Beginner on the Bottom Dealing

Aug 4, 2012
Hey this is my first post in this forum! :D
I started card magic about a year ago and after a long time practicing controls and some other "basic sleights" I thought it was time to move into more advanced sleights like false dealing and the Pass.

As far as the bottom dealing is concerned I can't get the "buckling" action with my 3rd left finger.The deck just slips out of position constantly.I try to apply pressure with my 2nd finger and palm but still that won't work.(Yes,I'm trying the Erdnase bottom deal as suggested by England in his Foundations vol I dvd.)Any suggestions?Should I try another form of bottom dealing first?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Erdnase says that you should be able to hold the deck supported by you middle finger and your palm. Once you do this your fingers surround the rest of the deck. You need to work on the mobility of the ring finger, make sure that it moves independently of the middle finger. You might try to drop cards off the bottom of the deck with just your ring finger doing the work. When doing this try not to disturb the deck.

The second part is the take with the right hand. it must be very light, don't put any pressure on the deck at all. Only move the card to be dealt. Any pressure put on the deck has the potential to skew it and you'll have to readjust before you do it again. Also, if you are making a sudden movement as you deal or using a rocking motion to hide the deal this could jar the grip as well.

I hope that helps a little.

Sep 2, 2007
London
As far as the bottom dealing is concerned I can't get the "buckling" action with my 3rd left finger.The deck just slips out of position constantly.

Erdnase himself (herself? themselves?) flags up this problem. With practice it goes away, though. It's about delicate control of the muscles and tendons of your hand, in a way which is very hard to describe so the best I can say is, keep practicing. You will get it.

Jul 8, 2012
Experiment with where in the hand the lower-right corner of the deck rests. I experimented with it for a long time before I got a satisfactory position.

Aug 4, 2012
Should I apply pressure with my left thumb on the top of the deck while I'm doing the "buckling" action?

Sep 2, 2007
London
Should I apply pressure with my left thumb on the top of the deck while I'm doing the "buckling" action?

No. The push-off of the top and bottom cards happen simultaneously so if you're putting pressure on the top of the deck then the push-off is likely to look unnatural. Too much pressure being applied will slow down the push-off and the pull-back.

May 6, 2012
Well, I highly recommend Jason's England Bottom Deal 1on1. It explains many grips, including a mechanics grip bottom deal. I watched the video 2 weeks ago and I'm just starting to improve the rythm and speed of my bottom deal.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Well, I highly recommend Jason's England Bottom Deal 1on1. It explains many grips, including a mechanics grip bottom deal. I watched the video 2 weeks ago and I'm just starting to improve the rythm and speed of my bottom deal.

Yeah, it looks like he already has Foundations V1 which already includes it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results