Editing Software on New Mac (Lion)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Hey fellas, I know this isn't magic related but I know a lot of you out there are making videos.

I am shooting HD 1080p footage on my Canon T3i. iMovie is adequate for me right now. Uploading videos is awesome for streaming video sites and such. Here is my problem. I just purchased a new MacBook Pro that runs Lion. I had a project for work that needed to be burnt to a DVD. Apparently iDVD is no longer on the newest Macs and nor is it going to be.

Besides DVD creator and Roxio Toast, is there any other good DVD authoring software for Macintosh computers running the newest OS Lion?

Any information would be appreciated.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Hey Rick,

I think Roxio Toast would be your best bet for basic DVD authoring. A step above that would be DVD Studio Pro (what we use) or Adobe Encore (CS5).

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Thanks JB.
Roxio Toast apparently has an issue with Lion on some compatibility from what I've gathered thus far. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see.

I will look into the others. Not sure if they run on Lion 10.7.3

I'm waiting to hear back from Michael and Andrei just sent me some info too. Hopefully I'll make a wise decision and be happy at the end.

Does anyone know if DVD studio Pro or Encore will accept files from iMovie or do I need to just ditch iMovie and move on to something more compatible / advanced? I want to create/render/author DVDs without a ton of converting.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Well...I just found out that even Adobe Encore has compatibility issues with OS Lion as well. That stinks, someone better get some new Mac software for DVD authoring that works with Apples new operating system.

Doesn't look good for DVD studio pro either. Many comments in the apple forums say it is crashing and not working. Man....I guess I sit and wait.

JB, is anyone on your crew using the newest 10.7.3 OS or are the macs a bit behind that? Just curious.

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
For files, you could probably just export the video from iMovie (using QuickTime not the simple export), import into either software and author like that. As for Encore, download the 30 day trial to see if you like it and see if it works or not.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'll have to try the Encore trial to see if there are any bugs. Thanks. Even doing what you said, exporting as a quicktime, and importing then, I don't think that solves the compatibility issue of the authoring software out there running correctly with Lion. We will see...I'll try tonight and let people know.

I called Roxio last night and spoke to their tech support, Toast is NOT completely compatible yet to burn DVD on Lion.

iDVD CAN be put on a Lion laptop but only exports in 480 p which is horrible by today's standards especially if shooting footage in 1080p.

DVD Studio Pro is currently having issues with Lion as well. Ugh..

Apple customer support says that Apple is no longer going to be putting out software to burn because DVDs will be obsolete soon. I realize that, however, when you go to a magic convention and need to sell product, people want a tangible item in return for their money.

More and more mac users are going to run into this issue as they upgrade to Lion. Hopefully all of third party software developers will make the adjustments within the next 6 months. Lion is 64 bit.

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
Exporting with quicktime will solve the problem of any DVD authorizing software to accept iMovie files like you asked. Since iMovie files are saved in the program you would have to export them. Maybe wait for Encore CS6 to come out since it would most likely be compatible since Lion is almost a year old. You'll be able to get Encore CS6 in a few months I think

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
That is what I'm thinking too. I will just hold off until CS6 and should be good to go hopefully.

Gareth...I think I am confusing you, me or both of us....ha ha. It is not a problem of DVD authoring programs accepting iMovie files. It is a problem that Toast, DVD Studio Pro, etc. cannot function correctly on the new operating software Lion. Some of the components of the programs cause crashing or won't even function at all.

I did find one generic $50.00 program called DVD creator that now runs on Lion, but it doesn't do near what I would want to do. Really cheesy templates and such for authoring.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results