andthensome double lifts

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
i advise you reading "strong magic" by darwin ortiz.

Ortiz's argument is simple. Try to make magic real for the audience. Doing a triple back flip diving board double doesn't add to the effect, it adds to the "Holy Crap, this guy is amazing with cards" effect. Here's an example:

I was doing a handling of Paul Harris's card throwing effect. I worked for hours on throwing and catching the card. Then I took it a step further, I split the deck in my hands and caught it. Then I added to the effect by making them believe their card is sandwiched between two in their hands. I preformed it for the first time, and the reaction horrified me. I had a spectator that would come back every two or three weeks to see my next effect, he wanted to see magic.
Everything went without a fluke and the person was amazed. He wasn't amazed with the transpo of their card, but moreof the throw and catch. His response was "Wow, You really good with cards!". His idea of me preforming magic was ruined.

Yeah if you watch Paul harris perform the effect he does one practice throw and screws it up, then he does the whole thing like he is not sure if it will work, when it does... It goes over really well.

Fancy double lifts and triple lifts are fun and all. But they take a lot away from the magic. It's the same for trying to do an ambitious card routine with nothing but a few XCM cuts. people are no longer amazed at their card going to top, they are impressed with cuts. Which is fine if all you do is XCM. But if you want people to believe that it was "magical". You have to make it look like its a normal everyday thing. As Vernon would always say "Be More natural!"

Another example of this was seeing David Williamson do an ACR and he pretty much blew the guy away. If you've seen David Williamson perform, you know he pretty much presents himself as a goofball and a normal guy with a deck of cards. The same can be said about most of the top guys out there.

Nov 26, 2008
Oh, I don't know if i was clear in my post, I have a tendency to do that when I "write". The trick went off with out a hitch, but the person was more impressed with the throw than the trick itself.

The rest of your post I agree with.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
now that is just crap. i know it is your opinion but seriously who the hell is going to be talking about the one part that you just happened to throw a card in the are and catch it. yeah they might briefly talk about it but they are going to be focused on the actual trick it self.

lets take a cool stage act for an example in some stage acts they have awesome lights music and people doing like flips and s*** or something of that nature while they are doing the trick, after wards nooooooo one is mainly talking about the flips they are amazed by the trick it is just nice to watch something fancy as it happens it makes the entire show more enjoyable.

i don't know about you but i wonder what those people are saying about me after i leave and they are explaining it to friends, face it some things just aren't cool if your not there, like sponge balls or something if they were to go tell there friends about it it probablly won't sound to cool i mean a guy with some little red balls that he put in my hand! but the flourishy stuff adds to the effect afterwards when explaining what happened to other people. when people hear it they will be like damn that sounds amazing!

it seems you are too worried about what professionals are doing, just because they do it does not mean that it is the preffered thing to do. so your example of professionals using simple DLs doesn't help at all.

besides the way i look at it is that if i were to do something like orbit compared to a simple turnover, the spectator afterwards when they are thinking about the trick (lets say it was a simple 2 card transpo) if they saw a normal double lift eventually they will think that oh maybe he just turned over 2 cards duh! but if they see orbit or diving board they won't think of that because they will be like no way! that can't be 2 cards! trust me that is how i used to think before i became a magician and that is how most people would think.

You can prove a double in many other ways. i simply take the top card off to show it front and back while i wrist kill. That simple and kills suspicion.

And you think that spectator might catch you DL then you should practise your skills as a performer if you know what i mean. Before getting Strong magic as nokon said , you should get Card Foundamental's and learn a thing or two about misdirection and audience management in order to make your sleights invisible .

George

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
this DVD is great for....move monkeys and creative ideas.

these "sleights" are very well knacky and "impractical", but again dan and dave arnt performers to laymen. They think about fooling and impressing the magical community. They have a take it or leave sense of attitude. The dls may NOT be good for laymen, and thats why we dont use them for laymen, we use them for magicians. if you want simple, laymen proferred dls, get a beginners DvD. itll teach you, and probably bore you, what you need to know to entertain laymen. just my 2 pennies.

peace.
-andy.

Amen.

word count

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results