Card Trick Concept

Nov 27, 2009
I have a method to do a rubber band through card. The idea is that someone selects a card and all the fun that goes along with that. Then the magician pulls out a rubber band and loops it on his finger like he's going to shoot it. The deck is thrown/sprung into the air, the band is "shot" and when the deck falls, there's a rubber band stuck through the selected card. Would there be anyone interest in this? Has this been done?

I will not be posting a performance video because the method would be obvious to those who are "in the know." I will add that this could be done with a signed card. I don't have all the wrinkles worked out for this yet, but if there is interest indicated, I'll get to work on it and have it submitted sometime probably before the end of July, I can't make any promises about that though. This gives me time to work out all the little kinks and do some audience testing.

I've been toying with this idea for a while now, but I've never really had a reason to work on it beyond figuring out the basic method. If you like the idea, I'll work on it more.

Price range for the effect would be between $2 and $4 (US dollars). The effect requires a simple gimmick that can be made in a few seconds once you're familiar with the process, and it could potentially cost less than $5 to make 50 gimmicks. You could easily carry 5 or 10 of gimmicks in your pocket and still have room for a set of sponge balls. The video would be filmed in 720p HD. Difficulty level is about 3-4 out of 5. Angles are a minor issue, but the trick isn't exactly "close-up friendly" so angles aren't as much of a problem. (Who's going to toss a deck into the air and let it hit the floor in a mess at a restaurant? or on the street?)

5 or 10 replies would be sufficient interest for me to work on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 2, 2011
Californiaaa
That sounds amazing, except for the fact that a game of 52 pickup would commence, and in a public performance, that may be inconvenient...

Nov 27, 2009
That is the issue that has prevented me from working on the effect more than I have. I kinda saw this trick as a closer for a parlor/cabaret act, and I haven't done that type of work in more than a year now so I've not had the opportunity to try it.

May 21, 2011
Bedford, England
This is a very interesting and original idea and i like the sound of the practicality. However, i don't like the idea of tossing the cards up in the air and picking the cards up after each performance. Can you answer goatears question because i would like to know if you can do this. Or do something similar such as dribling the cards in someone's hands? Sounds good and would like to see it but just want to know whether or not you have to play the classic game 'Fifty Two Card Pickup' ;)

Keep working on it!

Nov 27, 2009
I haven't thought about using a table, though I'm sure it's possible without too much work. With the current method dribbling the cards in a spectators is probably impossible due to the way the gimmick is constructed. I'll bet there's a way to work around that issue. I like the ideas I'm getting here. Thanks, I'll see what I can do with it. Probably won't make much progress till Christmas due to school.

What makes this any different from a manipulation act? Look at most card manipulation acts. They are playing at least 52 card pick up at the end of their acts. Granted, this is easily avoided if you think creatively, but still.

Dec 12, 2010
I'd be quite interested, though I don't have any %&*@ cards to tear. Could probably get some streamlines from walmart... Anyway, what if you reused a card. You could put the rubber band hole in it and keep using the same one. Would it be possible to maybe spring or dribble the cards in YOUR hands, and have them shoot the rubber band? These are just some ideas.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results