How to come up with card tricks

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I do have the basic knowledge I just learn tricks and the people I learn them from don't give a name to their effects I just needed to know the effects names to distinguish what trick is what

I guess we have different definitions of knowledge. From the sound of it, I suspect most of your learning is from people teaching effects that aren't theirs on YouTube. Not the best way to learn.

For me, I wouldn't advise even trying to create a card trick without having read Royal Road, Expert Card Technique, Eneyclopedia of Card Tricks, Card Control, Expert at the Card Table, Counts Cuts & Subtleties, the entire Card College Series, a good dose of Vernon, Marlo and Jennings as well as a bunch of books by folks like Paul Harris, Nick Trost, John Bannon, John Gustaferro, Guy Hollingsworth and others.

Reactions: DominusDolorum

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I don't think there's a single channel out there that can teach enough to be ready to create usable, practical magic. Even the "best" channels which aim to teach, only do so in a hodge podge manner. You're not going to get the history or what's been done before without references.

Well, usable, practical magic that wasn't published a hundred years ago.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I don't think there's a single channel out there that can teach enough to be ready to create usable, practical magic. Even the "best" channels which aim to teach, only do so in a hodge podge manner. You're not going to get the history or what's been done before without references.

Yeah the channels them selves cannot teach you how to make tricks, and only a couple can teach you the moves one may actually use. Actually I can only think of 52Kards, which will break down moves and give you references in the description, and technically is more than a YouTube channel due to there online courses and Library on the website. Besides, you need to know how to use the move to actually apply it. Thats the beauty in making your own tricks. Every other channel is more or less complete tricks.

Reactions: Lindel
Oct 12, 2016
Utah
I'll second that. 52Kards is legitimate. Sure, it shouldn't be your only source if you're serious about magic, but anyone who is serious about it will realize that. In my opinion it's an entirely valid supplement, and as far as I know they don't post content without the proper sources. I started out with 52Kards myself, and that's actually what led me into the larger magic community.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I'll second that. 52Kards is legitimate. Sure, it shouldn't be your only source if you're serious about magic, but anyone who is serious about it will realize that. In my opinion it's an entirely valid supplement, and as far as I know they don't post content without the proper sources. I started out with 52Kards myself, and that's actually what led me into the larger magic community.
Same here.

Jun 22, 2017
I think you guys are wrong about that. There is also Chris Ramsay who actually knows the books that have been named. I have a good amount of technique in my head from magic on YouTube so thanks for the help so far from people who gave me a list of effects but this is all I needed to help so thanks.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I think you guys are wrong about that. There is also Chris Ramsay who actually knows the books that have been named. I have a good amount of technique in my head from magic on YouTube so thanks for the help so far from people who gave me a list of effects but this is all I needed to help so thanks.
Ok, but let me tell you something.
Chris has a great channel, but he doesn't teach any moves. All of his tutorials for magic are complete tricks, which is fine. But in order to create your own tricks, you need to have a basic understanding of a whole array of moves, not just a few. Pick up some of the books he recommends. They are great! Start with The Royal Road!

Jun 22, 2017
Why can't anyone help a fellow magician out? We don't tell our tricks to spectators but we can teach each other. Please cut me some slack.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Why can't anyone help a fellow magician out? We don't tell our tricks to spectators but we can teach each other. Please cut me some slack.
We really are trying to help you my g. I'm just saying it will be significantly easier if you pick up a book. You will not only get a list of classic effects, but moves to help you start creating them.

I could give you a list of effects, but they won't be much help to you if you don't know what's going on in them.

I seriously recommend picking up The Royal Road to Card Magic, it has a full list of classic effects and moves. It is perfect for you!

Reactions: DominusDolorum
Jun 22, 2017
When I get some money I'll buy the book and try to read it I'm not that great at getting tricks from books I actually need to see it. Plus I have a book that I don't think is any help it's called More Card Manipulations series 1-4 tell me if that is any good for a book

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
When I get some money I'll buy the book and try to read it I'm not that great at getting tricks from books I actually need to see it. Plus I have a book that I don't think is any help it's called More Card Manipulations series 1-4 tell me if that is any good for a book
More card manipulations is a bit more advanced than you need. Its like, the advanced stuff not in Royal Road. More Card Manipulations is more of some hard moves, little to no full tricks. Royal road has a ton of tricks. Same author (partially) though. You can click "look inside" on the link I gave you to see an example, though you can literally ask anyone. Plus, its only 3 USD for a kindle edition, about 8 USD for paperback. Your a fan of Ramsay? This book (RR) is recommended in his book video, and some others.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008

See, that's the thing. We are helping you - just not in the way you want us to. We're giving you the advice to actually achieve what you asked to achieve, which takes work, and study. Whereas you seem to want it handed to you on a silver plate.

If you want to create new and unique magic, you have to understand what has come before you. To do that, you have to read. 80% of magic is in books. Most videos out there are rehashes of the same stuff that was printed a hundred years ago in books. Erdnase is still considered the bible of magic and it was written in 1902. If you study that you will see the roots of most card magic done today.

Learn to learn from books, or be satisfied with the fact that you'll likely recreate the same stuff that's already been around for a century.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That will help some, but cardistry is more juggling than magic. As in, it is skill in manipulating objects in an obvious, displayed way.

There's not much cardistry outside of flourishes in books.

Jun 22, 2017
I have the expert card technique book and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the techniques in their I also have the expert at the card table and the royal road to Card magic coming this week so if anyone can tell me the slights in there that would be helpful

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I have the expert card technique book and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the techniques in their I also have the expert at the card table and the royal road to Card magic coming this week so if anyone can tell me the slights in there that would be helpful
Just look through the table of contents, or check conjuringarchive.com

There are wayyyyy too many to list out lol

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results