How does one become a magician?

Oct 31, 2007
Kent, Washington
Okay.

Well let me start off by saying that i just recently joined thoery11 and i'm totally impressed by everything that i am seeing. Now the subject for this forum is how does one become a magician, ok well i know how one becomes a magician but im not talking about your run of the mill party planned magician what im asking is how does someone get the cool job of being like wayne houchin , lee asher, or dan and dave. becuase ive been a fan of magic my whole life been doing it for off and on for the past couple of years and im not one of those people who are just trying to get rich quick.

I'm just curious to how someone would go about following in there footsteps so that i myself can become an artist in the field of magic????

Please if anyone can help me with my question feel free..:D

Sep 2, 2007
Creating one thing will not get you anywhere accept into the Hall of One-Trick Wonders. To really succeed at this business, you need talent, discipline, and creativity. To be a big shot like the guys at T11 or E, you need all of those things in copious amounts. There's nothing easy about it. It takes years and years of dedication to get halfway to where most of these guys are.

Oct 21, 2007
People have different opinions on this matter. I believe that to become a magician takes many years. I am not saying it takes 10 years or whatever. What I am saying is it takes years of crowd performance to become a magician.

To a person that isn't into magic or they just watch magic, illusions, etc etc they will call them magicians. But in my eye's, it comes down to years of performance with a crowd or groups of people, experienced in audience managment, presentations, stories, and so forth.

there are a few skills that I believe need the experience before I call someone a magician. there are many types of magicians of course, and to me those that are experienced are magicians even though it's magicians that work only with cards, coins, or anything else. Of course they are magicians, but for me, magicians also do cards & coins, or cards and something else. I hate doing coin magic, I swear it's one of the most tedious skills, but I do it anyways. Yet I don't call myself a magician, I do perform infront of groups but I still have a longways to go to get that experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
BigMagic, no offense man, but you sound like one of those "trying to get rich quick" people. You want to know how to get a "cool job". "Fan of magic"? Sorry, I highly doubt your words.

On topic: You become a magician be doing magic. Simple.

- harapan. magic!

How to become a magician? Practice. The more you practice, the better you get, the better you get, the more rewards you get. I can't really think of any "great" magician that wasn't a workaholic.

Oct 31, 2007
create something new in magic and people will notice you. that is how you be like the T11 guys. other wise just maket yourself well.

Not all t11 artists are magicians. Even if you create something new, it has to have a buzz around it for it to go anywhere. I could create magic foot powder, and it wouldn't make me a magician.

You don't need to be on a website, releasing effects every few months to be a magician. If you believe that you give the art 110%, all the time, and you dedicate yourself to changing it, and inspiring new ideas, then my friend, you are a magician. You don't need the paycheck, or a coffee mug to say it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results