Advice for my first magic gig?

Dec 14, 2007
Every situation is different and an experienced magician learns how to read the room and choose material accordingly. The more of these you do, the more you will learn.

With 75 people you might run into a common problem, people gathering around you for a "show". If the crowd gets too big, then it becomes very easy to burn through all of your material in one or two shots. Then, what are you left with?

I think, based on what you have described, trying to work for small groups with 2 maybe 3 tricks per group is fine. Now, this is a generational thing I am sure, but the tricks I do tend to take quite a bit of time. They move forward and are engaging, but I don't do any "hit em and run" type tricks which seem to be sold as "street magic" these days.

To me, the art of performing walk around has more to do with one's social skills than sleight of hand abilities. Of course, your magic has to be deceptive and entertaining, but you are more of a host than a performer. I want them to enjoy talking with me as much as they do watching my magic. To me, I must ENGAGE them.

But back to basics:

If you control your group size, do a two or three trick set and move on, you should have no problem using the same set for each of the groups.

If you try and manage 4 people per group, you have 19 groups at the party. 6 minutes per group is about 2 hours of work if you hit everyone. Don't watch the clock, but it lets you know what a good target is. Also, you will need time to go to the next group, get water, reset, etc.

You only get one chance to make an impression, so each show should be the best it can be - the best material, the most charming personality, etc. When you walk to the next group, you are starting all over again. Find your best. Deliver your best.

Brad Henderson

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Every situation is different and an experienced magician learns how to read the room and choose material accordingly. The more of these you do, the more you will learn.

With 75 people you might run into a common problem, people gathering around you for a "show". If the crowd gets too big, then it becomes very easy to burn through all of your material in one or two shots. Then, what are you left with?

I think, based on what you have described, trying to work for small groups with 2 maybe 3 tricks per group is fine. Now, this is a generational thing I am sure, but the tricks I do tend to take quite a bit of time. They move forward and are engaging, but I don't do any "hit em and run" type tricks which seem to be sold as "street magic" these days.

To me, the art of performing walk around has more to do with one's social skills than sleight of hand abilities. Of course, your magic has to be deceptive and entertaining, but you are more of a host than a performer. I want them to enjoy talking with me as much as they do watching my magic. To me, I must ENGAGE them.

But back to basics:

If you control your group size, do a two or three trick set and move on, you should have no problem using the same set for each of the groups.

If you try and manage 4 people per group, you have 19 groups at the party. 6 minutes per group is about 2 hours of work if you hit everyone. Don't watch the clock, but it lets you know what a good target is. Also, you will need time to go to the next group, get water, reset, etc.

You only get one chance to make an impression, so each show should be the best it can be - the best material, the most charming personality, etc. When you walk to the next group, you are starting all over again. Find your best. Deliver your best.

Brad Henderson

Thanks a lot for your helpful insight! I'll try my best to put on a good show and have a good time...
Wish me luck!

Oct 8, 2007
I just forgot to say this back then but to close my act, whether it's for a small group of people or a fairly large one, I like to hand them a little souvenir to let them have a piece of the magic. I give out their signed card, a Bicycle mini card that matches the spectator's selection (I place these in my wallet; the mini cards seem more appealing in a way too, nice give away), maybe even roses, though i haven't done that before. And if you have business cards, then maybe you can find a way to incorporate that into your trick as a finale so you can hand it to them. Giving out these items remind the specetators of what you just did and give them a lasting impression of you.

Good luck!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results