Debate between Toibox and Mint Box

Oct 10, 2022
Hi all. I was doing research on Mint Box By Danny Garcia, and the reviews on it are not convincing as they state, “ the gimmick is delicate”. I was wondering if I should spend the 30-40 bucks on the gimmick or just use pure sleight of hand with Toibox, a gimmick less version of Mint Box. Please let me know you honest thoughts. Thanks

Dec 5, 2015
Here are my thoughts:

Daniel Garcia's Mint Box
I bought Mint Box from Daniel at a lecture he gave at my local club. I first need to mention is that the illusion is very visual and there are many application for the Mint Box Gimmick if you source the right materials; however, knowing myself for performing in a somewhat care free/bar magic type of attitude when performing I felt very uncomfortable handling it. One component of the gimmick can be easily damaged if handled incorrectly and can possibly ruin the gimmick. What is taught in the video is shown in the trailer, a card to box routine and a card to mints effect. The slight of hand required is a card force and the handling of the gimmick(locking and unlocking).

Jonathan Kamm's Toibox

I bought this from penguin before I obtained Mint Box and I personally prefer this over Mint Box. There are no gimmicks required but a mini Altoids box, a folded card, and some slight of hand. The slight of hand is really simple it's like a shuttle pass but slight different handling. There is a wide variety of material covered in the download from loading different items into the box while displaying it, switching boxes, how to switch the card, and how to apply the ToiBox concepts into different branches of magic. I find ToiBox less restrictive than Mint Box and with ToiBox you can be a bit more carefree.

Afterthoughts
Both of these products basically do the same thing, it's a card to mint box; however, the final verdict comes down to if you want something visual or not. Mint Box has a visual element to it and is great for social media videos. ToiBox is less visual but you get a bit more in what you can do with it. Some people I have met have combined both effects together, using the final load concepts from ToiBox as a follow up for Mint Box. If you are a magician who performs in environments where people might grab the props, go with ToiBox. If you perform in an environment where you have somewhat more command/control over your audience use Mint Box.

Hope this helps.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results