new year!

theSunnyG

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2012
This year I feel like I've picked up cards more often again, and I've begun practicing more niche cardistry moves. In fact I started learning a new one only a week ago, and finally seeing some good progress! Going into 2023 strong, haha.

In 2023, I'd love to be able to nail a second deal or bottom deal. I remember thinking 8 years ago, ahh it's already too late for me to start. But if only I had started back then, the progress I'd have now... so, the resolution for life, in fact, is that it's never too late! Happy New Year all. To health, happiness, and a crispy deck on hand at all times.

ShekC

Elite Member
Dec 11, 2014
I was able to attend Cardistry-con 2022 and met lots of amazing people. I’m not much of a cardist but I was able to learn ‘Waterfall’ and it’s such a satisfying move.

For 2023, I’d love to attend Cardistry-con again as it’s in my home town and learn more Cardistry moves from the best people.

Good luck everyone! :)

Dec 9, 2022
This year was the beginning of my card collecting, it all started with getting a deck on contraband's for Christmas to finishing the year with over 70 decks. Im hoping to grow my collection this year, but probably not as quickly as i did this year, i spent way to much this year. Happy new year to all!

Aristotilean

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2018
My goal for this year is mainly about showmanship. I have always enjoyed practicing sleights and effects, but as a hobbyist I really only perform individual tricks for friends. I want to put together a short impromptu card, ring, and mentalism “act” that can be performed in random moments of life. I really need to work primarily on patter and transitions. Looking forward to it!

Aug 22, 2022
This year started everything.
I never thought I'd be able to do magic, I never thought I'd be able to hold twelve ordinary decks of card and use them to blow someone away, but this year I started learning. It started with my purchase of a purple Avengers deck, when I decided the best way to show off my awesome deck was to learn a few simple tricks. I did, but I still wasn't satisfied. Now that I knew how the magic worked, I wanted to know more. I purchased a few card tricks from theory 11, both simple tricks that can be easily preformed with an ordinary deck. And from there my magic knowledge sky-rocketed. I started being able to see tricks and find my own way of doing them. I bought a 12 deck variety pack and started showing a variety of tricks to my friends. And it has been the most awesome thing ever. Next year I hope to come up with some unique tricks of my own, and I will be forever grateful to theory 11 for sparking that.

Eliyahu

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
For years I've had a really good show magicwise, but it didn't feel professional. Based on the advice of John Graham as well as some friends of mine I started investing for the first time in things that don't add anything to the magic itself, but help people appreciate the show better. The main things I purchased to accomplish that were a proper case, a folding table, and most importantly, a proper headset microphone.

This year I hope to buy a speaker system that could allow my show to be heard by groups up to 500 (my current one can only handle groups of around 100) and I'd like to lengthen my show to offer people to option of booking a longer show.

Dec 28, 2022
It wasn’t until I browsed a game aisle on Dec. 26 that I managed to stumble upon a company I had no idea existed.

My eye caught a Tuck Box (which I learned by watching card reviews) that was unlike anything I had ever seen. The first deck I saw, 007, was one of the most beautiful things I laid eyes on.

I didn’t buy that deck, but I went home to learn more about Theory 11. Less than 24 hours later, I went to every store that could possibly carry T11 cards to find my first deck. I bought 2: Harry Potter (Gold) and The Beatles (Blue). Six decks later, I have eight total and am waiting on my first brick plus two more to arrive this week. 22 decks in less than a week. I am hooked on this happiness.

The joy and adventure I felt from discovering these cards, and the many intricacies and details they possess is something I am lucky to close 2022 on.

It is also something I will continue in 2023. My goal for the New Year is simple: Continue finding joy and adventure that Theory 11 has provided me. I’m grateful.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
I’m looking forward to another year with the family. We moved to a new place one year ago so now we are settled in, the kids like their new schools and friends and my new work is decent. Really that is great, I’d love to work on keeping this going smoothly!

As for any resolutions Magic wise….I’ve been a bit too ambitious on some previous years and dialed my resolution back a bit last year because I had so much on my plate already. Ironically this past year I got more opportunities to perform in social/casual situations than before due to my new job🤣. I’d like continue to foster these opportunities thru my work and use it to help put together something more than a few routines and tricks.

PeterC9

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2017
2022 for me has been consolidating and collecting my card collection. Nothing fancy but just thoese unique and colourful desks so to speak. 2023 for me is to participate in as many Saturday night contests that I can do and try to win one and tick it off my bucket list. I will also try to discover unique mentalism tricks and to practice more. Good luck everyone and be safe..no matter where you are...Peter in Oz

Aug 23, 2021
That was really an interesting year for me. Hard one, in terms of my physical and mental health. I had some tough moments, but there always where people, who helped me and pushed me forward, so i don't give up. Thankfully to them and to the community I continued to create, learn and improve into the arts of magic and cardistry.
I had many shows in the first half of the year and became better in my audience and attention management, in my presentations and my own style. All of this wasn't going to be possible without my club - ,,Cups and balls club", the place, that I love and I perform at - ,,Magic Bar" (Bulgaria) and our foundation ,,Magic is art". Actually the club and the foundation where also created this year. We are all progressing, helping each other and ,,we rise by lifting others", as it says in our motto.
I even attended a magic competion with my friends and colleagues at the Bulgarian Fyre Magic Festival and took a medal, but most importantly I learned more about the idea and the process of creating an act and presenting it in front of a larger audinece. Right now I am making a new show with new program and that's how I am going to start the next magic season.
To be honest too many things happened and i don't remember all of them, so I'll probbably miss some of the accomplishments I've made and lets just say I had an amazing time and can't wait to see what life has prepared for me and the rest of the world.

Love you all and wish you Happy New Year! Thanks for everything!

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Because this is a written contest, everyone of you is free to participate. Submissions should be posted as responses to this thread - and all entries must be in by tomorrow, Sunday, January 1st at 11:00pm EST for judging. We will review the posts and announce the winner (selected at random) once time is up. Note that submissions can vary in length - but are limited to 500 words, maximum.

If they are being "selected at random" there is really no sense in "judging". Kind of nitpicking the word choice here. :p

I accomplished some things during 2022 I have put up a few more videos to my youtube channel. I have practiced just that much more. Anyway my new years resolution is to up my practice hours and start exercising more often. Thanks for everything theory11. Happy New Year Everyone!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results