Eliminating Finger Flashing While Bottom Dealing

Apr 3, 2019
I'm currently using a strike deal from a modified Mechanic's grip, which might be the Turner grip. I don't have any instructional material other than RCT. I do the take between the middle and ring finger, such that the middle finger doesn't have to move out of the way. For the last few days, I seemed to make no progress, as my deal had become smooth, but, from an angle directly in front, at the level of the deck, there seemed to be only a few positions where the deal was invisible. Soon, I found that the problem no longer persisted when I used half the deck, it was, more or less, invisible from all angles.
However, after fooling around on the internet, and rewatching clips of bottom deals that had previously amazed me, I found the same problem. Be it Jason England, Forte, Turner, everyone had a slight movement from the angles I just mentioned. Looks like even Marlo himself had a slight but still visible flash, when using the full deck.
Is it possible to COMPLETELY eliminate finger flash? The way I see it, the fingers have to move out of the way to let the card out. Is it possible to have a truly perfect bottom deal, invisible from all angles?

Sep 10, 2017
With the technique you’re using (master grip), you would have to move your fingers. But if you try to apply the techniques of the Gene Maze book to a classic mechanic’s grip (with the index holding the deck in the middle, and not on the top right corner), you can more or less straighten the other fingers almost completely and just remove the bottom card without too much change in your grip.
I’m not the best at it and I still have a bit of finger movement going on, but this video of my deal is more or less what I was referring to :
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1gseIjntkX/?igshid=1ltvea4gkldsu

I have some extra tips as well that might help, but I guess going to deal on them here would be considered exposure. DM me if you’re interested.

Reactions: Mitra#008
Nov 3, 2018
I'm currently using a strike deal from a modified Mechanic's grip, which might be the Turner grip. I don't have any instructional material other than RCT. I do the take between the middle and ring finger, such that the middle finger doesn't have to move out of the way. For the last few days, I seemed to make no progress, as my deal had become smooth, but, from an angle directly in front, at the level of the deck, there seemed to be only a few positions where the deal was invisible. Soon, I found that the problem no longer persisted when I used half the deck, it was, more or less, invisible from all angles.
However, after fooling around on the internet, and rewatching clips of bottom deals that had previously amazed me, I found the same problem. Be it Jason England, Forte, Turner, everyone had a slight movement from the angles I just mentioned. Looks like even Marlo himself had a slight but still visible flash, when using the full deck.
Is it possible to COMPLETELY eliminate finger flash? The way I see it, the fingers have to move out of the way to let the card out. Is it possible to have a truly perfect bottom deal, invisible from all angles?
As somebody on the Magic Café put it:

Three steps to the perfect bottom deal:
1. Take the deck face-down in dealing position into your dealing hand
2. Turn it face-up
3. Start dealing

All joking aside, I think what you are looking for is quite impossible. It is impossible for the bottom card to magically penetrate you fingers, so the fingers have to move out of the way. Mr_Arpy's advice is good, but this way of holding the deck sadly presents other problems (though you should experiment with it). One piece of advice I've found, which is very similar to what Mr_Arpy said: Hold the deck as though you were holding half the deck.

Lastly: "... from an angle directly in front, at the level of the deck, there seemed to be only a few positions where the deal was invisible."
I don't know who you perform for, but in my experience it's at most one in ten spectators who lie their head flat on the table to watch my dealing ;-)
I understand your perfectionism, of course. But from a pragmatic point of view, you needn't worry about that. However, there are some ways around giving anybody that view, for example tilting the deck a bit to the front, but again: You needn't worry too much about that angle, in my opinion. If the deal is invisible (though I would be careful with that word) from all other angles, that's pretty darn good already.

I have some extra tips as well that might help, but I guess going to deal on them here would be considered exposure. DM me if you’re interested.
I'm interested! :)

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Apr 3, 2019
If the deal is invisible (though I would be careful with that word) from all other angles, that's pretty darn good already.
Gues I meant deceptive... Just made a fool of myself. The rocking motion does hide the flash though.
This is what I mean. Mine is nearly not this good though.
And this is the flash, from the same person.
Mr Arpy gave me some great ideas that seem very much worth working on. If you want, you should dm him too, as they're more or less exposure if talked about publicly.

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Nov 3, 2018
Gues I meant deceptive... Just made a fool of myself.
No worries, I was a bit too pedantic. Should have known what you meant :)

Mr Arpy gave me some great ideas that seem very much worth working on. If you want, you should dm him too, as they're more or less exposure if talked about publicly.
Already done so.

As for your problem: Keep practicing and adjusting to your personal needs. I've read a great many posts by the person performing the bottom (by the way, quite an amazing bottom deal) in the videos, and I'm fairly sure he would say something quite similar :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results