Book on Packet Tricks/ Gambling STYLE Routines

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
Hello There,

I am searching for a book where I can learn some magic effects. I really like packet tricks like "Reset" but I enjoy even more routines like 3 Card Monte, 2 Card Monte, Ace Assembly. I feel like this has the touch of a gambling style effect and not the really hard stuff like bottom dealing. I am searching for effects where I can use the type of gambling plot.
Cheers Philipp

Apr 17, 2013
The legendary Hierophant by Jon Racherbaumer has more than a few packet tricks, but honestly if you had trouble with the other books you picked up maybe you should start with Royal Road first.

Apr 17, 2013
Okay Fine, im telling you what one of the books were:
Anthology by Daniel Madison
Agreed, it might have been too hard but again. Thanks for the replies. I don't had trouble with the book, I simply didn't find ideas that attracted me really, apart from maybe 1 or 2.
Thanks for your tips, I will be looking them up. I just found http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/card-magic/pseudo-cheating-demos-and-effects/
what about that book?

Start with Royal Road, The Tarbell book and Mark Wilson. You will get there. It's not a race. You need to know the basics. Not what you learn from Youtube, but a solid basic. I shouldn't even tell you this but R Paul Wilson did Royal Road as a DVD but even in it he tells you to buy the book and follow along.

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
OK, First of all I apologize for being cocky. I guess, as you said, my ego might have surpassed my talent/abilities.
I will tell you my story, then you will understand:
So, I started learning magic from YouTube:
I learned RetroRepro, Double Lifts, Colour Changes, Classic Triumph, and some pen magic (flip stick).
I early realized that YouTube isn't that a great place to learn simply because there aren't that much good tricks out there on YouTube imo.
After 2 months I did Jazz Aces, Retro Repro, a Sandwich Routine and 1 Coin Routine and some rubber band stuff (CMHC). So I really like close-up magic but NOT ONLY card magic, thats way too boring. But we will come to that later. I discovered T11 and I was so wowed that I spend nearly 150$ on this page and in total 700$ in magic. It might have been not the best idea to buy all that stuff but now I know methods I won't use (heavily setup or just a Five Gum Pack where it takes 5 minutes to make one gimmick for one presentation.) I bought the metal trilogy but soon I realized that I am not already ready for that. Then I went to the magic circle and performed for the boss: he told me that what you are telling me. So then I started to really work and invent great presentation and plots people can relate to. I worked so long on an effect until I could present it.
After that I went to another magic circle where they told me that the boss of the other magic circle was a perfectionist and they asked themselves that he thinks to scare off young people. (After 1 month off practice I was able to do the backpalm quite properly.) The other magicians told me that they are surprised how far I am with my presentation style (plots,...) and the level and variety off my tricks. Of course they weren't all perfect but it was quite a good experience.
So now to the important part:
I make myself paragraphs:
I look into ring magic for a month and when I think I've seen enough (I just google: "important ring magic dvds" (only ring) and then there are 3 DVDs and 2 routines (Divorce and Reflex) I could found after long research.) I found then I move on to the next paragraph rubber band magic and then pen magic. (btw I really enjoyed ring magic). So I take out my favourite, always impromptu effects and I keeped practising. They weren't perfect but good enough to present them to sprectators. I wanted to eg. something about mentalism becuz I do a simple evivoque and a prediction effect, a book test and an ESP test. I present it in a proper way and everybody goes nuts. So my point is here: I search the best/most fitting effects for my style, doesn't matter if it use keys, cards, pens, rings or something else as long as I think the magic is entertaining. So far I have maybe 20 trick in my "working repertoire" (effects I consider as funy and so good that I present them to spectators. I maybe know 200 tricks but I simply don't like them.)
My last paragraph was the 3CM plot and I really put a lot of work into it (6 months is half of my magic "career" and for me a heck of a lot of time) and I really thought I invented something great to share with you. Now it isn't like that but I still learned much about the plot and I created my own routine (every phase of the 10 phases were "original" or I just invented them new) and I can profite from it. I never really saw a need to really go deep into card magic but that will be the thing I will do from now on.
But only because I am studying card magic, that won't keep me from learning other stuff too ;)
Cheers
Phil

Jun 2, 2013
I think that you should considering looking into Shawn Farquhar.

He is a great magician that specializes in stage and close up magic. His works mostly include DVDs with gimmicks, but he teaches you how to actually present, which I think is quite essential.

