Best deck switch

Hey guys. I'm looking for a good, clean as possible deck switch, that I can do on the street. Justin Miller did an excellent deck switch in Army of 52... He didn't get to explain it, but I guess there was some sleeving involved.
So what, in your opinion, is the best deck switch you've come across?

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Or, do the same thing as Dima suggested, except doing a coin trick or whatever in between, say something along the lines of, "Actually, I'm feeling pretty good, so why don't I do one more for you guys?" That being said as you pull out the switched deck. Works like a charm.

Luke Brady

Elite Member
Like Dima said, put one deck away and take out another deck. Make sure they are of the same style (of course) and notice where it comes from. If you are wearing cargo shorts try and have the switch at roughly the same level it will go un-noticed. If you go into the right pocket and then down to the lower right pocket they might notice.
Another good tip (I learned from Sankey) put both hands in your pockets and take them out at the same time and speed. I do that all the time with a regular deck in my right pocket and when I come out the right hand is clean and the left hand has a radar deck, invisible, Breakthrough Card System, etc.
If you wear a suit or coat, outside to inside doesn't really make a difference, as stated above. Do another effect in between and you're golden. Remember, if you don't bring attention to it, they won't either.

Oct 6, 2007
I too would like to learn more about the psychology, theory and misdirection behind deck switches, and basically misdirection in general.

What if the trick reuires a deck switch in the middle of it?

Could this be accomplished by simply talking, while putting your hands in your pockets and coming out with a new deck?

Thanks

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Of course it could. Just casually put your hands in your pocket, talk for a minute, and take them back out, saying something like, "Now, back to the trick," and continue.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
I too would like to learn more about the psychology, theory and misdirection behind deck switches, and basically misdirection in general.

What if the trick reuires a deck switch in the middle of it?

Could this be accomplished by simply talking, while putting your hands in your pockets and coming out with a new deck?

Thanks
You mean like Blizzard?

Could always use a deck shell...

That's not what I meant

All of the things you've suggested are fine, but I'm looking for a visual deck switch, which means I can, for example, cover a red deck with my hand, and when I lift it, it will change into a blue deck.
That is, I do want people to notice I'm switching decks, or rather, changing the color of a deck, in a magical way...

Reactions: Gunner
May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
Just do any visual change then. An Erdnase or the one the Bucks use to vanish the 3rd queen. Or just a pass, this does require you to instill the colour of the deck throughout the trick in the audience's mind.

Check Richard Kaufman's Dream Deck Switch, in Apocalypse magazine book one.

I'll make sure its there. The plot is you explain to your spectators that your demonstrating deck switching, and you show a blue deck turn into red visually. The construction of the routine is what make it work. Richard Kaufman's CardMagic book contain a version as well.

Other than that, look into gambling material. Jeff Wessmiller's DVDs contain deck switches. At any case, in general, deck switches shouldn't be performed under fire.

Also, don't ask things like "whats the best *******", if you want quality answers, post quality questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 6, 2007
I have been looking for the same type of effect. Someone gave me a really really tiny deck, and I have been wondering how I could change a normal size deck into this one.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results