Expanded Shell Guide

Sep 7, 2008
Here are some basic tips on how to keep your Expanded Shell in its best condition:

1. When not using the Expanded Shell, always keep it over a regular coin. This will ensure the Expanded Shell does not lose it's shape.
2. If a coin gets stuck in the Expanded Shell, DO NOT shake it inside a glass. That will only damage the coin more. Buy a Bang Ring and use that to take the coin out.
3. Try not to drop the coin, that will damage the Expanded Shell .
4. If the Expanded Shell has a small dent in it, use a wooden dowell to re-round the edge of the Expanded Shell. You can also put a coin inside the Expanded Shell, and roll it on a hard surface. Then use a Bang Ring to get the coin out of the Expanded Shell.
5. To further expand your Expanded Shell, put a dollar bill over the mouth side of the Expanded Shell. Then push an English Penny inside the Expanded Shell. Pull out the English Penny using the dollar bill or use a Bang Ring.

In my experience, this is what I have found:

Todd Lassen > Schoolcraft > Johnson Magic > Tango Magic > Sasco

Those are the main coin gaffers, but there are many other custom guys.

Learning Material:
~World's Greatest Magic
~Shellraiser
~CoinOne
~CoinTwo
~Total Destruction DVD Set

AND MUCH, MUCH MORE

Nov 18, 2008
CA
nice guide. should be helpful for anyone in need of coin gaffs or who needs help with shell info. there's some pretty helpful stuff on here.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
a great thread. will help a lot of people, the one thing i would say is although i have heard the Lassen's sets are the best, his customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I tried ordering from him and he didn't get back to me for almost 2 months and then informed me that it would be another 6-8 to make my set. For the price he was asking i was unwilling to wait that long. While i do intend pick up a set of his eventually my schoolcraft set that i have now is absolutely beautiful and perfect. I have absolutely no complaints about Jamie. His sets are amazing and his customer service is unparralled. I got my order very quickly and it exceeded all my expectations. He has a partner that handles a lot of the orders, questions and dealing with customers and this guy is informative and polite. The extra person means he can produce a lot more sets quicker. If i was going to have to choose between those two i would definitely go schoolcraft, i figure if its good enough for Homer, than its good enough for anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
It takes time for quality work.

agreed, but he's not using that time to do the work, he wouldn't have even been starting the set for 6 months. he's that backed up with orders. im not knocking his work, ive heard nothing but good things about him. Im just saying that schoolcraft work is also amazing and much quicker and better customer service

Sep 7, 2008
He's backed up with orders for a reason, the same reason Schoolcraft is not. Quality. Schoolcraft coins are nice, but don't compare to Lassen coins. If you need your coins fast, I guess he is the way to go. If you have patience and want the best, Lassen is your guy.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
He's backed up with orders for a reason, the same reason Schoolcraft is not. Quality. Schoolcraft coins are nice, but don't compare to Lassen coins. If you need your coins fast, I guess he is the way to go. If you have patience and want the best, Lassen is your guy.

I dunno, ive heard that they get about comparable orders as far as quantity. And im aware that Lassen does use a different method for his sets and that it does have a higher quality from what i have heard. and like i said i do intend to get one eventually but thats a crazy long wait, and the reason i went with schoolcraft was two fold, for one, schoolcraft does make really good quality sets that are amazing, and two the customer service is like night and day between the two.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
You're saying you get the lesser quality set because your impatient.

kinda, its more like saying im getting a jaguar instead of a royle's royce, two high quality and i choose one for alternative reasons. And i checked and people's opinions ranged on the two and not everyone agree's he's the best over schoolcraft. So i figured id pick up both and made the choice to get schoolcraft first because of many reasons (one of which was time) which makes sense if its supposed to be first. but i intend to get a set from both

Sep 7, 2008
Everyone who has seen both coins will like Lassen better. The people who never had a Lassen coin will say Schoolcraft.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Everyone who has seen both coins will like Lassen better. The people who never had a Lassen coin will say Schoolcraft.

haha ok well then im glad i will be picking a set up. im not hear to argue just to share my experiences with both people and my impression on my schoolcraft set. You seem to have a very firm opinion of Lassen's sets and i respect that, i was just trying to make the point that if you get either your getting excellent products. hope you have a merry christmas and everyone else does as well.

~josh

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results