Best Book to get for my skill level

Aug 7, 2013
Hi all,

I'm in a position at the moment, where i'm learning a few sleights and want to become an absolute master at them before moving onto anything other ones. I do however, want to start learning tricks now but need your help to ascertain what literature is going to be best for me to get. I want to start with beginners tricks right through to tricks which heavily incorporate what i have been learning (double turnover, top hand palm, bottom palm, diagonal palm shift, riffle pass, spread pass, riffle force, tilt, elmsley count). In regards to the latter, i appreciate that some tricks will use a different version of what i'm using but i'd happy to substitute it for what i'm learning.

Are there books out there which incorporate the whole spectrum of what i'm looking for? If so, what are they?

If not, what are the seperate books i would need to purchase from your experience that would help in my journey?

Regards

James.

Apr 17, 2013
If you do not already own Royal Road to Card Magic, that would be my first stop. If you are looking for a general all around magic book then I would look at Mark Wilson and the original Tarbell. Tarbell can be had as a PDF for under $30.

DABBLE

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
The complete Walton by Roy Walton. That should keep you busy for a year or two....LOL. All the best.

Jul 13, 2010
The Walton books ? Although they`re a terrific books and a must have in any card workers library, and although some tricks are semi-automatic with few sleights, it`s by no means a beginners book.

I would say the "best" (in my opinion) start, if you`re really serious because it`s an investment, is Card College.
Yes, I really think it`s "better" (deeper and more detailed) than RR (which is cheap and very good so get it as well) from how it is structured and explained. Roberto is one of the greatest teachers in magic and you can ask him questions about his books (I did and he`s very friendly and approachable).
For semi-automatic and self-working maybe even Card College extra light, light and lighter.
Another book which is focused on tricks rather than sleights, is Harry Lorayne`s Close-Up Card Magic. Overall very good tricks and most are easy to do.

And for general magic the mentioned Mark Wilson book, which is a must-have anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 13, 2013
Hampton Roads, VA
Card College and Royal Road are definitely must haves; if you're more of a visual learner (I am) Paul Wilson has a DVD set on Royal Road that is really fantastic! There's a ton of great material in there, and Wilson even talks about which tricks work and which don't, and why. If you don't want to pick up the DVDs, the book itself is must have for card magicians regardless.

Mar 9, 2014
Paul Wilson and RRTCM

I would also agree with Tokyo's comments. I am currently going through RRTCM and also the DVD with Paul Wilson. It's very very helpful and has greatly improved my handling of the cards. It's expensive, but you honestly get hours and hours of descriptions, performances, and tutorials.

Don't also forget Magic Theory. There's a free download book from Vanishing Inc called Magic in Mind and it's a great collection to help the process in thinking about magic.

I don't have Card College but from being in lots of forums threads etc., I would agree with others here that's it's universally praised for it's pacing, thoroughness, and great selection of effects to learn.

My only warning on that is that you only start with Book 1 and don't move on until you've really mastered those moves.

In card magic, it's so easy to get lost in the barrage of youtube videos, downloads, DVDs, and loads of amazing books. Stay focused on ONE card technique/effects book, and one theory book. It's super challenging but will really improve your efficiency in gaining card slights and performances.

All the best to you!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results