Card controls

Feb 10, 2013
Hi, I was just interested in learning a new sleight to add to my arsenal. I was looking if anyone knew of a card control that controls the card to the top of the deck, or even a DVD or book that teaches these kinds of card controls. I'm not looking for just any card control however, because i already know the invisible pass which is great for just controlling a card to the top. The kind of thing im looking for is one that controls a single card to the top, without messing with the order of the rest of the deck, or primarily just leaving the top card or few the same. Preferably, i would like one that controls it all the way to the top, and not second from the top like the Marlo tilt does. I know of one, unfourtunatley I forget what it is called. It was pretty good for some situations but it is extremely angle sensitive. Angle sensitive from the back or from a little bit on a side or two doesn't bother me too much, but the one I know is very difficult to perform for people like my dad, who is much taller then me. He sees exactly what I'm doing, and to hide it I have to turn my wrists at an awkward angle. This is why I was interested in learning or hearing about any other possibilities for this kind of sleight. Thank you all, and I'm looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Jun 10, 2009
the "Be Kind Change by Tony Chang" is a very nice sleight and looks invisible if done right. Theory11 sells the trick so you're in luck! :)

Mar 31, 2008
Missouri.
The Cascade Control is a beautiful card control which controls a card to the top without disrupting the oder of the deck. It's also a nice flourish. Takes a ton of practice, but well worth it.

Sep 2, 2007
London
There are two general approaches to this problem.

Approach 1: You create the illusion of inserting the card into the deck, while actually retaining it on top. Techniques that can help you achieve this include the double lift, the second deal, the bluff pass and the top change.

Approach 2: You genuinely insert the card into the deck, and then move it to the top. Techniques that can help you achieve this (without changing the order of the other cards) include the side steal, the diagonal palm-shift, the spread cull or the single-card straddle pass.

I hope that helps.

Aug 25, 2012
I do a variation with the diagonal palm shift and i come up like misdirection as I would for a pass, it's very knacky but it's never been caught.

Nov 3, 2012
One great control that gives you the opportunity to choose where to control the card, either second or to the top of deck, is Victoria by Zach Mueller. A fenomenal control. But of course, the bluff pass is also a move worth thinking about.

Jan 30, 2013
Not sure if this is quite what you want, but a Crimped Card Control lets you do whatever you want with a card. It is very versatile and kinda like a poor-man's stripper deck. The advantage is that it is easy to do and the cards themselves cover the move while you're showing your tall dad that the cards are all different. The only problem is if you have set up the deck to have certain cards up the top that you need to stay on top. The crimping control will still help you, but you'll need another technique to get it up convincingly without a funny move.

The bluff pass is OK, but it leaves you with the card 2nd from the top. You could do a double lift or (more elegantly) could do a Colour Change - with the faces down of course (available for free download here on T11 if you don't know it already) to get it to the top and restore the original order. Thing about the bluff is that it works quite well when the audience is taller than you (or you're sitting and they're standing).

I also second he suggestions for the cascade control is also good for the tall audience and will not change the deck order at all. Its also not that hard to do if you practise.

Jan 1, 2013
I often use a centre double to have a card selected then lost. One could also have a card selected in the standard way with a double-backer on top then double lift and bury the double-backer in the deck.

Oct 5, 2012
The Erdnase Diagonal Palm Shift is a tough move but accomplishes what you want. The shinobi control does as well, but the card needs to be selected randomly from the top half of the deck for the method to be at its most effective. A great resource for this sort of research is Denis Behr's archive.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results