Fun Tricks + Something Difficult

Aug 24, 2012
My baby sister is having a birthday party soon and I'd like to do a few cheap, fun magic tricks that I don't really need to have anything prepared(all I got is a deck of cards). Can anyone tell me a few tricks I could do at the birthday party + how to do them? Also, I need a really awesome, complicated trick to show my brother, because every card trick I try, he figures out without even thinking. Please if someone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If it's happening soon, you don't have time to learn anything "awesome" and "complicated". Further, complicated doesn't make it awesome. I suggest you spend some time reading some magic books which will hopefully teach you what magic actually is.

Aug 24, 2012
The "awesome" and "Complicated" one, isn't for the party. The party tricks would just be simple and fun things, something to amuse a 3 year old :p

Apr 29, 2012
What my last post meant, is a three year old doesnt have the patience or the attention span to focus on magic. So don't focus on what your doing, focus on how your doing it. Make it fun, but it will be a little difficult to perform with all the birthday presents and company around. Just do fun, silly tricks that will make a three year old laugh and have fun.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Whats with people and having the inability to just answer a question -.-

Because you're asking the wrong questions and not supplying any information upon which we can base a response. The question, "What are some cool tricks to do?" is pointless because we don't know your style, resources, skill level or Target audience so any suggestion would be a shot in the dark. Likewise, generally only those who don't really know or study magic ask those questions. This is enforced by your thoughts that card tricks will amuse a 3 year old. They won't even be able to identify a card so anything other than basic color changes won't have any effect. Sponge balls, D'lites.. stuff like that will do better.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
My baby sister is having a birthday party soon and I'd like to do a few cheap, fun magic tricks that I don't really need to have anything prepared(all I got is a deck of cards). Can anyone tell me a few tricks I could do at the birthday party + how to do them? Also, I need a really awesome, complicated trick to show my brother, because every card trick I try, he figures out without even thinking. Please if someone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Welcome to the forums :) Magic is like other art forms, there are artists and creators of tricks. While I'd love to share all the best tricks out there it would disrespectful to the creators out there if I did. The best place to start is the library or you could get a classic book like Royal Road to Card magic.

As far as free things go check out this link to the classic color change HERE It will take a little practice to do correctly. Another couple of things are available on the WIRE. You could check out this linking rubber band effect HERE. This is a prety great card routine for free, it will take some work but looks nice HERE. No More Card Tricks by Jeff Prace is easy to do and may fool your brother HERE. If you're looking for a random fun trick try "Tacky" it's not the most fooling thing but it uses random objects and is a fun quick trick HERE

A common problem with beginners who have a hard time fooling others is the double lift. They rely heavily on a very difficult sleight. You can try to avoid tricks that use the double lift or you can work hard to improve the double lift. If this is your problem you might check out this post by Aaron Fisher HERE

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah

Just to add to my last post I'd like to clarify a couple things.

1. Three year olds are a tough audience. If you are silly or have a fun personality just about anything will work.

2. You've heard the phrase "A magician never reveals his secret". This is still true even among magicians for the most part. If you want to learn a secret there is a price to pay. Either by your time or money you kind of have to earn secrets, for the most part.

3. Just because a trick is complicated or difficult doesn't mean it will fool your brother. Often times the very simple tricks requiring almost no sleight of hand are the most fooling. Keep that in mind.

Mar 6, 2012
I recommend some of the classic tricks for your little sister like vanishing silk and cups and balls and if you wanna fool your brother try tricks like fade by Chris Mayhew or Clench by Calen Morelli.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I recommend some of the classic tricks for your little sister like vanishing silk and cups and balls and if you wanna fool your brother try tricks like fade by Chris Mayhew or Clench by Calen Morelli.

I like Fade and Clench but they are bothe very hard to do. They are sleight intensive. I would suggest something self working like "Do as I Do". It is in Royal Road.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Hey glowstick, I'd love to hear how it went :) I tried to help you out. Some of those effects are really great :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results