His tricks include many variants of classics, but the difference is that he makes everything gimmicked much easier to carry, to the point where the gimmick can be even considered as impromptu.

One of his best works in my opinion would be his Bread and Butter lecture (he also explain tricks, and a useful sleight that can be used in a formal performance).

I personally love his C2W (card to wallet effect). It is the one trick where I've spent more than 20$ for the gimmick and DVD (it's 100$!!!!!). However, this comes with a genuinely custom leather wallet, so that kind of makes the price balance out.

This wallet is to my knowledge the only one that can be used as a functional, sturdy quality, and reasonably large wallet that can also double as a close up gimmick: it allows a production of a small object, AFTER the wallet is shown EMPTY. There are many card to wallet effects, but this is the only one to my knowledge that can be so impromptu. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKp3qB30y6c

He has more awesome close up effects that can be found on penguin magic. I suggest you check out some of his materials for easy, functional, reliable, and extremely portable effects.

Jul 13, 2010
If you`re just doing this a few months, do what krab1 suggested. This is the probably the best you can do without a mentor.
DON`T fall into the trap many beginners do (me included but I learned) buying one trick DVDs, individual tricks or books that require intermediate skill. Nobody, absolutely nobody gets the basics (to a level you could describe as masterful) in a few months. Not even Jesus (he did his "water to wine" illusion after a few years of practice).
Nothing to be ashamed of. I´m always going back to the basics because there`s something to improve. Card College is one of the tomes I work with constantly. Magic is complex and often I feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of material there is to learn and improve.
As the great Tamariz said, "I`m still an apprentice of magic, even after 60 years".

Your attitude is right.
Have fun and don`t rush.

I early realized that YouTube isn't that a great place to learn simply because there aren't that much good tricks out there on YouTube imo.
Youtube isn`t a great place to learn because 99% of the youtube videos are made by kids with zero knowledge of the art.
Despite the fact that it is unethical to expose material of other magicians on youtube (you mentioned "Retro Repro" by Bebel. I´m sure he hasn`t allowed anyone to expose it on youtube ), most of them can`t even do what they want to teach. You will most likely learn it the wrong way.
Getting rid of these bad habbits is more work than learning it the right way from the start.
You have the right attitude. Avoid youtube videos for learning, except for some exceptions (Aaron Fisher`s magic minute e.g.).
The ones who can teach it are established magicians and are not interested in tutorials and exposing via youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 17, 2013
Go and find a mentor. Go to the IBM and SAM website to find the local meetings. Talk to the men and women at the meetings. Show a willingness to really slow down and learn and you will be shocked at the advice the older performers will give you.

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
Krab. Maybe you just mean it good with me but I find your recent 2 posts really counterproductive. I will go my way. I WON'T take a mentor, I exchange thought but I WON'T. And I don't care if it might be better. I learn magic because it makes fun and I learn what is fun to me, the basics, then the rest. I understood that. And you AREN'T ABLE to assess my performance and skill level. Maybe roughly but you actually have never seen me perform. Guess you understand my point now.

Apr 17, 2013
Krab. Maybe you just mean it good with me but I find your recent 2 posts really counterproductive. I will go my way. I WON'T take a mentor, I exchange thought but I WON'T. And I don't care if it might be better. I learn magic because it makes fun and I learn what is fun to me, the basics, then the rest. I understood that. And you AREN'T ABLE to assess my performance and skill level. Maybe roughly but you actually have never seen me perform. Guess you understand my point now.

Then I'm done trying to help you. I'm pretty sure the other working guys are done trying to help you. We are trying to set you on the right path but you are being a normal 16 year old with both fingers in your years jumping up and down saying "I KNOW IT ALL YOU STUPID ADULTS". Because of my mentor I got to meet Mac King, Paul Gertner, Dan Harlan, Jeff McBride Michael Ammar outside of lectures. I got to ask them questions outside of a lecture setting. I was able to go to conventions where at the time I was competing against Joshua Jay (we grew up in the same area). It takes years to get to the point of a working pro, not a year.

Jun 2, 2013
Well, you will indefinately get to a point where the basics become not branches to a path, but will converge to absolute requirements, and only then will you know if you truly have comprehensive understanding and execution of them. For example, I neglected the basic double undercut, thinking that there were so many better false cuts, but after 8 months or so I realized that the actual move is only the base, a springboard for many subtle executions...even if you choose to skimp at the moment, you will eventually be brought back to a point where you need to stare are your imcompetence in the face (if you want to proceed)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results