Aaron Fisher's Gravity Half Pass

Sep 6, 2007
Can anyone here actually do it the way he does it?

None of those silly "this is my version of the gravity half pass".

And none of that squaring action after the half pass, he doesn't do that and I've seen someone do it saying that there's nothing wrong with that but there is since the main point of the gravity half pass is to avoid that unnatural movement.

A video of someone doing it RIGHT would be great, if you don't do it right or you "Just started working on it" don't make a video or you'll expose the whole thing.

Jan 1, 2008

And none of that squaring action after the half pass, he doesn't do that and I've seen someone do it saying that there's nothing wrong with that but there is since the main point of the gravity half pass is to avoid that unnatural movement.

A video of someone doing it RIGHT would be great, if you don't do it right or you "Just started working on it" don't make a video or you'll expose the whole thing.

Just to double check here; you want a video of someone ostensibly raising the deck to the fingertips?

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA

Hey man,

I can do it, but not fast enough. It takes me a good 10 seconds to complete it, because I'm making sure nothing moves. I think I'll be able to do it within a few weeks, so I'll try to get a video up.

David

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
I'll PM you with a video. :) That way even if you consider it messed up no-one will see it :D. It's best with a bit of misdirection but the two times I'll PM you are the best I've done it without.

- Sean

Sep 6, 2007
Just to double check here; you want a video of someone ostensibly raising the deck to the fingertips?

I just want to know if anybody here does it right, without "their own" handling.

I work on mine everyday all day long and I'm proud to say that I have it down and it's one of the most if not my most useful sleight.

Sep 1, 2007
Hi Sean

Could you PM me your performance of the move too?

I'm in the process of learning this move as well.:)

Sep 1, 2007
This is funny, I just picked up the Paper Engine for the first time in a while JUST TODAY and was working on cleaning up my Gravity Half Pass and I too would like a video of someone doing it correctly. Haha. Not an exposed view, just what the spectator sees when you are doing the move.

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia

Squaring up IS a natural movement. We don't keep the deck stationary in our hands. We constanly move our hands around and square up every now and then.

I agree with shanku, if there's no minor squaring action people will see your left palm raise for no reason or the top half dropping. When ever I Hermann pass or half-pass I just always cover it with a squaring action. Well it's probably best described as in the action of sqauring, I half-pass. I'd pay money to see someone do it 3 seconds without moving their hands at all. Where as in running my middle fingers across the front of the deck (taking less than 3 seconds) I can pass or half pass.

Sep 1, 2007
It's a bit dark apparently, so what I'll do is film it in better conditions tomorrow. The OP says he has it down though, so you might be better off asking him as I don't think mine is completely down just yet.

- Sean

Er..who's OP?

Sep 6, 2007
I agree with shanku, if there's no minor squaring action people will see your left palm raise for no reason or the top half dropping. When ever I Hermann pass or half-pass I just always cover it with a squaring action. Well it's probably best described as in the action of sqauring, I half-pass. I'd pay money to see someone do it 3 seconds without moving their hands at all. Where as in running my middle fingers across the front of the deck (taking less than 3 seconds) I can pass or half pass.

The Gravity Half Pass takes about 1 second to do. And because there's NO squaring action afterwards there's NO sign that nothing happened.

It's invisible, I've seen Aaron do it at the castle and on his dvd that he sells on his website.

I work on mine everyday all day long and I'm proud to say that I have it down and it's one of the most if not my most useful sleight.

This comment begs the question: if you have it down, why didn't you post your video instead of asking others to see theirs?

I feel like the first post of this thread should be Aaron's question to ask. If he's not policing the community for people doing his work flawlessly, and demanding proof, why should anyone else?

Pj

Sep 1, 2007
Well I am still not great at it and would like to see a well executed one (or rather, not see it, but I would like to see how long the hands are in position, etc.

Sep 6, 2007
This comment begs the question: if you have it down, why didn't you post your video instead of asking others to see theirs?

I feel like the first post of this thread should be Aaron's question to ask. If he's not policing the community for people doing his work flawlessly, and demanding proof, why should anyone else?

Pj

I'm making one either tonite or tomorrow.

The reason why I made this thread is because I've read before that some people here love to "perform" the gravity half pass and I very well know that it's not something easy to get down. Not only with that sleight but with a lot of them. But because this is the one sleight that I use the most and took me the longest to achieve, I want to know if it's really true that some people can perform it.

If there's anyone out there that does it well then they know how cool it is to be able to use it at anytime.

It's invisible, it's quick, it's the perfect secret weapon.

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
The Gravity Half Pass takes about 1 second to do. And because there's NO squaring action afterwards there's NO sign that nothing happened.

It's invisible, I've seen Aaron do it at the castle and on his dvd that he sells on his website.

Then how do you explain Photo 9 on page 19 of The Paper Engine? Read lines 9 to 15 on page 19 and look at the photo next to it (Photo 9) and explain that.

Here's a picture with no exposure of the method: (you can't possibly learn the half pass from this image)

2nhhix1.png

Sep 1, 2007
I'm making one either tonite or tomorrow.

The reason why I made this thread is because I've read before that some people here love to "perform" the gravity half pass and I very well know that it's not something easy to get down. Not only with that sleight but with a lot of them. But because this is the one sleight that I use the most and took me the longest to achieve, I want to know if it's really true that some people can perform it.

If there's anyone out there that does it well then they know how cool it is to be able to use it at anytime.

It's invisible, it's quick, it's the perfect secret weapon.

Is it alright if you could send the video to me too? Thank you very much:)

Alvin

Sep 6, 2007
Then how do you explain Photo 9 on page 19 of The Paper Engine? Read lines 9 to 15 on page 19 and look at the photo next to it (Photo 9) and explain that.

Here's a picture with no exposure of the method: (you can't possibly learn the half pass from this image)

2nhhix1.png

You're right, I made a tiny mistake.

I meant to say "THERE IS NO ALL AROUND SQUARE UP ACTION" like in the traditional half pass or Chriss Twist, asuming if you know the chriss twist. You DO however raise the deck to your finger tips BUT AS YOU SHOULD KNOW SINCE YOU HAVE THE BOOK, the squaring action there is minimal.

If you do it right, or if you've seen Aaron do it whether at the castle or on dvd you will see that the squaring action is very very small.

Trust me, once you learn how to do it you'll see that it takes about a second or less to do the half pass and the squaring action is very very very very small.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results