Closeup Closer

Jun 2, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Hey guys, so in a closeup contest Im competing in I would like your advice on a closer. In the effect before, a deck of cards is completely mutilated except for the selection. Now would you find it redundant to pull out another new deck to perform the closer?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Just throwing out an idea / concept here but maybe you could have pieces and parts of all the mutilated cards placed in a spectators hand, he tosses them in the air, they hit the table or ground and only the pieces that land face up...just happen to piece together the same card as the selection. All other pieces fall face down.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Agreed 100% with Prae. If you're destroying or transforming a deck of cards, that's the end of your card tricks. Unless you can find a good reason to put the cards back together. I ran into this when trying to routine my street stuff. I have an ACR that ends with the deck turning into either a solid block of bullet proof glass, or a pile of steel plates. After that, there's no graceful way to bring the normal deck back into play (that I've found. I'm actually working on transforming them back but it's proving difficult).

The idea reverhart had is pretty good, having their card restore itself while the rest of the deck stays destroyed. But honestly, I'd probably just make the destroying routine your closer.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Hey guys, so in a closeup contest Im competing in I would like your advice on a closer. In the effect before, a deck of cards is completely mutilated except for the selection. Now would you find it redundant to pull out another new deck to perform the closer?

I would find it completely redundant to have to do this at each gig. There is no point for you to completely destroy a single deck of cards just for one effect.

I have a better idea. You could simply end with Card to Wallet to Envelope and use the plot and methods taught in card college. Very easy effect and it SHOULD work great as a closer for a close up show.

Aug 27, 2008
Tijuana bC
I would find it completely redundant to have to do this at each gig. There is no point for you to completely destroy a single deck of cards just for one effect.

I have a better idea. You could simply end with Card to Wallet to Envelope and use the plot and methods taught in card college. Very easy effect and it SHOULD work great as a closer for a close up show.

he is not in a gig.... he is in a contest... I believe this trick can be pulled of but just a tip, use the mutilated deck trick at the end.

Jun 2, 2008
Dallas, Texas
he is not in a gig.... he is in a contest... I believe this trick can be pulled of but just a tip, use the mutilated deck trick at the end.

Yeah this is a closeup contest. Thanks guys for the input. Ive finally settled on a routine with the torn deck effect as the closer. Who knew it would so difficult to create an original performance! Wish me luck in the contest!

Innocent plug but "The Pandora System" performed and tested as my closer for over five years if you can't destroy minds minds with it then your just not doing it right.

"I kinda felt like a infomercial just now":p

Shane

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC

Makes me want to destroy a deck of cards at the end of my shows...I'm going to use a new one for the next show anyway and destroying a deck would make throwing it away an easier decision.

If you're getting paid for your gig you can even include $3 for the price of a new deck. Though, nit picking over $3 wouldn't help your professional appearance.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Make it $110 and voila. Or put a section that says something like, "$10 for consumable items."

But again, there's no need to explain where your fee is going and I'm not sure anyone would ask unless they were trying to haggle you.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Make it $110 and voila. Or put a section that says something like, "$10 for consumable items."

But again, there's no need to explain where your fee is going and I'm not sure anyone would ask unless they were trying to haggle you.

Very true, I would never worry about adding money for a torn deck, as it should be in your mind when you set your fees (props, loss of props, travel expenses...etc) and if anyone asks you can say there is a fee for cleaning up your own cards after you ruin the deck in a game of 51 (torn) card pickup...that number could get ugly.

:)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results