Advice wanted for a beginner...

Jan 17, 2008
I would appreciate some advice as to what effect would be good for someone just starting in "magic". I am a 65 yr old retiree living in Guatemala with time on my hands and would like to learn some card and coin effects to amuse myself and my friends.

Have been considering TnR and/or maybe Witness.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
hmm well as a beginner i'd say learn impromptu (no props or gimmicks necessary) and self working tricks. It's also good to learn Sleight of Hand which goes for most impromptu tricks.
and PRACTICE. Remember, being a magician should be about having fun and loving what you do! welcome!

ES

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I suggest having a look at the book Royal Road to Card Magic, that will give you a very solid foundaton into your future with magic.

You will learn all the essential slieghts that are needed in magic and tricks to apply those slieghts to.

I would suggest staying away from single trick dvd's for nwo and focusing on books and what not where you learn alot of material for alot less of a price.

Sep 1, 2007
Allan Luu has hit the nail on the head. Royal Road is a well respected beginner's resource. Also consider "Card College" by Roberto Giobbi, and "Double Take" on DVD by Greg Wilson.

Happy hunting!

Sep 1, 2007
I would appreciate some advice as to what effect would be good for someone just starting in "magic". I am a 65 yr old retiree living in Guatemala with time on my hands and would like to learn some card and coin effects to amuse myself and my friends.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bienvenido! I would say Witness is a very good purchase. It teaches you a great effect that is simple and effective. I just came back from El Salvador (I am Salvadorian) and I can tell you people will love it. The books recommended by other members are very good also. Maybe getting Karl Fulves books on self working tricks would be a good way to start, since he teaches you simple tricks that are extremely effective.

How is Antigua Guatemala?, I haven't been there in years

Juan M.

Jan 11, 2008
New york
Allan Luu has hit the nail on the head. Royal Road is a well respected beginner's resource. Also consider "Card College" by Roberto Giobbi, and "Double Take" on DVD by Greg Wilson.

Happy hunting!

yes and "Card college light" is the book of "self working" (No to Little slight of hand) card magic.

Jan 11, 2008
New york

Happy hunting!

yes and "Card college light" is the book of "self working" (No to Little slight of hand) card magic. as for coins "Daryl" has a whole series on coin magic.and cards for that matter. Good to have you.

Sep 1, 2007

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Try Bobo's Modern Coin Magic or Royal Road to Card Magic. Good simple and advanced material in there. Great for beginners.

Jay Sankey's magic might also be good. PenguinMagic.com has a lot of his stuff.

From here, I'd definitely recommend Witness or even Digital Dissolve.

Oct 6, 2007
If you are a retiree and have lots of time, magic could be a really big part of you.

If you are new with magic, start witht he basics as others have said. Don't go out and just buy single trick dvds out there jsut because they amaze you...

With the basics at least you can perform more than just 1 trick, and from there you can indulge yourself in all the wonders of magic nowadays.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results