Homer Liwag's coins

Mar 18, 2009
Hey everyone,

i was just wondering if anyone knew what type of coin Homer Liwag uses, and if so, where to find them?

Thanks.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Homer uses a Soft Morgan Set from Jamie Schoolcraft. It might be a dean's set, actually i think it is. Also Homer's has been heavily modified but you dont need that. Just a Morgan set, dean's set if you wanna be specific is what he uses. here's the link

schoolcraft

Jul 8, 2008
Yup. Soft Morgans which he darkened himself from what i've heard. Also the shell. The only thing is, these coins are going to cost you about 50 bucks or so if you find the right place. They go for reeeeally expensive!

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Yup. Soft Morgans which he darkened himself from what i've heard. Also the shell. The only thing is, these coins are going to cost you about 50 bucks or so if you find the right place. They go for reeeeally expensive!

haha 50 bucks? your kidding right. maybe for a cheap set, the one's that Homer uses cost closer to $500. a basic soft dean's set costs 300, plus i think homer's are 1921 which are more and he has some very specific extra's within his set. I dont know about him darkening them himself, Jamie usually spends a lot of time making sure all his coins match himself but its possible.

yeah a good custom set of Morgan coins from Lassen or Schoolcraft is gonna run you around 300 dollars .. myself i've been hitting ebay for about 2 months and change tracking down several 1921 Morgan dollars that come close to the same wear on em.. got myself 6 of them now, had to do a little sanding here and there to get them closer to looking like each other and then aging them. hopefully in a couple of months when i have some cash to spare i can send them off to get re-milled and have shell made.

some pics i took and posted on twitter today.

-Abe

Sep 7, 2008
I think he was talking about Morgans, not the Expanded or Unexpanded Shell. Morgans can cost anywhere up to around $22 each. Obviously, an Expanded Shell is going to cost a lot more. If you aren't willing to save up for a Lassen, or even a Schoolcraft, Johnson makes them for around $90.

www.themagicwarehouse.com

Jul 8, 2008
Yea, like I said, you can find JUST the MORGANS for around $50 for 4 if you are lucky and find the right place. I found a place that I bargained down to $14 a piece and I got 3 of them.

yeah a good custom set of Morgan coins from Lassen or Schoolcraft is gonna run you around 300 dollars .. myself i've been hitting ebay for about 2 months and change tracking down several 1921 Morgan dollars that come close to the same wear on em.. got myself 6 of them now, had to do a little sanding here and there to get them closer to looking like each other and then aging them. hopefully in a couple of months when i have some cash to spare i can send them off to get re-milled and have shell made.

some pics i took and posted on twitter today.

-Abe

If magic had their own version of playboy, these would easily make the cut.
Superb coins! I wish I had some worn and identical!

Sep 15, 2007
Homer does not use a Deans set.
He uses an expanded shell with Morgan silvers.
He also uses Walking liberties.

An expanded shell set will allow you to borrow the coins if someone has them where as a Deans set will not. Why would anyone use an unexpanded shell over an expanded one is amazing to me.

You can find Morgans and other coins at Coin shops and Pawn Shops. Expect to pay for the Morgans about $21 right now and if you ask for Slicks or Slickers, maybe even Junk Silver coins then you can save as much as $5 a coin.

Homer mentions how and why he darkens his coins to match. He uses bleach to darken them and then uses steel wool to highlight. It works very well using his method.

The Johnson Shell works great and I have been using mine for over 18yrs. I had them make mine in an 1887 not a 1921. They can custom make them for you and it does not cost extra.
Later,
Snorri

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Homer does not use a Deans set.
He uses an expanded shell with Morgan silvers.
He also uses Walking liberties.

An expanded shell set will allow you to borrow the coins if someone has them where as a Deans set will not. Why would anyone use an unexpanded shell over an expanded one is amazing to me.

You can find Morgans and other coins at Coin shops and Pawn Shops. Expect to pay for the Morgans about $21 right now and if you ask for Slicks or Slickers, maybe even Junk Silver coins then you can save as much as $5 a coin.

Homer mentions how and why he darkens his coins to match. He uses bleach to darken them and then uses steel wool to highlight. It works very well using his method.

The Johnson Shell works great and I have been using mine for over 18yrs. I had them make mine in an 1887 not a 1921. They can custom make them for you and it does not cost extra.
Later,
Snorri

just a quick question... when's the last time someone handed you four Morgan's and said here do magic, and THEN you were forced to secretly add in your Expanded shell and hope it matches the color.

I could see a kennedy or a quarter, but a morgan or a walking? i dunno

Mar 29, 2008

unexpanded shell sets have the other coins sized down to perfectly fit that shell, you can find coins that fit very well in an expanded shell, but they will almost never fit as well as a unexpanded set. Some people prefer their tools to be as perfect as possible.

homerliwag

theory11 artist // director of design, david coppe
Sep 4, 2007
Las Vegas
www.homerliwag.com
Deans Set

I actually use a Dean's set because I like the look of the entire set as a whole. With Expanded sets, the expanded shell stands out ever so slightly. It seems that a gimmick is more noticeable when it is larger than it should be. It is really a matter of preference. If you present your coin routines well, it doesn't matter what kind of set you use. I don't go around borrowing silver Morgan's from my audience so I don't need an expanded shell that fits over any Morgan.

Thanks,

Homer

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results