Had a Psychic Reading

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
For this very reason I do believe someone claiming to have real psychic powers is very dangerous. This can easily be misused.

But I also don't agree with someone trying to disprove mystical things just because it doesn't fit into the framework of their beliefs.
I can see where you're coming from but if you realize that someone's beliefs pose a danger to someone psychologically or emotionally, don't we then have a moral obligation to stop that from happening? I mean this is basically the way Darren Brown sees it and it's because he also thinks it's dangerous.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I can see where you're coming from but if you realize that someone's beliefs pose a danger to someone psychologically or emotionally, don't we then have a moral obligation to stop that from happening? I mean this is basically the way Darren Brown sees it and it's because he also thinks it's dangerous.
What Derren Brown did was to major psychic associations and major people in that field, not to individual beliefs.

Let me put it this way (and in no way is this meant to target or offend someone). You can tell a conspiracy theorist why his idea is wrong, you can back it up with evidence, but you are not going to turn him to your side easily. You could probably have hours upon hours of conversation on the topic without even getting him to accept your opinion. This pretty much goes with any form of belief (Religious, moral, personal, ethical, whatever) because at the end of the day, we are simply living our lives based on the ideas we think we should live by. So Derren didn't exactly hurt the beliefs of psychics out there (and for the most part, you probably wont if you tell a "psychic" that he's a phony).

Reactions: DisasterTheory
Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
What Derren Brown did was to major psychic associations and major people in that field, not to individual beliefs.

Let me put it this way (and in no way is this meant to target or offend someone). You can tell a conspiracy theorist why his idea is wrong, you can back it up with evidence, but you are not going to turn him to your side easily. You could probably have hours upon hours of conversation on the topic without even getting him to accept your opinion. This pretty much goes with any form of belief (Religious, moral, personal, ethical, whatever) because at the end of the day, we are simply living our lives based on the ideas we think we should live by. So Derren didn't exactly hurt the beliefs of psychics out there (and for the most part, you probably wont if you tell a "psychic" that he's a phony).
Well, what I mean is, I realize one's personal beliefs are something very difficult to change. I'd never want to do that to someone anyway. However, I'm more referring to the idea that the customer of a "psychic" believing the person is psychic, can be psychologically and emotionally dangerous for the person getting the reading if they truly believe that it's their dead loved one talking to them for example. Darren Brown doesn't target the beliefs of the psychic, he targets the belief of the audience. He wants the audience to know that it's a trick so that they don't fall for it.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Well, what I mean is, I realize one's personal beliefs are something very difficult to change. I'd never want to do that to someone anyway. However, I'm more referring to the idea that the customer of a "psychic" believing the person is psychic, can be psychologically and emotionally dangerous for the person getting the reading if they truly believe that it's their dead loved one talking to them for example. Darren Brown doesn't target the beliefs of the psychic, he targets the belief of the audience. He wants the audience to know that it's a trick so that they don't fall for it.
Yeah, this is true. Totally misread your post lol

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Don't get me wrong I do understand that this can be cold reading. It was just so weird. I wish I could get to the bottom of it and prove either way haha I am thinking of pressing my friend for specific details. What do you think?

I think if you can do it tactfully then do it! I have to jump on the band wagon and say that the reading fits me perfectly as well. If it is accurate to many of us perhaps there is a statistical probability that it works for most. So, if he was really psychic he could have gotten more specific. If he's a fraud he could have gotten more specific through nefarious means. If he's a shut eye, maybe he said something and he got lucky.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Or maybe he's a cross-dimensional psychic and made you imagine the whole thing.....

Spooky spooky.

In all seriousness though, I really doubt he used anything that wasn't already said in this thread. And since he is a friend of yours, why not ask him?

Feb 1, 2017
I can see where you're coming from but if you realize that someone's beliefs pose a danger to someone psychologically or emotionally, don't we then have a moral obligation to stop that from happening?

I do. Yes. On the grounds that you feel you have a moral obligation to do so because you, as a reasonable person, see imminent danger; however, I don't agree that one should call a psychic out, or disprove something mystical just because we can't agree with something that sits outside of our beliefs.

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I do. Yes. On the grounds that you feel you have a moral obligation to do so because you, as a reasonable person, see imminent danger; however, I don't agree that one should call a psychic out, or disprove something mystical just because we can't agree with something that sits outside of our beliefs.
I really think it depends on how it's used. Personally I find nothing wrong with mentalism, cold reading, or mental magic. I use methods for getting others to think of numbers, cards, etc for effects. I think it depends on how it's presented and what understanding the person being read has of the situation.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I think Christopher is dead on with this.

This is my hunch. Your friend believes he has a psychic gift. Some might call him a shut eye. From what I'm getting, it doesn't sound like the guy is using any special technique or being dishonest at all. He probably has read a book or two on how to give psychic readings (probably a book by someone else who believes they are psychic) and has had a number of psychic readings himself. He's most likely regurgitating the type of reading that he has received in the past.

To back up what Christopher said about magicians and cold readings Bob Cassidy said this, "(I am) constantly amused by the number of magicians and neophyte mentalists who actually believe that cold reading is simply a matter of spouting out generalized statements like 'I get the impression that while you appear calm and collected on the outside, you are actually very screwed up on the inside, and might have a scar on your left knee or somewhere. You also have a friend with an A in their name.

"This, (I point) out, has nothing to do with cold reading, which is an art based on years of observing and remembering things that people who have day jobs have no time to deal with."

Your friend was probably someone like this:

This lady honestly believes that she can look at someone and guess their star sign based on the traits they exhibit. If she was to give you a reading she would probably be better than 99% of magicians. She doesn't use a system though, she doesn't have a method. She'd use Barnum statements and she would cold read you, but she doesn't know that is what she is doing. She's just trying to use her psychic powers. We know that means she will be guessing and using her intuition a lot but she thinks she is following something more super natural.
What's really weird is I can guess people's birth month just by talking to them for a bit. I have surprising accuracy. I have no idea why but I don't think I'm psychic. I just have good "luck" I guess.

Mar 9, 2018
It is looking like cold reading to me as well. He could be a psychic. This I can say because one of my friend had a reading [removed advertising link] and the psychic old her about her past and future as well. They have unique abilities to have a look at our past and future as well. So, the person may be a psychic or someone who possess some psychic abilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
It is looking like cold reading to me as well. He could be a psychic. This I can say because one of my friend had a reading [removed advertising link] and the psychic old her about her past and future as well. They have unique abilities to have a look at our past and future as well. So, the person may be a psychic or someone who possess some psychic abilities.
Or they’re good at cold reading

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results