How to stop popping fingers and biting nails?

Aug 28, 2017
Yes. I know what you are thinking, this is a REALLY strange question, but it is a bad habit of mine, and if I want to do magic when I am old I need to stop. Any advice?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Cracking your knuckles doesn't really do any damage. That's a myth.

There's stuff you can get that tastes super bitter and nasty to paint on your nails that will likely break the habit.

But in reality, it's just a matter of becoming aware of it and stopping yourself.

Aug 15, 2017
I feel that bad habits can mostly be removed by developing other habits. Atleast, I find that much more effective than trying to avoid my bad habits. And there are plenty of good habits out there to try!
Honestly speaking, I have never been plagued by those particular bad habits and never bit my nails either (*bows down*) but am sure you can think of some alternate habits to develop?
Really difficult to answer your question since you did not mention WHEN you do the above things.
Do you do them while performing? Popping fingers is fine, but I do think it will be difficult to even INTENTIONALLY bite your nails while preforming because of the adrenaline rush.
Or do you do them just in general?
I feel if it is the former, and you actually bite your nails while performing, you can

1) Focus more on the spectator and her/his reactions. Like, imagine you have only that SINGLE person to impress the hell out of. Focus on his emotions and how he perceives the magic. That will improve you as a performer and prevent you from biting nails, though you might not want to become such an emotional performer, but I don't think there is any wrong in that (it is definitely better than biting your nails).
2) Always have something to do. Some magicians take the advice to perform slowly extra seriously and it is painful to watch them (though I would prefer that to a fast-forwarded performance. Maybe you can try increasing your pace so that your hands are not left empty too long? As long as the rhythm is correct, I guess you can try this.

Once you get rid of your bad habits, it will be easy to modify your performance so that you do not seem over emotional or too fast (maybe, sometimes even fast magicians have a unique charm). You should focus on your mentioned bad habits right now IF they hamper your performance, because if they don't, honestly, the audience won't care even if you smoke after the trick as long as the impact is great.

Lastly...I feel this is just temporary and you will come out of it soon. These habits are generally easy to deal with yourself. Best of Luck!

IMPORTANT NOTE:- Do not smoke. It may make you appear all cool, but it really wont be that cool when you die from lung cancer or something, believe me. What I said above is said in pure fun...I am NOT to be held responsible for the diseases any irresponsible and idiot people here suffer due to smoking. There's a reason cigarettes are also called 'death sticks' and 'coffin nails'. There's a lesson there :)

Sorry, I just HAD to include that note! :) :)

Aug 28, 2017
I feel that bad habits can mostly be removed by developing other habits. Atleast, I find that much more effective than trying to avoid my bad habits. And there are plenty of good habits out there to
Honestly speaking, I have never been plagued by those particular bad habits and never bit my nails either (*bows down*) but am sure you can think of some alternate habits to develop?
Really difficult to answer your question since you did not mention WHEN you do the above things.
Do you do them while performing? Popping fingers is fine, but I do think it will be difficult to even INTENTIONALLY bite your nails while preforming because of the adrenaline rush.
Or do you do them just in general?
I feel if it is the former, and you actually bite your nails while performing, you can

1) Focus more on the spectator and her/his reactions. Like, imagine you have only that SINGLE person to impress the hell out of. Focus on his emotions and how he perceives the magic. That will improve you as a performer and prevent you from biting nails, though you might not want to become such an emotional performer, but I don't think there is any wrong in that (it is definitely better than biting your nails).
2) Always have something to do. Some magicians take the advice to perform slowly extra seriously and it is painful to watch them (though I would prefer that to a fast-forwarded performance. Maybe you can try increasing your pace so that your hands are not left empty too long? As long as the rhythm is correct, I guess you can try this.

Once you get rid of your bad habits, it will be easy to modify your performance so that you do not seem over emotional or too fast (maybe, sometimes even fast magicians have a unique charm). You should focus on your mentioned bad habits right now IF they hamper your performance, because if they don't, honestly, the audience won't care even if you smoke after the trick as long as the impact is great.

Lastly...I feel this is just temporary and you will come out of it soon. These habits are generally easy to deal with yourself. Best of Luck!

IMPORTANT NOTE:- Do not smoke. It may make you appear all cool, but it really wont be that cool when you die from lung cancer or something, believe me. What I said above is said in pure fun...I am NOT to be held responsible for the diseases any irresponsible and idiot people here suffer due to smoking. There's a reason cigarettes are also called 'death sticks' and 'coffin nails'. There's a lesson there :)

Sorry, I just HAD to include that note! :) :)
Dang that was a really detailed response, but NOT while performing. Just in general.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Tape your fingers to Popsicle sticks so you can't bend them :)

But on a serious note, I don't think cracking your knuckles or popping your fingers will do much harm. I personally think my fingers feel more comfortable after I crack them. Whether that's placebo or not, idc, but it makes my fingers feel better, so it's not hurting :)

As for the nails, maybe cut/file them down to the point where there isn't enough to bite?

Reactions: docholiday360
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results