Alternative to the 4 for 4 Switch?

Apr 28, 2008
Several of the tricks I frequently perform use the 4 for 4 Switch, it's always worked well for me so far but it could be difficult to perform in some situations. E.g. If i'm standing and the spectators are sittting down and can see under the cards then they will probably see the switch.

The only other method I know is from the Art of Astonishment used in Interlaced Vanish (and probably a few other effects as well). This has great angles but I would not like to use it more than once or twice in a routine as I think it could start to look a bit suspicious.

Does anyone know of some other switches that will accomplish the same thing as the 4 for 4 switch and where I can find them?

D

DavidLira360

There is a card effect called "Double shock" by Yuic-hi Katakura where 4 cards are changed by oder 4 at least 2 times using two different methods to change the cards, these methods are good for table because there is no angle problem, but it needs setup.

You can find this at Richard Kaufman- "New Magic of Japan"

Here´s the link to the performance of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwuk6zijYro

Sep 1, 2007
Boston, Ma
The Versa switch by John Carney would accomplish the same as the 4for4. Pretty much the only drawback of this switch is the fact that it requires that you're using a table.

It's in Carneycopia by Stephen Minch

Jan 14, 2008
philippines
i had the same problem when i was learning hoffzy osborne from the trilogy..heres what i do instead of spreading the cards horizontally (side to side) try spreading it vertically thus giving you all the cover you need from the front after turning the cards over just square the deck and your done...

hope that helped hehehe

-neco

Sep 1, 2007
Card College vol. 4 has an entire section entitled "packet switches" with several possibilities. There's some very bold methods listed in there that are easy and "angle proof" but require guts and timing to pull off well.

You should be able to apply the "guts and timing" priniciple to the 4for4 switch as well of course!

David.

Apr 28, 2008
There's some great ideas in this thread, I particularly like the switch in New magic of Japan.

You should be able to apply the "guts and timing" priniciple to the 4for4 switch as well of course!

This works to some extent, unfortunatley from some angles the 4 for 4 switch is very obvious. Even if you misdirected somebody the movement of the switch may cause them to look at the deck. This only happens occasionally, in most situations the 4 for 4 is completely invisible.

Theres this switch in Satisfaction Guarenteed by DG thats a 4 for 4 switch. He counts off the cards and in that motion, switches it. its worth checking out.

I actually use this from time to time, i'd completely forgotten about it. Although I don't really like how you have to count the cards face down, in Satisfaction Guaranteed it is completely justified but in something like Thank you Lepaul it could be a bit suspicious. In some situations it will probably be very useful.

Sep 1, 2007
I understand how you feel about the anxiety of getting caught out - the 4for4 is an angly move to be sure. I encourage you to take a look at James Brown's 2008 lecture DVD where he has some excellent advice for dealing with this kind of situation.

It sounds like you feel a little guilty performing the switch. "The movement of the switch may cause them to look at the deck"? It's over in a fraction of a second and if you get the dirty work done as you misdirect, there's plenty of time for it. Having said that, there are other packet switches out there which work just as well - CC vol. 4 for example has several listed. As for as Thank You Lepaul goes, I have used a Braue Addition in the past to perform this effect and it has worked well. With the Braue, just make sure to do one of two things - either completely ignore it as its going on and talk over it, or talk about your actions - you are displaying the aces so there needs to be a reason why.

Cheers,
David.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results