Flourish on purpose

Flourish on purpose is the idea that card handling is about more then filling time or looking cool. A flourish should add value to a trick and be as rehearsed as the trick itself. In the bittle trick on theory 11's one on one training, Katie spins her revealed card in a way which reveals it to the magician... also in the gator boots video (great trick 5 out of 5) the spectator flicks the card upon revealing it and then flicks it again before placing it on the deck. It's clear that these flourish reveals have become nothing more then hollow filler. In the conversation between illusionist and spectator, spins and clicks have become the uhs, ums, oks and likes, void of purpose.
I want this thread to be a place for people to discuss effective use of flourishing beyond the reason of "because I can"

To start, I feel you shouldn't flourish at all if you're the spectator. You need to be able to identify when you're performing and when you're not. If you can't get that much right then you're in trouble.

(Quick note, this thread is in reference to casual flourishing, not XCM)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 14, 2008
I am not here to argue, but sometimes card flourishing is a great way to handle the cards. For example, to use card flourish to control the chosen card to the top or to the bottom so that the audience would think that it is lost somewhere in the deck. However, you are right in that some performances when you should not able to flourish at all because it would seem a little bit pointless.

Sep 1, 2007
Guys, that's a bad quote because you should never, EVER speak in absolute terms like that.

besides flourishing already has a purpose it's to look cool.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results