A apology. ChristopherT,TylerScott

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
ok, so I feel I need to apologize to ChristopherT and TylerScottIllusionist I have done you wrong, and I truly DO apologize, in both cases I was drunk. this is not a good enough reason to Post what I did, but unfortunatly it happened...so Again, from the bottom of my heart, I do honestly apologize to you...please keep reading

This is not who I am. let me explain

First off, I Love everyone doing ANY kind of magic...you are awesome....if you are the amateur just picking up a deck to where you have a stage illusion show and raking in the honeys (let`s agree...98% of us are guys and started cuz of the women...this is a joke...can we find a replacement joke..this one is getting old... (if you are a girl, don`t tell anyone, let it be a surprise...trust me....there are too few women doing magic today, if you are one of them then you hold onto that fact as long as you can as a magician, in real life performances AND on the internet...you can do some of the tricks I only dream of with the patter you can produce with that.

HOWEVER.... in the Magic community there is a divide...it`s the "reveal/don`t reveal"

and for me, this is MY standpoint on it.
if it is New and I mean...NEW, not just old techniques thrown into a "new order"...then NO don`t reveal it...I complete agree on this

as for example:
after watching Shin Lim`s performance on Penn & Teller (His second performance)....I was awestruck

I joined "magic circle norway" A while ago.....(I left them again...it was too unprofessional for me to spend cash on, compared to what I felt I gained)
during my stay there, I teamed up with a guy that offered to teach me Shin Lims Smoke gimmick.....and I had to decline his offer.
I love the effect and all...but it is not my Style...so for me there is no reason to learn it...I`ll rather belive Shin Lim is all that

however, I don`t belive Shin lim has a perfect double lift, Classic pass and such...so it is just re-wrapping of old techniques....and this is what I feel we should all be able to talk about in order to become better magicians ourselves instead of considering it as "Reveals"...do YOU want to pay x$ just to make your version of a 100 year old move a BIT better by buying a whole book...or do you want someone you can talk to and figure out stuff together with?

if YOU feel he has invented a new CARD move, then dude ok...let`s not share that...but in my view he invented a new presentation AND produced a Smoke gimmick ontop of that (he`s gonna earn cash on that one)

I am all for NOT revealing Gimmicks...but give me a break.....if I get the choice of either saying "dude...all he did was a half-assed double lift...." or "nah mate, you have to spend 200 bucks on a book"...

If you get to the point that you are activly seeking out a magic community on the internet (oh and trust me...even if you live in a semi-big city you can have a HARD time finding other magicians)
this means you are interested in magic (do not confuse this with the Capital type INTERESTED)
A old Zen Saying is "when the student is ready, the master shall appear".....are you ALL telling me that you are not good enough to teach, all you have is Book knowledge...or are you willing to TRY? (again...don`t reveal all)

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
and just to finish, today I have spent my day with my 3 nephews (ages 6-12) and been doing some mindblowing magic for them...I did a "flash paper envelope reveal" for the 2 oldest ones...and the cash inside wasn`t the big prize for them...the big prize was that afterwards I tore up a few strips of flash paper and gave it to them(the 2 oldest ones...not the 6 year old one)...and taught them how to use it (oh and for future reference...don`t try to showoff and hold the flashpaper flat in your hand)

I hope you all had a Good Xmas....for me, MY magic made my xmas excellent

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
The reason for this explanation in it`s entierty is because BOTH of my disagreements with You are about "reveals".

I honestly do apologize....but I also honestly do belive you guys are wrong as well, these days there are youtube videos on EVERY move..WHY tell them to go buy a book...why not show them the best link YOU found on youtube....

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
....I was editing that last page when it was posted...ah well...this is what "inapropriate behaviour" means...you spend 8 minutes waiting for a thread to load.....even more so when posting...(if you are editing...you are always too late...and then you get the minutes previously mentioned added ontop of that cuz you wanna check if it posted or not)...it ain`t important to me in itself,although I would like the become part of the "family" here and every family has a black sheep..so I am asking ChristopherT and Tylerscottillusionist (Who BOTH have stuff published and sold)...if they agree to it First, can the rest of the community reply AFTER them (which means...wait for them to post...if they don`t, then no worries..I shall move on)

in any case
Thank you for your time

Hakaari, The close-up illusionist

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
Damn this editing and Update thing......(you`ve been there)

I would love to talk to both of you, or just either one of you...at this point due to how long it actually takes me to be able to reply, it would be better if you could just join me at https://discord.gg/SXWQePs (everyone interested in cards or magic is also welcome)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
these days there are youtube videos on EVERY move..WHY tell them to go buy a book...why not show them the best link YOU found on youtube....

