Double Charlier - Too small hands?

Apr 12, 2008
Aight, so i finally got my Xtreme Beginnerz DVD, naturally i started from the start ofc, but something struck me when i was about to attempt the double charlier, my hands are just too small o_O

Anyone know how to overcome this obstacle?

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
I thought I had this problem too, I found a tip on the E-Forums that REALLY helped and now I can do it consistently.

I can't remember exactly what it was and it's hard to describe but essentially it's this:

When you drop the bottom packet, push up on the lower half of the card near the corner. i.e. the half that's closest to the palm of your hand. The closer you can get your index finger to your palm to push the packet up, the bigger clearance you're going to get. After that, you should be able to follow the instructions as are on the DVD.

If I were to do it in step format it would be this:

1) Break deck into two.
2) Let bottom packet fall as close to the base of the fingers as possible. (your hands may need to stretch out a bit until the edge gets there, but with time it'll do it automatically)
3) Push up bottom packet with index finger as close to the bottom side (palm side) as you can.
4) Bend your thumb to break another packet from the top.
5) Continue as instructed on the DVD.

I used to not be able to do this at all, and now I do it all the time without thinking. Just keep trying at it and see if anymore tips come in. :)

- Sean

Apr 12, 2008
Btw, one more thing that I want to know, with regards to the standard charlier, when performing it multiple times, how do you get the deck up to your fingertips?

Apr 15, 2008
I have the same problem as Shawty. As far as i can see, as long as my thumb stays shorter than the width of a card (which it is), I'll never be able to do a double charlier. Is this right ?

Apr 12, 2008
I have the same problem as Shawty. As far as i can see, as long as my thumb stays shorter than the width of a card (which it is), I'll never be able to do a double charlier. Is this right ?

I don't think so, I saw a girl (they normally have tiny hands eh) do it on youtube saying that despite her small hands she managed

Sep 3, 2007
Here's a tip, if it's not already mentioned.

Give the deck a downwards bow lengthwise. This will make the width of the deck slightly shorter and will make thumb cuts, double charlier cuts, L cuts much easier. Once you're good at those cuts, you'll realize you don't need that bow anymore. But it's a great way to start.

One last tip, I just can't stress this enough.
PRACTICE. PRACTICE. PRACTICE.

-Daren, The Virts

Sep 1, 2007
yeah, bowing the deck is the tip that helped me, although that can make one hand weaves tricky depending on the direction of faro a deck has... my recommendation to you is to get some bridge sized cards or just take your deck over to a papercutter or scissors if you have one and cut a couple cm off the sides until it's easy for you.

ive tried eveyrhting but my thumb cannot clip a packet, i even tried bridge sized cards no help, i still need like another centimeter or 2 to reach it and i stretch as far as possible, the deck as far on my finger tips as possible, i do the charlier my thumb still cant reach the packet and this is with bridge sized cards btw, i can do charliers fine but my thumb cant clip a packet, any more tips, my hands are very small, i dont have a ruler to measure my thumb but take out 1 normal bicycle playing card, my thumb is stretched as far as possible exactly in the middle an it reaches that heart like shaped, thats it, thats as far as ican go without bending it, help...

Apr 12, 2008
Here's a tip, if it's not already mentioned.

Give the deck a downwards bow lengthwise. This will make the width of the deck slightly shorter and will make thumb cuts, double charlier cuts, L cuts much easier. Once you're good at those cuts, you'll realize you don't need that bow anymore. But it's a great way to start.

One last tip, I just can't stress this enough.
PRACTICE. PRACTICE. PRACTICE.

-Daren, The Virts

TRIPPLE CHARLIER, YAAY :p

Thanks man, this did the trick for me, right away.

To the other two guys who's also been having trouble with the double charlier, try this. Did the trick for me

Apr 12, 2008
Hm, I can only seem to get it when the first packet broken off is a really small one, is this normal? o_O

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results