Ellusionist June Mystery deck is freaking amazing card stock

Feb 24, 2021
I got several of the Ellusionist June Mystery decks after seeing people posting pictures on Reddit. My original reason for liking them was the graphics.

As soon as I felt the cards it was instantly my new favorite deck. The feel of the cards is incredible. It is supposed to be Cartamundi E7 stock. I have some Kittens deck that are supposed to be the same stock, but these new decks feel way different.

The main decks i use to practice are Penguin crushed stock rider back Bicycle decks. To me the Kittens decks feel pretty much exactly the same as these.

Penguin has a new one that is extra crushed stock rider backs. Even more "crushed" than regular crushed. I compared them side by side to one of these decks. The new Ellusionist deck is at least as thin, but much more textured and silky feeling.

The extra texture in the cards makes them lay flatter. They are amazing cards. Incredibly easy to fan.

They only other cards I own that feel like these are a six card gaff set from 1914 that were made by Cartamundi. These gaff cards were made specifically to be folded up and be super thin and super flat while folded.

Jun 3, 2020
Are the Kittens the Harapon Ong design? I saw him posting something about that a few weeks back.

Feb 24, 2021
Are the Kittens the Harapon Ong design? I saw him posting something about that a few weeks back.

I Googled Harapon Ong and I do not recognize that guy. I don't know anything about him. Kittens was a deck that Daniel Madison was involved in making when he worked for Ellusionist.

I have two of the newer Blue decks. The original was a Pink deck that was discretely marked and came with cool gaff cards. The follow up Blue deck was botched. The marking system was screwed up so 25% of the cards have the wrong mark, and an included gaff card for Madison's "Angle Z" routine was botched and made unusable. I'm also told the pink deck has a card where the back is discreetly altered to use with the "Cat's Paw" finger puppet toy, but that was not used in the blue version.

The whole concept of Kittens deck is that it looks like something an old lady would have and the spectator is supposed to be extra shocked if you do a great trick because they will think you are a joke using such goofy cards.

Reactions: Dustrod
Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
Go to any online playing card retailer and search for "Slimline" (see these examples), and you'll find plenty of decks that use exactly the same stock as Ellusionist's June deck.

It's printed by Cartamundi, and although Ellusionist calls it their E7 stock, the usual name for it used by Cartamundi and most playing card creators is Slimline.

Feb 24, 2021
I see now that Ellusionist is billing the E7 stock as only two years old.

I hope they made some new gaff decks in E7 like their old Army of 52. The red cohorts gaff deck seems like Instagram Magic that is not going to be practical to perform close up in front of a real person. I watched some of the videos for it on Magic Stream.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results