How important are warm-ups?

Feb 23, 2008
I know that both XB and the Trilogy have sections on hand warm-ups/finger exercises. How many of you consider this a must? Or is it something that can really be overlooked (as I know it often is)?

Oct 21, 2007
its really all up to you, it mostly depends on the condition your fingers are in... for example if you just woke up you might wanna warm up, and if you just finnished with a 3 hour halo session warming up may not be nessecary...
usualy not warming up fingers is the last thing i worry about, but one thing that i really hate is moist hands!

guy

Sep 1, 2007
tampa fl
www.myspace.com
i warm up and do finger exercises every day. i have irwins book(the guy from xb vol 1). i do his exercises, and the ones from the trilogy. doing them has helped me alot and my flourishing has gotten much better. in the morining i do some exercises and when i get off of work i do them too. hand strength and dexterity are a must in xcm. i also do some warm ups before i practice my magic and xcm. i hate it when my hands are too moist and when my hands get really dry(i have a hard time handling a deck if my hands are dry cause of my job).

guy

Sep 1, 2007
tampa fl
www.myspace.com
its really all up to you, it mostly depends on the condition your fingers are in... for example if you just woke up you might wanna warm up, and if you just finnished with a 3 hour halo session warming up may not be nessecary...
usualy not warming up fingers is the last thing i worry about, but one thing that i really hate is moist hands!

lol, you got a point there. going through a serious halo or gears of war session may be all that you really need to warm up.

It all really depends on your personal preference really. If I just woke up I do them. But if I have been up for a few hours my fingers are usually good-to-go. Sometimes I warm up by doing simple 3 packet flourishes and one-handed cuts. It's up to you really.

-Eric*Walling

Jun 18, 2008
USA
I think that anyone who wishes to enhance his or her flourishing should do some sort of exercise(s) for their fingers/hands.

I've done card magic on and off for about five years, and just got into flourishing recently. The finger exercises in The Trilogy have increased my packet control by strengthening my fingers and enhancing my finger dexterity.

I do the exercises for 10 minutes straight when I wake up, and then I have smaller sessions throughout the day, whenever I take the time (usually before I pick up my cards, if it's been a few hours since I've used 'em.) Of course, if you've been flourishing for a while and are pretty advanced, I doubt you'd need to do the exercises this many times/this often.

Sep 1, 2007
austria
for me it's definitely not a must, but i do it anyways, but in a different way. what i mean is i don't really use finger exercises on a regular basis or as a part of my practice routine, but i often do them when i'm bored or when i have some time but no cards. the great thing is that you don't need anything, it doesn't draw as much attention as playing with cards and you can't drop anything ;-)
i think the finger exercises can help you with flourishing, but when you're really into flourishing you handle your cards alot, and with time and practice you develop the strength and flexibitlity you need naturally.

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
I agree with hawk7. I mostly do finger exercises when i can't have a deck in my hands. I have noticed an improvement in my dexterity as a result. It is also good for the cartilage in your joints to warm them up. It may not have a noticeable effect now but your hands and joints will thank you in the future. Cheers!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results