Buy 1 get 1 free at......Walgreens?

Oct 2, 2018
I read the other day about someone getting playing cards at Walgreens, so I stopped by one today and found these:
hqdefault.jpg

and these:
img_0785_1_.jpg

Buy 1 get 1 free with my Walgreens rewards card.
Awesome, I says. But wait, it gets better.

I stop by another Walgreens closer to my house, and get these:
s-l640.jpg

and these:

upload_2018-10-17_20-8-37.jpeg

Also B1G1F with my Walgreens rewards card.

All in all I spent about $18 and got 4 decks o' cards!

If you are interested in any of these decks, grab 'em quick!
I'm thinking about getting a few more decks not listed here. They also have the Bicycle Fire and the Ice decks, Studs, Black Tigers, and more.
Ya'll can thank me later.... : )

Reactions: Zeede

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
This is why I don't buy the idea that only Bicycle decks will seem "normal" to a lay audience.

I think that when someone defines normal they are looking for qualities of a deck that are not too ostentatious nor too bland(Maybe even irregular in shape). This is certainly a double-edge sword. I think that the word normal can be implemented with care when talking about cards as oppose to something like mental health. When we look at the above decks of cards, we see a lot of design that are NOT normal in comparison to a normal deck of Bicycles. That being said when performing tricks to lay audience about 50% of them will accuse you of using a "trick"deck even if you have a standard deck of Bicycles, just because they are either too lazy to imagine that someone would dedicate that much time to making the moves in the trick in question look fluid, or they just want to be stereotypical heckler. I think that a normal card trick is one where you find a spectators card after hopelessly losing it in the deck. I guess what I am trying to say is that some lay audience are normal and some aren't. Some will approach you with a attitude of let's see what you have for me, and others will disregard any trick you do, and keep going on with there ignorant mentality. So that being said, yes the cards above have border , yes they have an intricate back design....... But do they appear normal?? That is the question. The world may never know. :D

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I think you kind of went off in another direction there.

The argument I've been hearing for years now is that any deck that isn't a Bicycle Rider Back deck in blue or red will immediately arouse suspicion.

The idea being that Bicycle Rider Back is what everyone has in their drawer at home so that's what they think of when they see cards and if it doesn't match that idea it must be a trick deck.

This is obviously and clearly hogwash, but magicians who've bought into this idea won't let it go.

I've performed magic for about 10 years now. The first two and half of those years was exclusively card magic. In all this time I've been accused of using a trick deck once. And I was using a red Rider Back deck at that time. Since then I've used custom decks 100% of the time. Usually black designs, too, because the inverted colors stand out better in lower lighting.

People are just as likely to have a deck with Mickey Mouse as Rider Backs. As long as they can clearly see the values on the face of the card, that's all that matters. The rest is down to presentation.

So if a performer is having 50% of their audience try to tell them they're using a trick deck or calling them out on fishy moves - that's the performer's failure, not the deck they're using. That person needs to work on their presentation and sleight of hand, not place the blame externally on the cards or the audience. Real hecklers just aren't that common.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
I think you kind of went off in another direction there.

Not Really.

I've performed magic for about 10 years now. The first two and half of those years was exclusively card magic. In all this time I've been accused of using a trick deck once. And I was using a red Rider Back deck at that time. Since then I've used custom decks 100% of the time. Usually black designs, too, because the inverted colors stand out better in lower lighting.

Numbers Game.

So if a performer is having 50% of their audience try to tell them they're using a trick deck or calling them out on fishy moves - that's the performer's failure, not the deck they're using. That person needs to work on their presentation and sleight of hand, not place the blame externally on the cards or the audience. Real hecklers just aren't that common.

Says the guy who said my second deal was "Solid".

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
And I stand by that. I'm not trying to insult you, I'm speaking in general terms.

The moves are not the presentation. One of the frustrations with magic is that we spend all this time perfecting these skills that are designed to be unseen. On top of that, perfecting those physical skills is only the beginning. The sleight of hand is maybe 10% of performing. The rest is knowing how to create and deliver an engaging presentation that entertains an audience.

Even when doing gambling demonstrations, which are arguably just showing off moves by definition, the best ones have a fun and engaging story/presentation with them. Look at Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants - the gambling demonstration there is fun, charming, and engaging - and it's just showing off moves.

Do you think Ricky Jay has people accusing him of using a trick deck? He acknowledges the possibility of marked cards in his script, "I tell you these cards aren't marked. I don't know if you'll believe me, but they're not" - and that very admission makes it seem totally truthful. In that line he is also saying, "I know you know about some cheating techniques. I know you know I could lie to you. I know you're intelligent and I respect that, so I'll just be as honest as I can be and hope you believe me."

Yes he is one of the most skilled card men in the world. But his demonstration would be boring without his deadpan, dry humor to go with it.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results