Effects for a show... Suggestions?

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
I work for the Atlanta Shakespeare Company and we are going to be performing A Midsummer Night's Dream starting April 8th. I'm playing Puck and the director knows that I also do magic and wants to work some elements of that into the play.
Here's the deal... I need some highly visual effects that I can work into the show. I want to use effects that incorperate fire (flash paper effects), vanishes, productions, levetations (either self or objects)... things of that nature. Here is the catch. My costume consists of a pair of dark green fur pants. That's it. I will be shirtless and therefore will not have sleeves to hide any gimicks. I might be able to put some pockets inside the pants if necessary. I will also be barefoot.

If you know of any tricks that would work for this show please let me know. Remember they must be easily concealable, require little preperation, and can't be too angle sensitive. Money is not too much of an object as the theatre will pay for supplies. I'm thinking about looking into some of the effects on LOOPS but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

p.s. If you're in the area and want to come and see a really good show go to www.shakespearetavern.com for tickets or PM me and i might be able to get you in for free if we're not sold out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
You could always try to do some loop work although you may need to be carefull with the glare from the stage lights.

I also work with the lighting designer and am pretty sure that the lights are far enough away and with the focus they have they shouldn't be a factor. Plus some scenes are dark so that should make it easier. Do you have any favorite effects or know of good material that I could learn from?

Oct 28, 2007
try doing like an appearing candle or staff thingy that is pretty visual and perfect for stage.

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I know I'm going to use loops for one effect and I'm coming up with more. I also know that I'm gonna use flash paper as well. If you still have any ideas send them my way. Especially for flash products. I don't mind adding things in the middle of the run. Thanks again!

Cheers!

I have not personally read Midsummer's night dream can you tell us a little more info on your character and how many scenes and your role you play. These things should have been the first thing discussed here.

Shane

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
I'm playing the role of Puck. He's a mischeivious servent to the Fairy King Oberon. I'm not going to summerize the whole thing that's what sparknotes.com is for. Or you could read it yourself seeing as how it is a good play. Like your signature says "rent a book for free and use the head god gave you to read". One thing specific i will tell you is that my character gets and uses a purple flower to make a couple fall in love. I have a few ideas for producing the flower and levetating it however any other ideas as to how i can "spice it up" a bit are welcome. Puck also has some text about fire several times in the play therefore i'm looking for easily hidden flash effects (i will not have sleaves or a shirt at all for that matter to help).
Cheers!

Dec 13, 2007
wow... i always wanted to play puck in that play (my dad is fairly involved with shakespeare), the movies i had to watch as a kid were much a do about nothing, romeo and juliet, and midsummer nights dream... well now onto the magic... puck i remember uses the juice (or something) from a flower to make the people fall in love at first sight.. well maybe you could produce a flower and then perhaps make it levitate a little. And i really love the other persons idea to disguise flash paper as a leaf.

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
You read my mind youngd94. I'm going to use Fireball by Chris Smith to produce the flower from a... well a fireball, then levetate it with a loop.
Cheers!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results