David Blaine Reactions - Good or Bad?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
So I've been performing and tweaking an effect I created (as far as my research has shown me). The reactions I have been getting are great! It wasn't my original intention, but the reactions I get are very similar to ones you get in some of DB's specials (staring at me, then the cards, then at me, then the cards, trying to figure out what to say, or even leaving the place for a few min and coming back, yelling and cursing and laughing, not understanding what has just happened, etc.) and they are on the same level more or less. However, I always hear people criticize DB's tricks for getting those reactions (and for other reasons), so is it somehow a bad thing?

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
It depends on the people in my opinion. There are... believe it or not... videos on YouTube with the title.."Black people reacting to magic" smh....
I know myself I've faked a reaction towards a trick that I already knew and saw the moves... yes I faked it lol
I just didn't want to be the one guy.. "haha I know how you did That!!"
My wife is brutal for reactions. She Hates being tricked or fooled. She Has to know the secret. Her expression is stone. Her responses are even worse.. "ummm.. ok"
So in all... It depends on the people.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
It depends on the people in my opinion. There are... believe it or not... videos on YouTube with the title.."Black people reacting to magic" smh....
I know myself I've faked a reaction towards a trick that I already knew and saw the moves... yes I faked it lol
I just didn't want to be the one guy.. "haha I know how you did That!!"
My wife is brutal for reactions. She Hates being tricked or fooled. She Has to know the secret. Her expression is stone. Her responses are even worse.. "ummm.. ok"
So in all... It depends on the people.
I'm like 99% sure these reactions weren't faked lol
That's the thing - this has floored both great spectators and people who just grill my hands and try and avoid my patter to figure out what's going on :D almost everyone gave me a ! reaction. Only person who didn't was my mom, who hates getting fooled (or my magic lol, I can't tell), and even she was stunned (I could tell by her facial expression, and the fact that she was speechless for a good 5 sec :D)

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Oh and also - I wasn't aiming for this effect to be super powerful. I was looking at it as more of an opener or a way to move into another trick. However, I need to now figure out the best place to put the effect because if it is right at the beginning, everything else will just look meh.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
People (as in magicians in communities) keep telling me that its not a good thing. I don't understand why.
Honestly dude... we'd all need a video of the effect and reactions. Anyone can say anything on a message board or chatroom.. If you can perform it in front of people record it... otherwise... what is the point of the question?

Aug 16, 2011
People (as in magicians in communities) keep telling me that its not a good thing. I don't understand why.
Who cares what other magicians or people in general think? You aren't hurting anyone or doing anything bad and you can't control other people or how they react. You know they aren't faking their reactions, they aren't on camera, they're not on television. I think the magicians meant that David Blaine went around to several dozen or more people and only used the most exaggerated or craziest reactions for tv. I'm sure he performed for a bunch of people who just said "cool trick" or just didn't react crazily or over the top, but those reactions don't sell for tv. Just keep on doing you and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Honestly dude... we'd all need a video of the effect and reactions. Anyone can say anything on a message board or chatroom.. If you can perform it in front of people record it... otherwise... what is the point of the question?
Its not really about the effect, I'm talking more so on a general standpoint. Should I tone down the effect if I'm getting those reactions?

I think I'll take @ifanoctopuscouldpalm 's advice and just carry on doing whaat I'm doing

Thanks guys!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Here's a weird thing about magicians: They're scared of magic.

If the reactions you are getting are the reactions you want to get, don't worry about what other people think.

The only thing I would worry about, is if it's an opener and your closer isn't getting at least similar reactions, you should move it around. You don't want the energy of the performance to peak at the beginning and then dwindle, because they'll remember more what they walk away feeling than what they felt at the beginning.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Oh David you have no idea how much I appreciate your "immitate DB's monosyllabiac presentation" statement. Ha. That was good stuff right there.
As to the original poster's question and or comment...how you present your magic and the reciprocated reactions will evolve over time as your patter and interactions become better and better. Yes, there are some spectators/crowds that react exactly how the TV specials show and then you'll have other days where you get just a so-so or "that was neat" type of reaction. See what works for you to get the most out of your magic. Remember, a lot of times the most powerful magic is when you allow the spectator to do the magic or allow it to happen in their hands.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
[QUOTE="RealityOne, post: 463897, member: 13965"I do have an issue with magicians who immitate David Blaine's monosyllabiac presentation"[/QUOTE]
Yeah. The performer just ends up looking like he just does not give a crap anymore. Blaine is probably only guy who can actually pull it off too. No one else has the cred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results