Funniest things you've heard from people who aren't familiar with cards?

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Btw, just asking, isn't it just kinda annoying when you do a card effect, put all so much emotion and drama in it that Netflix would be jealous AND the spectators react AWESOMELY and behave as if they have found the Holy Grail...and then when someone asks them what happened, they look at their friend and say,"Oh, [insert your name] just showed me a card trick!"

Me (mentally): After all this time?

Spectator (mentally): Always.
Joshua Jay did a study and found that card tricks are the least memorable of all magic. That's not to say least enjoyable though. They're sort of the equivalent of a summer action movie you watch once, have a good time, and then forget about. However, if you include something else in the trick (a lemon, the ceiling, the omni deck), the tricks become much more memorable.

I think it's annoying when I'm trying to do a "magician in trouble" and purposely show the wrong card and they're like "yup that was it". Sometimes it's just the other card of the same color (ex: the other red 7) but other times I've had their friends correct them and it was a completely different card. Like I'll show a 6 of clubs and they're like "that was it!" and then their friend goes "No it was a 3 of hearts".

Edit: I sometimes get reactions just from the way I spread the cards. I don't do a lepaul or anything fancy. They're just like "oooh that was smooth".

If you wish to solve the dilemma since the younger generation have phones as early as age 5 (true), ask them to take a photo of the card and that is visual confirmation. Therefore when the trick is done, they have an added visual left with them and you can use in case they have no idea what card they chose.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
If you wish to solve the dilemma since the younger generation have phones as early as age 5 (true), ask them to take a photo of the card and that is visual confirmation. Therefore when the trick is done, they have an added visual left with them and you can use in case they have no idea what card they chose.
That's actually a good idea. I usually don't have people sign cards because I'm cheap so that could work! Thank You!

Reactions: UrbanEntityTV

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Btw, just asking, isn't it just kinda annoying when you do a card effect, put all so much emotion and drama in it that Netflix would be jealous AND the spectators react AWESOMELY and behave as if they have found the Holy Grail...and then when someone asks them what happened, they look at their friend and say,"Oh, [insert your name] just showed me a card trick!"

Me (mentally): After all this time?

Spectator (mentally): Always.

A magician asked me if I liked card tricks. I said no. He then showed me five of them.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Worst I ever get is people thinking the method is some kind of battery controlled cards or ones that change in the light or something to that effect. I do blank deck and color changing deck routines all the time and people tend to think the cards are electronic somehow.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Worst I ever get is people thinking the method is some kind of battery controlled cards or ones that change in the light or something to that effect. I do blank deck and color changing deck routines all the time and people tend to think the cards are electronic somehow.
I get stuff like that a lot too. One of the funniest I had was a few years ago, I did the two card monte on this guy and after the reveal that both cards had changed, he had his friend hold one and kept trying to do the "Switch" move to see if they'd turn back to aces. Of course, sometimes when I do a color change, people think it's heat/light reactive ink. It's kinda funny tbh

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results