Can't grip cards.

Jan 16, 2014
my fingers can't seem to get a grip on cards, when trying to run cards or retain the bottom card. are my hands to dry or something? this even happens with a broken in deck what should i do to fix this?

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Certainly try some lotion. I use Dove for hand soap and it seems to help. Also try different cards, they make a big difference. I find Aristocrats are good for running. New cards can be good for practicing running too.

Jan 16, 2014
My hands are very dry, but I can retain a bottom card. How much do you practice?
Everyday, but I feel like I'm spending a lot of time just trying to become efficient at the overhand. I'm going through the royal road, and I want to make sure I'm good at something before moving on.

Feb 3, 2016
my fingers can't seem to get a grip on cards, when trying to run cards or retain the bottom card. are my hands to dry or something? this even happens with a broken in deck what should i do to fix this?

What happens if you hold the deck with a lighter grip and having a couple of fingers on the centre of the bottom card?

GavHern

Elite Member
Nov 24, 2015
California, USA
gavhern.com
To retain a card just try pressing as hard as you can, if you are doing it in a overhand shuffle, then i would suggest pressing on the bottom and top card of the deck and shuffling forward from there

Mar 6, 2015

Try to smear a little bees wax on tip of your fingers.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
A light product is best as it won't come off on your cards as much and wreck them like a regular lotion would. I use SortKwik. It's designed for people who handle paper and don't want to we their fingers all the time. But there are a bunch of other products out there that will help.

Reactions: DominusDolorum
Feb 8, 2016
Lots of people have problems with gripping cards, and even experienced cardmen can lose their grip once in a while. So don't be too hard on yourself, card handling is something that has many aspects that take time to master.

If your hands are too dry, any moisturizer you like will do. Glycerin and rosewater is something that I've personally used and that I've heard a lot of the older magicians in Toronto recommend, and Dai Vernon, Ed Marlo, and Frank Garcia all famously used something called "Chamberlain's Golden Touch Lotion" which apparently is hard to find in stores but of course can be found online.

There are also little tricks to keeping your hands moist and ready for specific sleights. Off the top of my head, one that I use is to quickly run my thumb down the side of my nose as if to subtly scratch it, and I do this whenever I need friction on the thumb (for example in second deals).

One more thing: don't get too caught up in just trying to master the overhand shuffle. Learn it, practice it, but don't just focus on it because as you learn more things you'll end up practicing it along the way automatically. It's one of those moves you always kinda use and get better at.

Good luck and keep practicing!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results