Because I've never seen a tutorial on YouTube that I felt came even close to the quality of education one will get from a book. And because I don't watch YouTube videos, I read books. I have spent ... I dunno, probably at least over two thousand dollars on magic books. I don't regret any of them. I've probably spent similar amounts on videos, and I do regret many of those. The quality of information in a book is just generally better than the quality of information in even well made videos, for a variety of reasons.

As a rule, YT tutorials are just bad. Poorly shot videos of someone who doesn't understand or doesn't convey what's actually important in magic. I'm sure some of the guys who do tutorials understand magic, but if they do, they also understand that revealing moves will get them more views than discussing the theory that makes them work.

And every YT tutorial is posted to get views, no matter what they try to say.

So I don't recommend them, because they suck at conveying what I feel is important information.

As for your apology. Sure, I accept. I honestly didn't even read your responses to the previous thread, and I had nothing to do with you being flagged.

But I will say this - Alcohol doesn't turn someone into Mr. Hyde. It just removes the filters from Dr. Jekyll.

I wish you good luck in your future endeavors, and have no desire to have any part in them.

Nov 12, 2016
Because I've never seen a tutorial on YouTube that I felt came even close to the quality of education one will get from a book. And because I don't watch YouTube videos, I read books. I have spent ... I dunno, probably at least over two thousand dollars on magic books. I don't regret any of them. I've probably spent similar amounts on videos, and I do regret many of those. The quality of information in a book is just generally better than the quality of information in even well made videos, for a variety of reasons.

As a rule, YT tutorials are just bad. Poorly shot videos of someone who doesn't understand or doesn't convey what's actually important in magic. I'm sure some of the guys who do tutorials understand magic, but if they do, they also understand that revealing moves will get them more views than discussing the theory that makes them work.

And every YT tutorial is posted to get views, no matter what they try to say.

So I don't recommend them, because they suck at conveying what I feel is important information.

As for your apology. Sure, I accept. I honestly didn't even read your responses to the previous thread, and I had nothing to do with you being flagged.

But I will say this - Alcohol doesn't turn someone into Mr. Hyde. It just removes the filters from Dr. Jekyll.

I wish you good luck in your future endeavors, and have no desire to have any part in them.
I don't completely agree with that... (I don't know what exactly what this whole feud is and I don't want to be in it btw) but I do need something visual to teach me it helps me a whole lot in my personal opinion. Books have their place but either having a teacher or a video helps me get the basics and refine from there. :)

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I like this quote about alcohol. Is it yours or is it from something?

Made it up on the spot.

I don't completely agree with that... (I don't know what exactly what this whole feud is and I don't want to be in it btw) but I do need something visual to teach me it helps me a whole lot in my personal opinion. Books have their place but either having a teacher or a video helps me get the basics and refine from there. :)

No one "needs" visual instructions. Books force you to mentally visualize the method, trick, or routine before you can even start practicing.

That being said, I've never said books are the only place to learn. Books, videos, and personal training should all be used in balance. Sometimes when you see a move executed it helps you. The problem with relying solely on videos is that it tends to make one copy everything in the video, because it's much harder to separate the method from the personality of teacher in videos.

Nov 12, 2016
Made it up on the spot.

No one "needs" visual instructions. Books force you to mentally visualize the method, trick, or routine before you can even start practicing.

That being said, I've never said books are the only place to learn. Books, videos, and personal training should all be used in balance. Sometimes when you see a move executed it helps you. The problem with relying solely on videos is that it tends to make one copy everything in the video, because it's much harder to separate the method from the personality of teacher in videos.
Alright I can agree with that (Insert thumbs up emoji here)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results